"all bikes lead to a Goldwing"

For those who have recently ended up on one of the newer Wings keep an eye on your front brake disc pads. They go very quickly compared to what you are used to. Replaced mine at 18K miles the first time. With some rotation of the pads likely get more but who does that except at tire changes.
Oh, and let us know how that first air filter change goes. You will appreciate the ST air filter changes.

They are great bikes so enjoy!

I have always said I'd NEVER get a Goldwing ... that's admitting you're old. BUT, when they did the redesign in '18, I jumped on board immediately. This ain't your dad's Goldwing. My '18, non tour, DCT 'Wing is the best bike I've ever had. As I have seen so many people say in different forums, it really is an ST1800. Fun on the twisties, yet a comfortable dream on the open highway.
The quote above pretty much sums up my thoughts. The best bike I've owned and very much a ST1800 if you chose to ride it like that.

I had Racetech rework the suspension on my prior ST1300, which made a noticeable improvement to the handing. My wife liked the ST1300 as well, but sometimes found the suspension a bit too firm for her taste. I wanted a more current bike, hence my 2018 6-sp Tour. I recently rode it down to Traxxion in GA for their full suspension upgrade. Spent 6 days riding back roads solo through GA, NC, VA, WV and PA back to NH. Big improvement in the sporty handling department.

The big test came this past 2 weeks riding 2-up through New Brunswick Canada, around the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec, up along the Saguenay Fjord and back down though Quebec City and VT. We spent a day chasing a New Brunswick friend on his Triumph Trophy 1200 and lots of time on rough NB and Quebec 2-lane roads. The bike was sporty and comfortable, the first time my wife has not complained about my bike and the bumps. It really is a great touring bike. It's definitely a keeper.

Congratulations on the new ride.

I used to own a GL1800 that we bought new in 2000 (November) and it was the first one in the Bay Area in California. Sold it in 2010 with 250,000 miles. It had served us well over the years and we also did the Iron Butt Rally in 2007 on that bike. Those bikes are mile eaters like no other..... we didn't even consider going on a ride if it wasn't >500 miles (per day).

Reiner

Kermit looks good to me.
KERMIT???? I know Honda misrepresents the color as "matte armored green metallic"; I LOVE the Marine Green; congrats!

Tom

53812972220_239c68fc94_n.jpg

Yeah. There's a familiar story. I didn't expect one either.

Mrs G found Sherbert with 4,000 Km in Germany before I had a clue what she was up to (so it's her fault). We went to pick it up and rode back to Ireland thru Bilbao in May. I'd not ridden anything for 5 years. It was no surprise to drop it after the first 400 Km on Day 1–in reverse–in full public in Chamonix, France! The photo is Mrs G bad-mouthing me on social media 20 seconds after she stopped telling me off for "breaking her knee" and about 3 minutes after I checked the poor thing was OK (the bike). Self-righting the tipped-over bike is easy BTW: the marriage less so.

The DCT caused two near-miss incidents. One was on Day 1 pulling into a sloped parking space outside a cafe. We nearly crashed through a low wall onto a table full of suddenly overly dramatic patrons. I don't speak Austrian and had an idea I'm an idiot. The other was plain silly at a rotary on Day 2. Twist = go-ooo--ooooo!

It's an awesome bike and other than the engine and length, it's just an updated ST isn't it? I've ridden over 4,000 Km since. Meanwhile, Arod ST is sparked up and has risen from the dead and is awaiting a change of fluids. I'm a lucky guy.

Ride safe!!

chamonix6.jpg

Yes, and I've not needed to...so far...
Well, it's not the same position by a long chalk. The peg position on my 2006 Goldwing is too far forward to comfortably stand on them. I prefer the pegs-under-the-thighs position of the ST or my RT but it is possible to stand on the Goldwing pillion foot rests and lean into the wind.

Well, it's not the same position by a long chalk. The peg position on my 2006 Goldwing is too far forward to comfortably stand on them. I prefer the pegs-under-the-thighs position of the ST or my RT but it is possible to stand on the Goldwing pillion foot rests and lean into the wind.
:think1:I don't know the earlier GoldWing so I have put together some irrefutable science that proves nothing.

The almost-to-scale images and hand-crafted lines illustrate the angle between peg and where I think my tailbone would be. I also marked up and terribly accurately the horizontal distance between peg and handlebar (without risers). I don't expect a Nobel Prize–feel free to nominate me–and I have little idea what it means. In my little imagination, it helps explain why standing is easiest on the ST, doable on the 2018+, and likely more difficult on the earlier model.

peg to handlebar and seat.jpg
:wink-2x:

My '77 GL1000 had ergos similar to my ST1300.

06wi0463IaRtJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png

So I put floorboards on it and it was similar to the above 'Wings. It's the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden and far and away the most aesthetically pleasing bike I've ever owned. The least comfortable bike but still a knockout was my 750 Duc Sport. It had Tomaselli clipons so I in ubër sportbike crouch without much room for adjustment. But I was younger than and it was a lot of fun to ride.

When i test rode the new generation Goldwing it seemed very capable of doing the miles on the slab. Could of used that big 6 cylinder engine when I did my Springfield to Nashville (Johns RTE) to Atlanta Ga trip. Still my old ancient V-4 engine was adequate. But I remember my 50 mile test ride stretching out and letting that big 6 purr down the highway.

When i test rode the new generation Goldwing it seemed very capable of doing the miles on the slab. Could of used that big 6 cylinder engine when I did my Springfield to Nashville (Johns RTE) to Atlanta Ga trip. Still my old ancient V-4 engine was adequate. But I remember my 50 mile test ride stretching out and letting that big 6 purr down the highway.

I've no doubt of the GoldWing's prowess with that 6-cylinder, even though I've never ridden one.

But for the record, an appropriately-sized boxer twin, say 1254 cc, can be a pretty gentle ride as well.

Back
Top Bottom