Where did you ride today?

As most of every one knows today was the day I completed 75 revolutions around the Sun. So I decided I needed a Birthday Ride down on some of my favorite Foothills ride areas. I left the house around 07:15 and spent the next 40 minutes dodging sleepy eyed morning commuters and doing some testing of the new law that allows for lane filtering, to get across town to the foothills.. Found out I need more practice before I feel comfortable with lane filtering on my Big Versys 1000.. Turned off of Highway 285 onto South Turkey Creek Canyon Rd. and headed up the canyons on my way to the South Platte River. As I have said many times before I immensely enjoy riding along the South Platte, especially early on a crisp September morning. Enjoying the chill in the shadows of the road and then feeling the warmth as I entered into the rising sunlight again. The smell of the wood burning in the fire places as I passed by the houses in the canyon, and the occasional whiff of bacon and egg aroma filtering across the road. Gotta Love riding Colorado in the early morn. Anyway I want to thank everyone for the gracious Birthday wishes and hope I am around next years for more.
1f601.png
Here are a few pictures of today ride.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/NLCi8KaLYkyPn6EE9

Stopped at a local Bicycle Rest Area to adjust my heated liner and gloves. Was a bit chilly this morning. No bicycles out today this early.

SAM_8373.JPG

Some of the early morning residents along the canyon roads.

SAM_8375.JPG

The foliage is starting to change colors along the river.

SAM_8379.JPG

Beautiful morning along the river.

SAM_8381.JPG

Stopped at the country store at Decker's Corner for a cup of coffee and conversation with the locals.

SAM_8383.JPG

More views along the river.

SAM_8386.JPG

Last edited:
I hadn't ridden the :bl13: since stopping in Springville, Utah, coming home from WeSTOC (trailering it the rest of the way, so my wife didn't have to drive home in a storm.

So I finally got it out of the garage and washed it, then took a 51 mile ride (through Kanarraville) to get to the gas station. Some freeway, some town but mostly country!

map-LocalRide.jpg

:hat3:

I see the "What did you do to your ST today?" thread is up to 365 pages. Maybe it's time we have an ongoing "Where did you ride today?" thread. It might be nice to hear where and how long other ride when you get a chance to ride.

You ride to work? You go for a short day ride? You just back from a long ride?

We may as well start a thread an tell each other how great any ride we had was when we ride.

I just did a short get out and about 20 mile ride. I rode down Pensacola's Scenic Highway which meanders down the western edge of Escambia bay Florida. Looped back through town and back to the house. The old ST1300 is running fine and the weather was blue skies and near 85 degrees. Great day for a ride.

I see the "What did you do to your ST today?" thread is up to 365 pages. Maybe it's time we have an ongoing "Where did you ride today?" thread. It might be nice to hear where and how long other ride when you get a chance to ride.

You ride to work? You go for a short day ride? You just back from a long ride?

We may as well start a thread an tell each other how great any ride we had was when we ride.

I just did a short get out and about 20 mile ride. I rode down Pensacola's Scenic Highway which meanders down the western edge of Escambia bay Florida. Looped back through town and back to the house. The old ST1300 is running fine and the weather was blue skies and near 85 degrees. Great day for a ride.
To work ,70 mile round trip.beautifull sunny morning. Around 70f daytime temp here.Life is good on the silky smooth ST

just a short ride across town to TY's coffee shop, he had live music too

Attachments

• 20240919_192124.jpg
    20240919_192124.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240919_192344.jpg
    20240919_192344.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240919_192354.jpg
    20240919_192354.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240919_193234.jpg
    20240919_193234.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240919_193400.jpg
    20240919_193400.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240919_193414.jpg
    20240919_193414.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240919_195526.jpg
    20240919_195526.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 7
The riding portion of our trip ended yesterday. We had stayed the last night in a paradore. If you are ever in Spain, I highly recommend them. A chain of very nice hotels that mostly are old converted castles, monasteries, etc. Owned by the government. Interesting story.

Yesterday morning we slabbed in back to Madrid as we had to get the bikes back.

The paradore was in Jarandilla de la vera
IMG_20240919_171158378_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240919_150303201_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240919_171325060.jpg
cIMG_20240919_171046092_HDR.jpg
Rode about 2,000 miles over 10 days. Mostly roads where the corners flowed from one to the other. Lots of fun!!!. Couple of days of bigger roads but less than 10% I would say. I rode a Honda NC750X with a conventional gearbox. It worked very good for here. Could use a bit more braking though. Double front disc would help but easy enough to work around. Only one oopsie. I was descending through a tiny village, down a very steep "street" (about 40 degrees) that was barely wider than the bike when I hit a patch of mud, back wheel kicked out and it pitched me into the stone wall of a house. Went down. Bruised shoulder (and ego) but getting better. Found out how flimsy the side cases are. The shell is thinner than the fairing plastic, and more brittle. Cracked like an egg. Oh well! Still able to close and lock it but I did tie a Rok strap around it for the rest of the trip.
Here is the link to my Spottwalla track. Sorry about the straight line.....forgot to turn my inReach on. Geeze I hate old age

My wife is joining me now, and we are heading to the SW area. Seville, Granada, etc., but taking a car.

Last edited:
I took the ST out this morning on my usual route down the Ida road to Whitewright. I then decided to ride down highway 160 to FM 121 and on the Van Alstyne, TX. It is a nice curvy road and I remembered that we used to take the dealership group rides this way. What I didn't know is the road was under construction and I hit about 5 miles of dirt, gravel and mud (it looks like they spray it with water or oil to keep the dust down.) It was a nice ride otherwise but the dirt road was a bit of a shock on a new-to-me bike and one that's so heavy.

