CrazyKZ (Curt Gran) - 6/16/2012

I just got the txt from NHDiesel, this is horrible news. I spent as much time as I could with him at Moonshine asking lots of questions about the IBR and learning endurance stratigy from him. He alwayse had time to talk to everyone.

=-(

He always had time to talk to everyone.

That's a great observation, Mike. I talked with Curt on many occasions and interviewed him once (in Terry's garage).

One encounter I recall fondly was when I (finally) arrived at Richards Farm Restaurant the day my bike went dead with an electrical problem on I-70 just shy of St. Louis. As I waited in line to sign in for dinner, there was Curt, checking us all in. With his eyes looking down at his list (and not at me), I found myself on the receiving end of a good-natured dig from Curt for "letting" my bike die by the side of the road. Then he looked up at me and grinned. Then he handed me something and said, "Seems like you could use this." I knew from the shape, packaging and who was handing it to me that it was a Fuzeblock. He knew I had one on my Versys and had spread the word on the Versys forum about what a great product he had created. Seems he'd already planned to give me this one as a way of saying thanks, and what better way to deliver it than with joking reminder of my less-than-stellar day. Every time I ride a part of Curt is with me, in the form of his very clever invention.

I met Curt at my first Moonshine, also at Richards Farm. I was going up to get an award for the 28th longest distance traveled and Curt was handing them out. Until this moment we'd been forum friends but neither had laid eyes on the other. He looked down his list to find Scott Williams ("Who?"), scanned over to my screen name and looked up at me -- "You're Bones? Curt Gran." I got a handshake, a hug and a hearty congratulations for the distance I'd traveled which, coming from Curt, meant a great deal indeed. What a fitting way for a long distance newbie to meet a long distance master.

Wow, what a loss for us all.

:-(

I just learned of this terrible event today. What a loss indeed. I've known Kurt since my first year owning my ST. We've worked on each other's bikes, and I had the deepest respect for him.
Rest in Peace my friend. You will be missed...

Tough news.

Like others have said, he was a good man. I never met him, wish I had.

In the prepartion and build up to his first IBR, Curt placed a link out there where people could donate and help with some of the costs. You could tell that he was reluctant to ask people for money. But his passion was LD riding and his mission was to attack the event and do well. I believe that was the year of the infamous Waffle House debacle. :D

The amount that I sent him was small, but a few months later I received a business card in the mail from him.

On the back he wrote: "Hi Bryan, thank you for the donation. It means alot that people are willing to help suport me even though I'm a bit embarrassed to ask. Regardless....Thanks. Curt. "

It was my honor to help him chase his dream. Godspeed Curt, STOC#5137.

--Bryan, STOC#5197
04ST1300A
:04biker:

I did not know Curt but my heart goes out to his wife and family. As much as we want to be immortal, there seems to be a plan for all of us and no amount of skill will protect us when our time comes. God speed Curt... enjoy the ride.

My prayers and condolences to his family and friends, I'm doubling my efforts to be accepted through the pearly white gates, so that when my time comes I get to ride with Curt, Putt and ACL.

Mike:03biker:

Curt, you will be missed! I am very saddened by this... how much more so his family. My prayers are lifted for them.

I've met Curt a number of times now, all at Moonshine. One instance really stands out. Curt put together the MLRSS1K this year. While checking people in at the Comfort Inn in Casey, he was really excited. And it was not because he had done a great thing for us. It wasn't because he had completed another SS1K. He was excited for the folks that had just completed their FIRST SS1K! It was their excitement that he was sharing, and he almost looked more excited for them than they were! Curt obviously had a heart for others. I hope I can emulate that a little more. RIP Curt!

Back
Top Bottom