Where did you ride today?

I'm lazy. Getting more so as I get older. But when I finally work up the strength to get my tush out of my computer chair and plant it on the bike saddle I do really enjoy the ride.

Been craving some sweet pastries lately also so I checked the tire psi and took off to Pella, IA to my favorite Dutch pastry shop... Jaarsma Bakery... for a coffee cake and a half dozen Dutch Letters. It was looking very foggy in the direction I was headed at first but then that all cleared out and it was mostly sunny the rest of the way there and back. Temps were from 74F to 79F during the ride. Rode 122 miles today.
PXL_20240828_150935510.jpgPXL_20240828_150953281.jpgPXL_20240828_151431553.jpg

Need another ride like this and then after WISTOC I'll be ready to do the oil and filter change before ArkanSTOC.

I forgot this forum existed so, my post is about a day trip from last week.

Day Trip Sumter National Forest August 21, 2024.

Traveling North on Tyger River Rd and Maybinton Park Rd in Sumter National Forest. Somewhere off Maybington Rd is where Howard Brewington (from Newberry, SC) discovered a Comet. Howard was a Comet Hunter. His was the first discovery from SC. (Comet C/1989 W1 Aarseth/Brewington) November 16, 1989. The discovery was shared with Knut Aarseth, Norway.

The video was made by combining videos from the dash cam housed under the bikes nose. You have to manually adjust the video quality to 1080P. It starts out at 720P.

Not on "Pleasant Valley Sunday", not on "Manic Monday", not on "Ruby Tuesday".....heat made me "Hot Blooded" (I had a fever of 103), not on "Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.", but I did ride 101 miles this afternoon..... :biggrin: Russ.
Do you still ride that Z900RS? I really like those. Never seen one in person. Can you post pix?

Got in a nice ride this morning. Only 154 miles, but lots of twists and turns and elevation changes. Had to keep on my toes.

Rode from Kerrville through Medina, Tarpley, Utopia, Concan, Leakey, Vanderpool and back through Medina to Kerrville. Not much traffic on the road. Got into a little rain but nothing terrible.

Almost hit two buzzards who decided to play chicken for some reason. Missed 'em by inches and had to duck.

IMG_1005.JPG.pngIMG_0999.JPG.pngIMG_1008.JPG.png

Got in a nice ride this morning. Only 154 miles, but lots of twists and turns and elevation changes. Had to keep on my toes.

Rode from Kerrville through Medina, Tarpley, Utopia, Concan, Leakey, Vanderpool and back through Medina to Kerrville. Not much traffic on the road. Got into a little rain but nothing terrible.

Almost hit two buzzards who decided to play chicken for some reason. Missed 'em by inches and had to duck.

IMG_1005.JPG.pngIMG_0999.JPG.pngIMG_1008.JPG.png
Great burgers at the bent rim!

Great burgers at the bent rim!
Yeh, I planned on getting the Ultra Classic burger and fries, but ended up there around 10:20 - too early. There wasn't another soul there. I thought about going to Camp Wood and doubling back to kill time, but it was raining quite a bit so I just headed back to Vanderpool. I need to schedule some time to do the three sisters. I haven't done that for quite awhile and 335 is one of my favorite roads.

Yeh, I planned on getting the Ultra Classic burger and fries, but ended up there around 10:20 - too early. There wasn't another soul there. I thought about going to Camp Wood and doubling back to kill time, but it was raining quite a bit so I just headed back to Vanderpool. I need to schedule some time to do the three sisters. I haven't done that for quite awhile and 335 is one of my favorite roads.
Is the motorcycle museum still open? What is the story on it now?

Is the motorcycle museum still open? What is the story on it now?
Gordon at the Texas Vintage Motorcycle Museum in Johnson City said that Lonestar Motorcycle Museum was for sale. He wasn't sure if he was going to buy anything from that collection or not since he didn't have any more space.

I've never been to the Lonestar, although I've been by it a number of times. I could never find it open. It's a shame, but I think the inability to staff it or afford to staff it was the issue. Then the husband died.

Edit: I just got on their website. They're open March-November, Fri-Sun, 10am-4PM. But...they could still be for sale.

Yesterday (Thursday): to the Ludington Michigan Dairy Queen via brekkie in Twin Lake, up through Pentwater along Lake Michigan coastline.
It was super duper.
Ludington! I haven't been there since I was a kid. Isn't there a ferry to Wisconsin there? I have a vacation cottage on Bear Lake in Bear Lake, MI.

I've never ridden a motorcycle up there, but sure would like to.

Last edited:
Ludington! I haven't been there since I was a kid. Isn't there a ferry to Wisconsin there? I have a vacation cottage on Bear Lake in Bear Lake, MI.

I've never ridden a motorcycle up there, but sure would like to.
Yeah the slow ferry, the SS Badger goes across to Manitowac, Wisconsin. I live closer to the Express Ferry in Muskegon. It goes to Milwaukee twice a day in about 2.5 hours. There is also (another) Bear Lake in North Muskegon. Your Bear Lake Cabin must be near Manistee. The riding here is incredible for about 5 months of the year. Every vacation cottage should have a motorcycle !!

Attachments

• SSBadger.png
    SSBadger.png
    822.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom