"all bikes lead to a Goldwing"

I guess the only other question I would have is do I want the DCT or the non DCT bike- I have a friend who rented a DCT version and he said he preferred the non DCT version. I have the Silverwing (CVT) and I like riding it, but sometimes, shifting a regular motorcycle is a nice change.

I guess the only other question I would have is do I want the DCT or the non DCT bike- I have a friend who rented a DCT version and he said he preferred the non DCT version. I have the Silverwing (CVT) and I like riding it, but sometimes, shifting a regular motorcycle is a nice change.

The DCT grows on you quickly. This is the 1st I've ever had or ridden. You can still manually shift if you like with the thumb/finger paddles, or do what I did and buy the toe shifter that looks like a conventional shifter and works like the buttons (plus allows you to put it in neutral with your foot vs the neutral button on the throttle control side.)

I find the DCT wonderful in stop and go traffic vs holding in a clutch.

The one slight negative is when you park it. You should apply the parking brake to prevent it possibly rolling if on an incline, as when its turned off the bike goes into neutral vs gear.

They do make aftermarket reminder lights / interlocks so you don't drive off with your parking brake on. I'm told it can happen.

Scott has had TWO of the Metal Flake Copper Brown non-Tour 2018 models. But that's only 'cuz a deer tried to take the first one from him. I really like that color as well. Many refer to it as the Root Beer color. I admit that I was also significantly considering one just because of that color, but then recalled that I was looking to shed weight from what I already had at the time (CTX1300 same weight as the ST1300/ST1100).

Side note: In late 2021 I saw that even Kymco brought out a Matte Copper Brown ("Root Beer") color AK 550... but not in the USA. It also looked really really good. Then I saw the Matte Deep Blue that I now have.

The one slight negative is when you park it. You should apply the parking brake to prevent it possibly rolling if on an incline, as when its turned off the bike goes into neutral vs gear.
This is obviously more of an issue when the motorcycle is parked with the nose facing down-hill. I humbly submit that a motorcycle, regardless of the type of transmission that it has, should never be parked with the nose pointing down-hill to begin with unless there is absolutely no choice. Leaving a manual transmission motorcycle in gear does not guarantee that it will not roll forward either.

The DCT is a throttle beast in sport mode, so I'd not advise it 2 up. If you find the throttle too jumpy in tour mode, try it in rain mode. It may be easier on both you and your pillion.
Thanks for the reminder. I actually had use of a 2018 DCT Tour for about 900 miles on an extended demo back in 2018 and we rented one for a couple of days in NC a year later trying to make up our minds but at the time we decided to hang on to our '06.

I really could have gone either way. One of the short list Wings was a manual and the other was DCT. I'm blessed to have other bikes one of which is a manual so riding a DCT or manual are not exclusive. I do enjoy riding both types but manual is manual all the time while DCT gives me options a manual bike cannot. I think that sometimes we focus on what we give up when you go 100% clutchless but can't fully realize what can DCT bring to riding until some experience with it. Life is not a zero sum game and in many decisions we give up something in order to get something then learn the exchange was worth it. We all know that. I've ridden about 60,000 miles on DCT 700Xs and for me it took many thousands of miles to learn how to fully exploit the transmission and that DCT bike is low horsepower early generation with few firmware options. Sure, there are times I miss having a clutch but it doesn't outweigh what I enjoy what DCT brings to riding. I will say that when I don't ride a manual for three weeks or so I notice that I do lose a bit of polish or finesse. I'll never forget how to use a manual gearbox but when I really a nail a perfect rev-matched downshift then power out of the curve, or don't get it perfect you know the difference that no one else would notice. I have had CVT scooters and DCT is nothing like CVT in power delivery and engine braking.

I'll never forget how to use a manual gearbox but when I really a nail a perfect rev-matched downshift then power out of the curve, or don't get it perfect you know the difference that no one else would notice.
That's a very appropriate way to say it, Dave, and that is an option not afforded me with all the clutchless technologies.

To me, THAT is one of the primary reasons I ride bikes in the first place. Let me choose, or I won't be buying any new bikes, EVER.

