"all bikes lead to a Goldwing"

The Wing definitely doesn't feel like the ST, but that's because it's a vastly different bike. You sit different on it, it's heavier, lower center of gravity, wider though the "tank area" etc.
It's not designed as a sport tourer but as a tourer. Does it feel as nimble and flickable? Nope. Can you lean it over as far as the ST with it's lower-to-the-ground pegs? Nope. Did I like it after my first 1+ ride bringing it home? Nope. Do I like it now? Yes.
I've still got STella and only driven her twice since getting the wing. While the Wing lacks many of the things I love about the ST1300, it also has a lot of things I felt the ST always lacked.
If I could have bought a new ST, I likely would have; but since I couldn't, the Wing is a nice compromise.

A question for you GoldWing owners. Does the front end let you feel the front tire interact with the road? I'm big on front end feel and I worry with that double neck front end I wouldn't have much front tire feel.
The lack of front wheel feedback with the new Wing has been noted in reviews just as it has been noted with other bikes that use Hossack style or other alternative suspensions like BMW's Telelever or Duolever. I think some riders might notice something then quickly get used to it. The front end is not completely numb but it’s not as communicative as the ST1300 for instance. The effort I needed to roll it into corners compared to the previous model was noticeable but few ride the bikes back to back. This article mentions ftont end feel and there are others dating to 2018.

I think most bikes possess enough good qualities that a niggle or two doesn’t make a deal breaker. Being curious about a Wing I believe you owe it to yourself to ride one and see for yourself.

Last edited:
That's an interesting article Dave, Thanks. Some of the comments were interesting too. Seems like a love it or hate it bike? I have ridden the new Wing for short distances and my initial impression was I love it in parking lots but out on the road it felt like the bike was taking me for a ride more than I was riding it. I think that after a couple of days I'd adjust to it. Not sure about the front end feel. I like it that I can feel where my tire is going when I go over a hot tar snake or hit a patch of sand on a 90 degree corner. Maybe because the Wing did slide out a bit when I rode it is what''s got me doubting. I think if I can find a place to rent 1 I'll do that for a few days and see how I feel afterwards.

I had an 08 Wing that I struggled with because of its size. My 18 is a lot easier for me to ride. When you take a big step up in size low speed riding skill becomes much more important. Apparently when I made the jump from the ST1100 to the 08 Wing my low speed skills were limited. I took the 08 to our local Kroger parking lot and did low speed practice for 30 minutes 2-3 days a week. Never got the hang of it. My low speed skills aren't where they need to be, but they are better than they were. IDK whether that is because of the bike or practice. On my 18 you can definitely feel the tar snake slide.

The Wing definitely doesn't feel like the ST, but that's because it's a vastly different bike. You sit different on it, it's heavier, lower center of gravity, wider though the "tank area" etc.
It's not designed as a sport tourer but as a tourer. Does it feel as nimble and flickable? Nope. Can you lean it over as far as the ST with its lower-to-the-ground pegs? Nope. Did I like it after my first 1+ ride bringing it home? Nope. Do I like it now? Yes.
Sounds right to me with my new wing.
The one thing I really liked about the Michelin Road 6’s on my ST13 was how good they were on tar snakes. Best ever I think. The Dunlop 423’s that came with the 24 wing are probably the worst I can remember. I hope they are good in the rain.
Gps is disappointing too.

Sounds right to me with my new wing.
The one thing I really liked about the Michelin Road 6’s on my ST13 was how good they were on tar snakes. Best ever I think. The Dunlop 423’s that came with the 24 wing are probably the worst I can remember. I hope they are good in the rain.
Gps is disappointing too.

There's the OEM gps which I agree is clunky, or you can setup Apple Carplay / Android Auto and use your phone's mapping system of choice, such as OsmAnd Mape, Waze, MyRadar or even the default phone map app. You could likely use one of the Garmin apps as well.

There's the OEM gps which I agree is clunky, or you can setup Apple Carplay / Android Auto and use your phone's mapping system of choice, such as OsmAnd Mape, Waze, MyRadar or even the default phone map app. You could likely use one of the Garmin apps as well.
That is something I with BMW did with their solution... I use the Zumo only as their system is like the 1st gps garmin came out with lol..

