CrazyKZ (Curt Gran) - 6/16/2012

I went through my collection of pictures. I've attached a few below. I hope it is proper to post these. I think a few of them show Curt's playful side.

IMG_3608.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_5132.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

Very sorry to read this thread. Like many others I never met Curt but he created something that rides with me every day so he won't be forgotten.
We exchanged a few emails over the past few years as I bought 3 Fuzeblocks.
Enjoy every ride everyone.
Bruce

I re-read this thread just now and wanted to share a story about Curt.

I met Curt at a WI-TechSTOC 2 years ago. He was adjusting the valves on his bike and was basically coming unglued in Steve and Mary-Anne's garage. We were introduced but he clearly was so far beyond PO'd that I wasn't sure he'd even realized anyone was there. Afterward I posted something on the WI TechSTOC thread and mentioned jokingly that it was nice to meet him, even if he was so angry he didn't realize it.

A couple days later I got an email from Curt apologizing for how he'd acted. Now, mind you his frustration was justifiable (it turned out he'd been measuring wrong or had something upside down or whatever), and was pale in comparison to the stream of blue cursing I'd have been releasing were I in his shoes. I thought to myself "now here's a good person." He didn't have to write that email, and he certainly didn't have to explain himself to someone he didn't know. This fits in with the experiences of others who posted above about the fact that he'd talk to people no matter what.

This is a terrible loss - motorcycling is a better past time for having him as an ambassador. We can all learn from Curt that no matter how tired we are, it's worth it to be kind to people and take the time to chat with those who share our sport.

Andy

For reasons I can't explain, I'm having a tough evening thinking about Curt... He made my first "Official" SS1K (MLRSS1K) really feel like a major accomplishment. I walked into that room at the hotel in Casey with Mac and we were both greeted by name and a great big smile... I had always hoped to share some miles with some of my personal ST-Owners heroes... Mac,George,Curt,Terry,Mellow.... :( My list was almost complete...

It's taken me a few days to come up with words... I knew Curt from "the other side", but given our mutual love for motorcycling I believe it's more fitting to post here rather than Facebook. I have found much comfort reading how I wasn't alone in feeling how great of a man we've lost. Bear with me as I share my memories:

I met Curt in 1998; we're fellow electrical engineers with degrees from Madison. In those days he had hair down his back and wore Metallica t-shirts. The look didn't fit him though; he was way too nice, smart, and witty of a guy. He was one of the people that convinced me to get my first motorcycle, a '79 KZ650. We've never actually ridden together, but back then he'd pull out maps and would show me all the best places to ride in WI. I still ride those roads today, several bikes later. He wasn't a LD guy back then but the seeds were forming. He introduced me to my bike mechanic that I still use today.

After we graduated, I saw him only every year or so, but I remember saying to my now wife when we met that she "had to meet Curt, he has the best stories." He could always capture an entire room of people with his stories, and most of all his voice. You just have to listen when he talks.

Fast forward a few years, my wife becomes friends with Cindy's best friend, and we get to know Cindy fairly well. At a Halloween party in '08 Cindy introduces me to her new boyfriend, Curt. Both Curt and I are heavily makeuped in our crazy costumes (oh how I wish I had pictures), and neither of us recognize each other! An hour later something clicks in my brain... I know that *voice*... Curt... GRAN???? Sure enough. We spend the rest of the night reminiscing, with Curt telling me all about his motorcycling exploits. Last year I had the pleasure of attending their wedding as a guest of both the bride and groom; never have I seen a couple more happy (and I've been to >50 weddings!)

I can honestly say that Curt had nothing but praise for all of you. He loved to tell me about his most recent rally, the people he met, the places he saw, the miles he traveled. I had no idea he was such a respected member of the LD community, but it comes as no surprise. I sincerely hope to meet some of you at the services, and I now have a really strong desire to do a MLRSS1k in '13. :) I know one of you will carry on the legacy.

Curt, I will miss you. Everyone will miss you.
Tim

Last edited:
Mac,Carole and George.. I keep checking the obits in our local paper, so far there has been no posting. I am assuming since this happened out of state it is taking a bit longer for the arrangements. As soon as I see the listing with info I will post it to you guys, if Mellow has not gotten the info already.

It's taken me a few days to come up with words... I knew Curt from "the other side", but given our mutual love for motorcycling I believe it's more fitting to post here rather than Facebook. I have found much comfort reading how I wasn't alone in feeling how great of a man we've lost. Bear with me as I share my memories:

I met Curt in 1998; we're fellow electrical engineers with degrees from Madison. In those days he had hair down his back and wore Metallica t-shirts. The look didn't fit him though; he was way too nice, smart, and witty of a guy. He was one of the people that convinced me to get my first motorcycle, a '79 KZ650. We've never actually ridden together, but back then he'd pull out maps and would show me all the best places to ride in WI. I still ride those roads today, several bikes later. He wasn't a LD guy back then but the seeds were forming. He introduced me to my bike mechanic that I still use today.

After we graduated, I saw him only every year or so, but I remember saying to my now wife when we met that she "had to meet Curt, he has the best stories." He could always capture an entire room of people with his stories, and most of all his voice. You just have to listen when he talks.

Fast forward a few years, my wife becomes friends with Cindy's best friend, and we get to know Cindy fairly well. At a Halloween party in '08 Cindy introduces me to her new boyfriend, Curt. Both Curt and I are heavily makeuped in our crazy costumes (oh how I wish I had pictures), and neither of us recognize each other! An hour later something clicks in my brain... I know that *voice*... Curt... GRAN???? Sure enough. We spend the rest of the night reminiscing, with Curt telling me all about his motorcycling exploits. Last year I had the pleasure of attending their wedding as a guest of both the bride and groom; never have I seen a couple more happy (and I've been to >50 weddings!)

I can honestly say that Curt had nothing but praise for all of you. He loved to tell me about his most recent rally, the people he met, the places he saw, the miles he traveled. I had no idea he was such a respected member of the LD community, but it comes as no surprise. I sincerely hope to meet some of you at the services, and I now have a really strong desire to do a MLRSS1k in '13. :) I know one of you will carry on the legacy.

Curt, I will miss you. Everyone will miss you.
Tim

Tim, this is a GREAT story!! A filmscript is in there some where... Curt was not just an LD guy, he was a real "human" guy. There is a picture posted above with Terry presenting an award to Curt. Knowing those two men, that image weighs heavy.
Thanks, Tim, for the story.

I'll update the 1st post as well as create a block on the home page when the info is avail. Don't know what the family wishes are so we do need to respect IF they want this to be an open service, I would think so but I'm not someone that's close to that circle so hopefully someone who is can let us know their wishes.

I am so proud hat I met him, but because of that, I am even sadder to learn of his passing. RIP Curt and have great rides with ACL. My passenger pegs will be down forever.

Back
Top Bottom