What did you do to / ride to with your Beemer today?

Truthfully, at nearly 18k,I haven't taken mine out yet for inspection. I need to...

Read a thread on ADV where a guy got his supposed thin- wall socket stuck in the head, and I still don't know if he got it out.

All kinds of tricks and tips were suggested and tried.

Need to get another thin- wall before I try it, it was a nightmare for that feller. He may have removed the head and taken to a machine shop, dunno.

Likewise, no change in power or delivery on mine yet.

What did you use to remove the coil sticks?

I used a regular deep socket right out of my 30 + year old tool box. Craftsman deep 14mm, 2.5" long, .772" o.d., .105 wall at the flat. with no problems in the 2019 R1250RT. I even checked it for depth on the plug flats and it was perfect.

Thanks, guys.
I have that very item in my Amazon Wish List, Joe, so I'll pull the plug and order it today.
I have 2 sizes of Craftsman spark plug sockets AND deep well 14mm's in 1/4 and 3/8 drive from that same era, guess I'll face my fears and give it a slow, careful, cautious go.

Thanks, guys.
I have that very item in my Amazon Wish List, Joe, so I'll pull the plug and order it today.
I have 2 sizes of Craftsman spark plug sockets AND deep well 14mm's in 1/4 and 3/8 drive from that same era, guess I'll face my fears and give it a slow, careful, cautious go.
My socket is a Craftsman 44431 still sold new at Lowes.

It looks like the official Craftsman site is a little off on the "specs". It says this 14mm socket is 1.8 in wide. Not.

Truthfully, at nearly 18k,I haven't taken mine out yet for inspection. I need to...

Read a thread on ADV where a guy got his supposed thin- wall socket stuck in the head, and I still don't know if he got it out.
He ended up buying a head off of ebay.

My socket is a Craftsman 44431 still sold new at Lowes.

It looks like the official Craftsman site is a little off on the "specs". It says this 14mm socket is 1.8 in wide. Not.
I’ll be doing the spark plug/valve inspection on Merry’s RT this week sometime. Her bike has been needy lately. Last week I completed new tires, brake pads, brake fluid flush, final drive fluid change, oil/filter and new air filter. Got to rest up after that is completed. Got to tell her to quit riding so much….

Jeff

I saw a post on another RT site about spark plugs so decided to check mine before the 24k service.

At the 12k service the plugs, compared with new ones looked fine.

This morning, at 21,728 I decided to take another look before the garage goes into Texas summer August nuclear conditions....

The right side still looked good:
IMG_20240818_054947.jpg

The left side however did show some wear.

IMG_20240818_053401.jpg

BMW advises the plugs replaced every 12k which seems like a bit much to me, none of my previous bikes ever needed replacements at that interval and definitely never showed that kind of wear.

But, I guess BMW knows something so I'll be replacing at those intervals moving forward.

As for performance, the bike hasn't felt any different between now or when on day one or it was such a slow difference I may not notice 'til my next ride on the RT.

Just throwing that out there for other RT/GS owners.
It's supposed to be hard on the OEM stick coils when plug electrodes get eroded and the clearances open up so I do change mine on the RT at the recommended 24,000. Relatively cheaper than coils on my model. Do the shift cams recommend a change at 12,000?

It's supposed to be hard on the OEM stick coils when plug electrodes get eroded and the clearances open up so I do change mine on the RT at the recommended 24,000. Relatively cheaper than coils on my model. Do the shift cams recommend a change at 12,000?
Yup 12k intervals.

I had the easy bike this week. Only brake fluid flush, brake pad inspection (only front was needed), final drive fluid change and oil/filter change…:biggrin:
Cool, tell her we'll break that oil down a bit soon. :cool: You can roll with us too if that big ol heavy bike can keep up. She'll take ya.

Monday after a short ride I noticed a fuel smell. Yes the famous fuel fitting crack. It's easy for me to see why it cracks so what were these engineers thinking.

Monday after a short ride I noticed a fuel smell. Yes the famous fuel fitting crack. It's easy for me to see why it cracks so what were these engineers thinking.
I replaced mine preemptively with the brass fittings from Beemer Boneyard. They seemed to be very high quality parts. No idea if these are the right set for you, but I got these: https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdisconr12st.html for my GS.

I replaced mine preemptively with the brass fittings from Beemer Boneyard. They seemed to be very high quality parts. No idea if these are the right set for you, but I got these: https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdisconr12st.html for my GS.
I have 1 coming , Boneyard does not show 1 for the rt. When I bought the bike the fuel pump recall was done so I didn't think I would have a leak . Surprise surprise.

I did this and that then and now. That being took my 2019 R1250RT to the BMW dealer here in Pensacola and had my free new "prop shaft" warranty replaced. It wasn't too bad but it was a typical dealer run around. I called first to set it all up and they told me I didn't have enough miles yet at 36,685 I think. They wanted "above 37,000". I thought it was 36,000, it's 60,000 Kilometers which is 37,282 miles. So I rode it one more day (what a chore :) ) and called them back the next day at 37,166 miles.

They told me no appointed needed bring it on Friday as they had the part it will get done QUICK they've done thousands (he literally told me thousands). They said drop it off Thursday evening so it will get in earlier Friday so I did. I got there and the service counter had no idea I was coming of course. Dang Stealers.

Shorter story they didn't finish it Friday as promised and I had to delay my trip to WISTOC via Kansas a day as it was done Saturday at 10:30. I asked to hold the old prop shaft in my own hands if I could and I did get to do that. It had no apparent wear at that mileage on my bike. And they left a gap in the rubber boot at the engine end pivot point of the swingarm. So far out the rubber points were visible. I fixed that myself since they must have been too inept to manage a complete fixerup job (note the thousands done remark).

I also did the 36,000 mile service. Oil change and such and a valve gap check. The valves were great with all 4 being at the top of the gap range as I like. Intakes (in inches) were at .006 and the exhausts at mostly .0155.

For the now, today I installed a Michelin Road 6 tire on front only. I like the way it feels so far with my big rear tire. Don't ask about the rear tire if it bothers you. It's wide and fat and made for a Mini Cooper but will probably last me 45,000+ miles. Let's not even argue about it here please.

It's just a Michelin Road 6 not a GT. Do you guy go with the plain 6 or the Road 6 GT?

Back
Top Bottom