Where did you ride today?

Took a ride today to Hell's Canyon which takes you into Oregon from Idaho and it changes in the middle of the Snake River. Nice day ride almost 400 miles with temps up to 93.

Mike,

Great riding area.

We were there for WeSTOC 23 in 2018!

Thanks for the pictures!

That looks like a super fun ride day Mike. I need more info! Did you ride like from Oxbow, Heath or Cambridge? Is the bike with the fence picture on the Dam just south of the Hells Creek Canyon visitor at Hells Canyon Creek end?

I'm jealous of course.

That looks like a super fun ride day Mike. I need more info! Did you ride like from Oxbow, Heath or Cambridge? Is the bike with the fence picture on the Dam just south of the Hells Creek Canyon visitor at Hells Canyon Creek end?

I'm jealous of course.
I left Nampa Idaho from Uncle Larry's place after breakfast.

The picture on the dam is closest to the visitors center.

And you know that you could be up here riding around with me!!

I have been doing some low speed, low traffic rides to get used the the size and weight of the bike. I rode to the north side of town to fill up with ethanol free fuel and then took a slow meandering ride back. I have a lot of experience with the ST1300 but I have not ridden one in maybe 10 years. This one, that I now own, is as amazing as I remember, low, well balanced, quick and nimble. I am enjoying the heck out of this bike. My dream bike, since I worked for BMW was an R100RS but the ST1300 is superior to that in every way. It's even better than my VFR800 and that's saying something. Longer rides are in the future.

I have been doing some low speed, low traffic rides to get used the the size and weight of the bike. I rode to the north side of town to fill up with ethanol free fuel and then took a slow meandering ride back. I have a lot of experience with the ST1300 but I have not ridden one in maybe 10 years. This one, that I now own, is as amazing as I remember, low, well balanced, quick and nimble. I am enjoying the heck out of this bike. My dream bike, since I worked for BMW was an R100RS but the ST1300 is superior to that in every way. It's even better than my VFR800 and that's saying something. Longer rides are in the future.
You obviously haven’t ridden the ST1100 :biggrin:
Enjoyed your thread on bringing this bike back to life. Glad you are now starting to enjoy it.

Interesting, your first.
Since 1973, I've only worn full face helmets. Mainly for less noise, but also warmer when it's cold, and drier when it rains.
I have worn a half helmet teaching the Basic RiderCourse, only because it saved time not putting it on and taking it off all the time, plus the students could hear me speaking better without the chinbar.
And even as coaches, we weren't riding faster than 25mph.
Only have that halfsie because I won it as a door prize at some event, I would not have bought one.
No judgement, just my preference.

Interesting, your first.
Since 1973, I've only worn full face helmets. Mainly for less noise, but also warmer when it's cold, and drier when it rains.
I have worn a half helmet teaching the Basic RiderCourse, only because it saved time not putting it on and taking it off all the time, plus the students could hear me speaking better without the chinbar.
And even as coaches, we weren't riding faster than 25mph.
Only have that halfsie because I won it as a door prize at some event, I would not have bought one.
No judgement, just my preference.
I've only ridden dirt bikes and 4-wheelers up until the ST, my first Street bike. Still acquiring all the proper gear. My Dad always insisted that I wear a helmet when riding while I was growing up. Have always been glad he did.

The 1300 has been resting in the Mancave as I have been working on my newly acquired 2009 VFR. I had some difficulty with the starter valves (they function and look just like the 13s) and it took me a while to figure that the fixed reference valve was actually seized in the cold/open position, which made for some dodgy balancing. I got that sorted but inadvertantly adjusted the non-adjustable...all I can say is DON'T do this kids. Unless you get the reference SV to the right place you get either a too slow cold idle, or a racing cold idle, and it took me three tries to get that right.

I celebrated what felt like the first day of spring today with a 400km ride around the Coromandel Loop. It was still a bit damp underfoot until midday but the roads dried nicely and the traffic was light. The VFR is no ST (and I am also no spring chicken) but I did the ride non-stop in about 5 hours without suffering too much. I need to do some suspension work on this one to take out the worst of the jolts, just the usual with stock HMAS dampers in the forks.
IMG_6603.JPG
At Whitianga, looking across Mercury Bay
IMG_6604.JPG
At Kuaotunu, looking towards Great Mercury Island
IMG_6605.JPG
Looking towards Whangapoua

Back
Top Bottom