I'll also back that up with the phone.

If it displayed the names of the cross streets as you came up to them I would be happy enough. Was going to order another garmin but others have said to look at waze etc first.

Was going to order another garmin but others have said to look at waze etc first.

My problem with Waze, as good as it is, is because it SUCKS!
The battery, that is. When I use Waze for an extended period, I plug the phone into the USB charger, and even then it can barely maintain the same battery level. But it is good for what it is, and I like the "community" that can update current road and traffic conditions.
Also, I've quit putting the phone in a handlebar mount, so it has to go in the map window of a tankbag, forcing me to look down and away from the view ahead.
I could see using my Garmin XT until it disintegrates, it's that good for what I do with it. But Garmin will certainly pull support / map updates long before it disintegrates.

My problem with Waze, as good as it is, is because it SUCKS!
The battery, that is. When I use Waze for an extended period, I plug the phone into the USB charger, and even then it can barely maintain the same battery level. But it is good for what it is, and I like the "community" that can update current road and traffic conditions.
Also, I've quit putting the phone in a handlebar mount, so it has to go in the map window of a tankbag, forcing me to look down and away from the view ahead.
I could see using my Garmin XT until it disintegrates, it's that good for what I do with it. But Garmin will certainly pull support / map updates long before it disintegrates.
Was wondering about the phone battery even though I can plug it into the bike. I like the garmin and am used to one. And they are on sale up here now

One has to be careful reading about other people getting new bikes.

The '06 Goldwing is gone, replaced with this pre-owned 2018 Goldwing DCT (not Tour). Some call it the bagger model but the previous owner had the Honda 50 liter top box installed so it looks like a Tour DCT at first glance.

IMG_4419.jpeg

The '06 Goldwing is gone, replaced with this pre-owned 2018 Goldwing DCT (not Tour). Some call it the bagger model but the previous owner had the Honda 50 liter top box installed so it looks like a Tour DCT at first glance.

IMG_4419.jpeg
Congratulations!

Congratulations Dave. I can’t wait to get home and put some miles on mine. You can blame Scott also if you want
Mike

@dduelin congrats!

Didn't Steve Earle say to stay away from Copperhead Road? :)

Looks like a burnt orange metallic.
When I showed pics of the bike to my wife a few days ago she did not like the color which she called root beer. We had 2 specific white or blue Tours on the short list at a dealer 100 miles away. We went "just to look" but we went in the cage so I wouldn't fall prey to the lust of the eyes and make a decision on the spot. (Good luck with that!) If we liked a bike and the general numbers we would return the next day. We went Friday, we looked, but the feel of the dealership and potential deal did not feel right so we left for home. This Pearl Stallion Brown bike was at a dealership in Saint Augustine where we planned to eat lunch on the way home. I detoured us in order to pass by the dealer where this bike was. We looked at the bike inside the building and asked them to roll it out into the sunshine. The metal flake copper brown looks completely different in the sunlight and her opinion of the color was different as well. It's brilliant. We agreed to bring our trade back in the next day and via email and text the deal was struck before the sun had set. Skunkape and his wife had planned to meet us in St. Augustine for late afternoon dinner so they met us at the dealership the next day as we finished up the paperwork and we rode out with them. I have to give thanks to Chuck (Skunkape) for putting up with my calls the past week asking 2018 Goldwing questions.

The DCT is a throttle beast in sport mode, so I'd not advise it 2 up. If you find the throttle too jumpy in tour mode, try it in rain mode. It may be easier on both you and your pillion.

Skunkape and his wife had planned to meet us in St. Augustine for late afternoon dinner so they met us at the dealership the next day as we finished up the paperwork and we rode out with them. I have to give thanks to Chuck (Skunkape) for putting up with my calls the past week asking 2018 Goldwing questions.

Always enjoy talking with you. And riding and eating with you and Brenda. Pretty bike too.

IMG_4419.jpeg
THAT is a thing of beauty- I love that color- I wonder why it was only available (I think) for 2018 since it’s such a nice, desirable color- I’ve seen one in blue as well and those are very nice as well.

Back
Top Bottom