I picked up I75 on my way back and noticed that my speedometer is wildly optimistic. There is no way I am running 85MPH and all those cars passing me like I am backing up!

It was a great day, I was feeling good, rested up saturday, and... I didn't even get out. Studying for my re-re [I'll call them, TSBC requires every three years now] examinations, can't believe I still have to revisit this BS to maintain my proleteriat card, what a drag, well, I'm glad I got that off my chest, my hour must be up. Enjoy life while it presents the opportunity.
ugh, there goes my ride.. again...

Attachments

• IMG_5939.jpg
    IMG_5939.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 20
  • waambulance-serving-whiny-bitchs.jpg
    waambulance-serving-whiny-bitchs.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
As most of every one knows today was the day I completed 75 revolutions around the Sun. So I decided I needed a Birthday Ride down on some of my favorite Foothills ride areas. I left the house around 07:15 and spent the next 40 minutes dodging sleepy eyed morning commuters and doing some testing of the new law that allows for lane filtering, to get across town to the foothills.. Found out I need more practice before I feel comfortable with lane filtering on my Big Versys 1000.. Turned off of Highway 285 onto South Turkey Creek Canyon Rd. and headed up the canyons on my way to the South Platte River. As I have said many times before I immensely enjoy riding along the South Platte, especially early on a crisp September morning. Enjoying the chill in the shadows of the road and then feeling the warmth as I entered into the rising sunlight again. The smell of the wood burning in the fire places as I passed by the houses in the canyon, and the occasional whiff of bacon and egg aroma filtering across the road. Gotta Love riding Colorado in the early morn. Anyway I want to thank everyone for the gracious Birthday wishes and hope I am around next years for more.
1f601.png
Here are a few pictures of today ride.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/NLCi8KaLYkyPn6EE9

Stopped at a local Bicycle Rest Area to adjust my heated liner and gloves. Was a bit chilly this morning. No bicycles out today this early.

SAM_8373.JPG

Some of the early morning residents along the canyon roads.

SAM_8375.JPG

The foliage is starting to change colors along the river.

SAM_8379.JPG

Beautiful morning along the river.

SAM_8381.JPG

Stopped at the country store at Decker's Corner for a cup of coffee and conversation with the locals.

SAM_8383.JPG

More views along the river.

SAM_8386.JPG
I would love to do that ride.

Rode 2 of the 3 Sisters route in Texas Hill County yesterday. Only 185 miles on the ODO, but I was hot and tired when I got back. It took 70 of those miles just to get from my house to 335.

I left Kerrville on Junction Highway and took 1340 in Hunt, TX to 41. Crossed over 83 on 41 in Mountain Home, TX where Garven Store sits on the corner. Droned passed 336 and went on to 335 which is one of my favorite roads in THC. Hung a left on 335 and enjoyed the twisties and roller coaster hills on the way to Barkdale. There wasn't another soul on 335. I had it all to myself. In Barkdale, I took 55 south to Camp Wood, got some fuel, and headed over to Leakey on 337. Stopped at the Bent Rim to get an Ultra Classic burger, fries, and a Dr. Pepper. Burp. Got back on the bike and headed over to Vanderpool on 337 and then continued on 337 over to Medina. Took a right on 16 in Medina and came on home.

Ran into a million small butterflies on the ride. What a mess. Other than that it was a beautiful and safe ride.

IMG_6482.JPGIMG_6487.JPGIMG_6490.JPGIMG_6494.JPG

Rode 2 of the 3 Sisters route in Texas Hill County yesterday. Only 185 miles on the ODO, but I was hot and tired when I got back. It took 70 of those miles just to get from my house to 335.

I left Kerrville on Junction Highway and took 1340 in Hunt, TX to 41. Crossed over 83 on 41 in Mountain Home, TX where Garven Store sits on the corner. Droned passed 336 and went on to 335 which is one of my favorite roads in THC. Hung a left on 335 and enjoyed the twisties and roller coaster hills on the way to Barkdale. There wasn't another soul on 335. I had it all to myself. In Barkdale, I took 55 south to Camp Wood, got some fuel, and headed over to Leakey on 337. Stopped at the Bent Rim to get an Ultra Classic burger, fries, and a Dr. Pepper. Burp. Got back on the bike and headed over to Vanderpool on 337 and then continued on 337 over to Medina. Took a right on 16 in Medina and came on home.

Ran into a million small butterflies on the ride. What a mess. Other than that it was a beautiful and safe ride.

IMG_6482.JPGIMG_6487.JPGIMG_6490.JPGIMG_6494.JPG
Thanks for sharing! I spent about 10 or so years in Kerrville years ago, and know the route you took.

Thanks for sharing! I spent about 10 or so years in Kerrville years ago, and know the route you took.
Nice roads, huh? Not much has changed out there. I encountered very few vehicles and the ones I wanted to pass got over and let me by. Typical Texas courtesy.

I did the route "backwards". I think most people, including me, get out to Leakey on 337 through Medina and Vanderpool. They do the 3 Sisters route from Leakey clockwise going from 337 to 55 to 335 to 41 to 336 to 83. I ride 337 to Leakey all the time so my focus was to ride 335 more than anything else since that's further than I usually go. That required a long drone on 41 which wasn't pleasant but that's the only boring road on the route. To me, 336 isn't all that exciting so I didn't mind skipping it.

As great as the roads are, it's a bit frustrating to ride parts of them on the bike since there's so much to see that you can't safely look at for more than a second.

Back
Top Bottom