"all bikes lead to a Goldwing"

The Horse stance from martial arts is when your heels hips and shoulders are in the same line. That seems to be an ideal riding position too. Doesn’t really matter if you’re more upright or more folded as long as you can keep close to that alignment it seems pretty comfortable. The slight foot forward position of the ‘Wing is one of the things that make me hesitant to buy one. I think that’s going to put more stress on my back. I need to find a place that either rents Wings or a dealer who is going to be cool with a 500+ mile test ride to be sure.

The Horse stance from martial arts is when your heels hips and shoulders are in the same line. That seems to be an ideal riding position too.
Horse, my ass. :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter; there is no such thing as an ideal body. Like the ideal sleeping position, the ideal riding position is total fiction. At the individual level there are too many variables. :wink:

Tom

Last edited:
No limiter on mine either…She’s good for about a buck thirty now.
Still down a few from a 5th Gen. I know Honda knows their focus groups but down a few hp (depending on the dyno), 20 mph down on top end, and less luggage space are head scratchers.

Still down a few from a 5th Gen. I know Honda knows their focus groups but down a few hp (depending on the dyno), 20 mph down on top end, and less luggage space are head scratchers.

I agree about the less luggage space vs the ST1300 being a big deal.

The ST had 3 removable cases and has more usable space. The (Tour) Wing's 3 cases are fixed.

True the new Wing can easily accommodate 2 full faced helmets, but it was designed for that marketing purpose. (And to fix the 2018-2019 even smaller small top case issue)

It's an odd shaped fit for anything else in the top case and the panniers are almost useless for practical storage given the way they are cutout inside.

It's a pity the Corbin expanded capacity pannier doors are soooo expensive. (US$1148.00)

I guess I now know why so many Wing's haul trailers even when riding 1up.

The Horse stance from martial arts is when your heels hips and shoulders are in the same line. That seems to be an ideal riding position too. Doesn’t really matter if you’re more upright or more folded as long as you can keep close to that alignment it seems pretty comfortable. The slight foot forward position of the ‘Wing is one of the things that make me hesitant to buy one. I think that’s going to put more stress on my back. I need to find a place that either rents Wings or a dealer who is going to be cool with a 500+ mile test ride to be sure.
That’s what utopia’s riders’ backrest is for. Much more comfortable than the Honda one.

I agree about the less luggage space vs the ST1300 being a big deal.

The ST had 3 removable cases and has more usable space. The (Tour) Wing's 3 cases are fixed.

True the new Wing can easily accommodate 2 full faced helmets, but it was designed for that marketing purpose. (And to fix the 2018-2019 even smaller small top case issue)

It's an odd shaped fit for anything else in the top case and the panniers are almost useless for practical storage given the way they are cutout inside.

It's a pity the Corbin expanded capacity pannier doors are soooo expensive. (US$1148.00)

I guess I now know why so many Wing's haul trailers even when riding 1up.
I meant 5th Gen Wing to 6th Gen.

Admittedly, I don't have many miles on my bike yet, but I find the seating position to be about the best I've ever experienced on a motorcycle. I've done an almost four hour stint on the bike and didn't notice any aches or pains really. That might change with an eight or nine hour stint. I will find out later this summer going to MNSTOC. I plan on keeping the bike mostly stock (ergonomics) until I figure if it needs any adjustments. I might get lucky. My 2012 RT was the least farkled bike I've owned thus far. All I put on that bike were Illium highway pegs.

After the vacation with the wife, I will order a skid plate, top case mount and GPS mount for the Wing and list the Versys for sale. Let me know if you need a well farkled, low mileage Versys that is ready to go across the country today.......I'll give you a good deal :D
Mike

Admittedly, I don't have many miles on my bike yet, but I find the seating position to be about the best I've ever experienced on a motorcycle. I've done an almost four hour stint on the bike and didn't notice any aches or pains really. That might change with an eight or nine hour stint. I will find out later this summer going to MNSTOC. I plan on keeping the bike mostly stock (ergonomics) until I figure if it needs any adjustments. I might get lucky. My 2012 RT was the least farkled bike I've owned thus far. All I put on that bike were Illium highway pegs.

After the vacation with the wife, I will order a skid plate, top case mount and GPS mount for the Wing and list the Versys for sale. Let me know if you need a well farkled, low mileage Versys that is ready to go across the country today.......I'll give you a good deal :D
Mike
My previous goldwings were the only bikes that didn't need an aftermarket seat.. they were 1,000 mile seats off the showroom floor. I think if you can handle 4 hrs on the seat then it should be good for the long haul.

Congratulations Mr. Bug, Hope you can find a helmet with a dark shield to hide the ice cream stains on your chin.. Tell Karen Goober says hey!

Congratulations Mr. Bug, Hope you can find a helmet with a dark shield to hide the ice cream stains on your chin.. Tell Karen Goober says hey!
She says "my heart is still racing".

For those that weren't at LOCSTOC, Dan kicked the front tire of my wife's new car as we were backing out of a parking spot at the lunch spot. It sounded like we hit something. It scared the crap out of us both.....for different reasons. I thought I was in trouble and then I thought Dan was in trouble :biggrin: Luckily, Karen is good natured.
Mike

Bike is "20 mph down on top end" because it was governed for the rest of the world and Honda kept it for the US. That has been remedied. A few horsepower doesn't concern me and I can pack more than most on the Wing. Ask my wife, I'm a packing wizard.

Now for a different "focus groups" perspective. How many people added cruise control, a gps, comms, etc, etc on the ST - a bike that was meant to travel and eat up the miles. Talk about head scratchers! Why weren't those items OEM?

How many new bikes of that era had cruise control? I don't know, my last bike bought new was 2005.
The GPS / Nav, and the comms as well, are something I prefer to select on my own. I have specific features in both, that I'd rather choose than be built-in.
Still weighing the McCruise for the 1300; the GSA has me spoiled rotten since I spend so much time on the super-slab.

I have toyed with some ideas to adding the cruise control cable to the bike's throttle cable.

One is to remove the throttle return cable from the hand grip, and run the CC cable there.

The other is to use an old-fashioned throttle-cable splitter to wye the two into the pulley.

A question for you GoldWing owners. Does the front end let you feel the front tire interact with the road? I'm big on front end feel and I worry with that double neck front end I wouldn't have much front tire feel.

Last edited:
A question for you GoldWing owners. Does the front end let you feel the front tire interact with the road? I'm big on front end feel and I worry with that double neck front end I wouldn't have much front tire feel.

The only thing you don't feel is the smaller to normal bumps. When looking down at the bars you can see the suspension parts moving up and down like a kid furiously tapping a game controller, but the tie rods coming back to the bars negate any of that from translating to the bars nicely. So, if you want to feel the full impact of those bridge expansion joints and whatnot, then yes, there's not as much feel. ;)

Back
Top Bottom