What did you do to / ride to with your Beemer today?

It sure looks like fun.
Where did you find it?
CL, BMW forum,...?
I found it on FB marketplace but it was a guy in town selling it so it was easy. I had been looking for one for a while so when this one popped up……I went and got it. Perfect urban bike or canyon carver……. Makes my GS and RT feel like a slugs, even though they have the same motor.

I haven’t had a naked bike in years and after riding this one, I’m reminded that even though this bike will get to triple digits in a heartbeat, at 60mph it is more fun than 80mph on a touring bike with a fairing. The wind in your face makes it feel like you are moving much faster. Reminds me of riding a standard as a kid.

Last edited:
I found it on FB marketplace but it was a guy in town selling it so it was easy. I had been looking for one for a while so when this one popped up……I went and got it. Perfect urban bike or canyon carver……. Makes my GS and RT feel like a slugs, even though they have the same motor.

I haven’t had a naked bike in years and after riding this one, I’m reminded that even though this bike will get to triple digits in a heartbeat, at 60mph it is more fun than 80mph on a touring bike with a fairing. The wind in your face makes it feel like you are moving much faster. Reminds me of riding a standard as a kid.
A naked bike is good this time of the year. The day I saw it at Grannies you had just gotten it?

I saw a post on another bmw forum...

Using GS911 you can look at the instrument cluster/coding/speed display options...

There's several Measured and Displayed numbers.

The displayed numbers are higher than the measured so should be able to match the two and adjust as necessary so the speedometer is accurate maybe by using a gps as a measurement bar.
I was able to test this and the RT and GSA are now both within 1mph on the speedometer vs the Zumo so that's cool.

I guess I need to do this as well. Did you adjust > ride > adjust > ride until it was ~correct?
I marked the measured and displayed values the same, rode some in each gear, it was displaying 2 to 4 mh less than gps so increased the display values up and rode again. There are 4 measured and 4 displayed values. I figured there would be 6, one for each gear but not so. Anyway, at least a way to get it close.

I marked the measured and displayed values the same, rode some in each gear, it was displaying 2 to 4 mh less than gps so increased the display values up and rode again. There are 4 measured and 4 displayed values. I figured there would be 6, one for each gear but not so. Anyway, at least a way to get it close.

Looks like my bike is just a tad too old (the GSA) No such option under the GS911 (have the latest GS911 update installed) instrument cluster section. Have not checked the the 2018 XR yet.

Looks like my bike is just a tad too old (the GSA) No such option under the GS911 (have the latest GS911 update installed) instrument cluster section. Have not checked the the 2018 XR yet.
under the coding section? Yeah, some do and some don't, I don't know the cutoff.

Dont know either. I don't look at the speedometer anyway......:thumb:
Yeah, I mount my gps up high so it's actually easier to look at that then drop my glance further for the dash but it's always irked me how all the bikes I've had have been off. The Tracer 900 was the one one that was only 2 mph off.

While you're in there exploring, would you please look to see if there's a way to get Instantaneous MPG on the display?

I had that on my F800GT, but don't on my F900XR. Today I was hurrying back for a BBQ at WeSTOC and took the freeway. 80 mph into a extremely strong headwind...and I was sucking gas hard. Times like that it'd be interesting to know just how bad it is.

Chris

Do you have a Beta tester block on yours? You may have to ask to be included as a beta tester for that button to appear.

Rode the GSA to local Bike Night at the BMW / Ducati / Triumph/ Yamaha / Indian/ Polaris / CanAm dealer. Unbelievable crowd, but I guess they haven't had a bike night since last year.

First pic is a frozen t-shirt contest, next is Honda Aspencade saddlebags on a Harley Road Glide. Top box is from dresser HD or other.

Don't know where he sourced the get-back whip.

Attachments

• 20240815_192705.jpg
    20240815_192705.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240815_193012.jpg
    20240815_193012.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 27
I saw a post on another RT site about spark plugs so decided to check mine before the 24k service.

At the 12k service the plugs, compared with new ones looked fine.

This morning, at 21,728 I decided to take another look before the garage goes into Texas summer August nuclear conditions....

The right side still looked good:
IMG_20240818_054947.jpg

The left side however did show some wear.

IMG_20240818_053401.jpg

BMW advises the plugs replaced every 12k which seems like a bit much to me, none of my previous bikes ever needed replacements at that interval and definitely never showed that kind of wear.

But, I guess BMW knows something so I'll be replacing at those intervals moving forward.

As for performance, the bike hasn't felt any different between now or when on day one or it was such a slow difference I may not notice 'til my next ride on the RT.

Just throwing that out there for other RT/GS owners.

I knew I should have noted what plugs I have in mine last week. Mine are the double end like an NGK LMAR style but I didn't see what the actual number we so i won't type any more info. They did look very good compared to that left one of yours. Both of mine looked the same compared to yours which have a noticeable difference.

It must have been replaced at 12,000 so I stuck it back in for now pending finding some new plugs.

Reviewing yours must be an LMARAI-10, mine is of the LMAR8D-J style. Got to check some more.

This is what I'm using in the GSA. (NGK LMAR8D-J) Have not seen any issues / tip wear. Replacing every 24K.

1723982104439.png
Thanks, I'll take a look at that option next assuming the 1250 has a similar option.

Truthfully, at nearly 18k,I haven't taken mine out yet for inspection. I need to...

Read a thread on ADV where a guy got his supposed thin- wall socket stuck in the head, and I still don't know if he got it out.

All kinds of tricks and tips were suggested and tried.

Need to get another thin- wall before I try it, it was a nightmare for that feller. He may have removed the head and taken to a machine shop, dunno.

Likewise, no change in power or delivery on mine yet.

What did you use to remove the coil sticks?

Back
Top Bottom