Even the Shift Assist Pro on my GSA is unobtrusive, and always allows me to hand and foot, clutch and shift when I feel like it.

Which for me, is ALWAYS.

Yeah, I've shifted with the electronic "here, let me handle the throttle and clutch for you, and you just toe the shift lever", and I don't care for it. I can use it, but I'd rather not. So I don't.

Life is good when you have choices.

Installed Traxxion Dynamics belly pan and side stand foot. It wasn't too bad taking off the lower tupperware for the first time. Much nicer when the bike is still clean and new. That was the easiest instillation of a skid plate I've put on a bike. Also installed the Shad rack for my top box. That was easy too. So far, this bike has been a breeze to farkle. I might change my mind when I get to remove the upper tupperware. I don't know how I did anything before YouTube......probably broke more stuff :biggrin:

It sure didn't take long to get hot. The humidity felt like a blanket this morning. C'mon autumn.
Mike

You might have to take a DCT if you are looking for a 2024 Non tour bagger as i'm thinking that no 6 speed tranny for that version.

Installed Traxxion Dynamics belly pan and side stand foot. It wasn't too bad taking off the lower tupperware for the first time. Much nicer when the bike is still clean and new. That was the easiest instillation of a skid plate I've put on a bike. Also installed the Shad rack for my top box. That was easy too. So far, this bike has been a breeze to farkle. I might change my mind when I get to remove the upper tupperware. I don't know how I did anything before YouTube......probably broke more stuff :biggrin:

It sure didn't take long to get hot. The humidity felt like a blanket this morning. C'mon autumn.
Mike
Get the Fred Harmon maintenance videos. Really helps with panel removal/install and hidden pins and tabs. Lots of tabs that need to line up on the newer Wings and his videos pretty much address everything except bikes with a clutch.

You might have to take a DCT if you are looking for a 2024 Non tour bagger as i'm thinking that no 6 speed tranny for that version.
Not true, both manual and DCT are available on the Honda website. If they are both truly available at dealers is unknown, although my local dealer had both in the non-Tour version.

Make sure your not looking at a 2023 model. My understanding is the non tour models are dct only for the model year 2024. Maybe doctor bug can confirm since he probably did his researched before he bought. About Honda website be careful they still had ST 1300's on it after years of non production.

Make sure your not looking at a 2023 model. My understanding is the non tour models are dct only for the model year 2024. Maybe doctor bug can confirm since he probably did his researched before he bought. About Honda website be careful they still had ST 1300's on it after years of non production.
I was told by the salesman that the Goldwing only comes in DCT. Not sure I'd trust him. Honda of Russellville used to be a pretty large dealership. I'd always heard they were consistently in the top three in the country. Now, it's almost sad to walk in the building. They had about five Goldwing Tours and my Goldwing on the floor. The Goldwing only comes in matte green so there is no point in having several on the floor. They could've had several in crates in back. Back in the day they always had custom painted Wings and several trikes and it was packed with bikes. Now, they sell more side by sides than motorcycles. Times have certainly changed.
Mike

Up here in Canukistan they have five 2024 models & color options for each:

Goldwing - green only
Goldwing DCT - green only
Goldwing Tour - grey or white
Goldwing Tour DCT - grey or white
Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag - grey only

What a dealer has, or can get, may vary. My dealer had a Goldwing, 2 Goldwing Tour's and one Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag. I bought the tour DCT airbag one they had.

Last edited:
There are, at the moment, five (5) Goldwing Tour, model year 2024, with standard transmission, listed on Cycletrader.

There are another 192 bikes that fit the filter "1800 Tour" condition.

The last time I checked there were over 1300 '18 and newer GoldWings on Cycle Trader. Prices are considerably lower than 6 weeks ago. Had a guy call me with a '22 non Tour DCT with 250 miles on it ask me if I wanted it for $18,500. I passed on it.

While all bikes may lead to a GoldWing I'm not quite there yet and as the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

It is the 2024! Both are on the website.
The DCT didn't seems to be available in 2023, but both are available in 2024.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom