Where did you ride today?

Dr. that has to be my favorite bridge in all of ArKansaw or at least the roads leading up to and leaving that bridge. It sure is a skinny bridge like 2 GW's wide!

I rode to Mississississippi today. I stopped and fueled up where regular unleaded was $2.69 a gallon. It was a dime less if you walked inside and paid with green money but I had none. Anyone beat that price? (Gulfport MS.)

It's been tough for me lately just sitting around the house in July and not going for rides. We are in the July weather pattern of coastal rain DAILY and it's been happening a lot. I made it right at 315 miles today and only had a sprinkle once. The bad news was riding across Alabama took me way too long. There were several wrecks on I-10 around Mobile and Mobile Bay that had traffic backed up 3 lanes full for 5 miles once. I detoured off to downtown Mobile and took the old Bankhead 2 lane Tunnel. Problem there was 4,000 other people took the same detour and traffic was bad there too.

Speaking of the tunnel. If you've never heard about the Bankhead tunnel it crosses under the Mobile river so large ships can dock right at the Mobile docks. There was a sign just before the tunnel entrance today that read: 12' clearance ahead, Undefeated since 1941 (concerning the 12 foot clearance thru the tunnel). As usual during summer the temp was 92 outside the tunnel but 100.4 inside the tunnel. Heat falls you know....

Regardless it felt good just riding today.

Last edited:
Dr. that has to be my favorite bridge in all of ArKansaw or at least the roads leading up to and leaving that bridge. It sure is a skinny bridge like 2 GW's wide!

I rode to Mississississippi today. I stopped and fueled up where regular unleaded was $2.69 a gallon. It was a dime less if you walked inside and paid with green money but I had none. Anyone beat that price? (Gulfport MS.)

It's been tough for me lately just sitting around the house in July and not going for rides. We are in the July weather pattern of coastal rain DAILY and it's been happening a lot. I made it right at 315 miles today and only had a sprinkle once. The bad news was riding across Alabama took me way too long. There were several wrecks on I-10 around Mobile and Mobile Bay that had traffic backed up 3 lanes full for 5 miles once. I detoured off to downtown Mobile and took the old Bankhead 2 lane Tunnel. Problem there was 4,000 other people took the same detour and traffic was bad there too.

Speaking of the tunnel. If you've never heard about the Bankhead tunnel it crosses under the Mobile river so large ships can dock right at the Mobile docks. There was a sign just before the tunnel entrance today that read: 12' clearance ahead, Undefeated since 1941 (concerning the 12 foot clearance thru the tunnel). As usual during summer the temp was 92 outside the tunnel but 100.4 inside the tunnel. Heat falls you know....

Regardless it felt good just riding today.
I agree about the bridge. I paid $3.09 this morning for 87 octane. I went through the Bankhead tunnel when I met you and your better half at Ed's on the causeway. I didn't mind the tunnel; it was the 800 stop lights on the way to the tunnel that drove me nuts.
Mike

I rode over around Iron City Ga. area today. When I’m in that area I have to take a look at this grand old Live Oak tree. The Spooner Oak.

With a girth of 34 feet and an overhead canopy stretching out over 140 feet it’s the largest oak tree in Georgia. It’s 300 plus years old.

IMG_4697.jpeg

IMG_4698.jpeg

I rode over around Iron City Ga. area today. When I’m in that area I have to take a look at this grand old Live Oak tree. The Spooner Oak.

With a girth of 34 feet and an overhead canopy stretching out over 140 feet it’s the largest oak tree in Georgia. It’s 300 plus years old.

IMG_4697.jpeg

IMG_4698.jpeg
Is it random or tracking history? No worries... This picture in the link popped up top of my homepage today as a random pic.

after knocking down 851 miles on the Mighty ST 1300 over the weekend yesterday was not supposed to be a ride day but the IceBear was calling my name and i couldn't resist. another 53km added on the clock

Attachments

• 20240729_200147.jpg
    20240729_200147.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240729_202340.jpg
    20240729_202340.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240729_202755.jpg
    20240729_202755.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240729_205313.jpg
    20240729_205313.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240729_205515.jpg
    20240729_205515.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240729_205901.jpg
    20240729_205901.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240729_210804.jpg
    20240729_210804.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240729_215921.jpg
    20240729_215921.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 5
I can't believe that yesterday was my first trip to Mt. Baker's Artist Point this year. In past years, I've gone when it first opened up and the snow was still deep in places, then later in the summer like yesterday, and then when the fall colors come out. It's that gorgeous. Plus, the road is phenomenal. You start out with fast sweeping curves on the Mt. Baker Highway that gradually get more and more technical...till you're faced with 180 degree 10-15 mph corners that wind their way upwards to your destination.

I decided on the way up to stop at the Deming Homestead and Eagle Park. The descriptions said it was a place where bald eagles congregate. I think it is like when you see "Deer Crossing" signs...deer are nowhere to be found. Still a pleasant place all to myself to eat lunch.

LZqf5rvl.jpg

sP73gsrl.jpg

An hour or so later, I got up to Artist Point. It never changes, though it never ceases to leave me in awe over God's creation.

I parked here with Mt. Shuksan in the background.

nzgIX77l.jpg

Mt. Baker in the other direction.

syvfmtTl.jpg

And Canada looking north.

s5jcn41l.jpg

This is Upper Bagley Lake in what is called a cirque carved out by glaciers.

87yA6Z1l.jpg

On the way back home.

1Ot7bFsl.jpg

Chris

Have been looking at Mount Baker from the North west for most of my life ,so one item on my bucket list was to go and see it from the other side. Stunning views and loved the roads to it. Thanks Daboo for sharing your pictures ,reminds me of my trip last August. Cheers!

Exactly one week ago, I rode through 3/4 of the Kettle Moraine route and made a video of the journey. It's a total of 2 hours long, featuring a calm and relaxing style with some tunes.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on it. Let me know what you think! Also, if you normally watch YouTube videos, I’d appreciate it if you could Like and Subscribe. Thanks.

It's a total of 2 hours long, featuring a calm and relaxing style with some tunes....I’d love to hear your thoughts on it. Let me know what you think!
It's a total of 3 minutes long, featuring 2 versions (B&W and updated color) and a catchy tune ...still about 2 minutes too long. ;)

Tom

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom