Re-baking my ST1300 (Almost full redoing)

Hey there, good progress. One comment that I have on the slave clutch, the bore inside the cover and the outside surface of the piston are "working" surfaces and machined to a specific tolerance. You may already know that, but I would not go too crazy about polishing them, just a good scrape and perhaps ultrasonic to remove the crystalized fluid is all. Also, the push rod is teflon coated so what I did with mine I soaked it in Evaporust which chemically cleaned it well. No abrasives on that one...

Today was the time for the starter. The dust you see is a tiny bit of copper with carbon, so it can create shortcircuits that takes power from it and creates heat and when it gets stuck between the copper contacts of the rotor creates more shortcircuits and erratic behavior, mainly power losing.

A good cleaning and checking it all and good to go back to its place. Also I changed the o-ring for a new one.

Finished installing the things on the lower part, reinforced the sensor wire with some gasket sealing, as it was getting bad, after some good deep cleaning so it gets well adhesion over it.

I found that one of the four valves of the exhaust gas to suck the oil gases was broken, so exhaust gas was going inside the oil pan. I'm going to buy that thing.

Also the gaskets of the valve covers are a bit cracked, I'm buying that too whenever I can.

I'm adding some pictures of the engine clean. I have to clean the front fork and wheel yet.

The front fork is getting the seals and oil changed, and cleaned inside.

Attachments

• IMG_8367.JPG
    IMG_8367.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8375.JPG
    IMG_8375.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8379.JPG
    IMG_8379.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8383.JPG
    IMG_8383.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8390.JPG
    IMG_8390.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8407.JPG
    IMG_8407.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8411.JPG
    IMG_8411.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8416.JPG
    IMG_8416.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8420.JPG
    IMG_8420.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8427.JPG
    IMG_8427.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 31
Hey there, good progress. One comment that I have on the slave clutch, the bore inside the cover and the outside surface of the piston are "working" surfaces and machined to a specific tolerance. You may already know that, but I would not go too crazy about polishing them, just a good scrape and perhaps ultrasonic to remove the crystalized fluid is all. Also, the push rod is teflon coated so what I did with mine I soaked it in Evaporust which chemically cleaned it well. No abrasives on that one...

Thank you for the information.

I agree that you have to be cautious when using sand paper for cleaning things like a piston and cylinder. I go to the same point, usually less, than the three stones tool you use to refurbishing cylinders. They don't eat almost nothing, around 0,05 mm, with the sole purpose of storing fluids for lubrication of the walls. I'm thinking about that when I "clean" any wall of a piston or cylinder. Anyways the damage will be always less than whan I'm cleaning, as I never "erase" the stain I'm cleaning, just smooth it so the whole thing doesn't get stuck on it. When I see that the couple slides well, and there's no residue of the corroed part, I think it's good to go. What I really care about it's the union between the sea, the piston and the cylinder wall. There is where the magic happens and where the pressure is beared. As long as the piston and cylinder slides without getting stuck, can be said that they are OK, somehow.

About the push rod, I didn't notice the teflon, and used steel wool just on the tip because it had a bit of that kind of rust the brake fluid makes with the aluminium. But didn't go crazy anyways, so I wouldn't say it's bad. I would swear there was not sign of teflon at all on that rod. I smeared grease all around the zone inside (not inside the cylinder) so any brake fluid or humidity doesn't mess up the aluminium if it gets there, as it already did.

For cleaning rust, I use drain cleaner, an strong acid that usually dettatch the oxygen from the metal, leaving you with clean metal and metal dust. Do not works on aluminium, as it eats the aluminium and other things softer than steel. Is a risk anyone should think about before using such a measure, but when it works it's amazing.

Thanks again for the information.

The dust you see is a tiny bit of copper with carbon,

On the starter... I secure the rotor shaft opposite to the commutator (the coppery thing) in my electric drill and secure drill in a vice, get a long strip of 120/220 grit sandpaper and with the drill on low speed I wrap the sandpaper around the commutator for a good clean. If there are ridges from the brushes I use a semi-fine file to remove. At the end I use a needle or screwdriver blade to clean in between commutator contact strips, then blow with compressed air.

WOW! You've torn it down further than I've ever torn any of mine down!

It's looking good!

On the starter... I secure the rotor shaft opposite to the commutator (the coppery thing) in my electric drill and secure drill in a vice, get a long strip of 120/220 grit sandpaper and with the drill on low speed I wrap the sandpaper around the commutator for a good clean. If there are ridges from the brushes I use a semi-fine file to remove. At the end I use a needle or screwdriver blade to clean in between commutator contact strips, then blow with compressed air.

I use a small steel wire brush to clean those contact strips until fresh copper is seen. I try not to eat too much, just enough to see good copper again. I use a cutter blade to clean the dust between the contact strips, until clear and clean resin shows up again (or whatever thing they use to isolate the contacts is used). I literally have seen that dust emmiting light because shortcircuits, so I clean it the best I can. I use gasoline and a tootbrush to dissolve and get out the dust and it work extremely well. Then I grease all the needed points just enough not to get it into all the other parts and that's it.

Thank you for sharing ideas, I'll have those in mind.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get grease into the Cardan joint. I'm showing ideas tomorrow or maybe Monday (14/10/2024). I have a very nice one to share, I hope to do it with pictures tomorrow or that Monday.

Today was a great day.

The Cardan joint (Don't know the name in English, I can't find it in the workshop manual. Cardan was the dude that invented it.) was very bad. The old grease was out of it, inside was dry. It had not any play, so it was the time for rescue it. Without any play (almost), it can be used a lot more of kms. But not without grease. Without lubrication, I estimate around 20K kms more. With lubrication, more than 70K kms. So I wanted to put grease inside the damn thing whatever it takes.

It comes pressed and closed with bad intentions so it cannot be lubricated periodically. You must break it to open it or things like that. This part dies because lack of grease, and nothing else, and making it NOT lubricable makes me extremely angry. It can last three times than now if you can lubricate it. But I have an idea. Using a syringe with a small needle and very hot lithium grease I could put it inside it under the rubber seal.

The idea was a full fail. The grease did not melt, did not go inside and the small amount that got inside was really far from enough.

As I'm very hard headed, I thought a more agressive measure. I have a manual grease pump from Aliexpress that works pretty well. It has a 1 cm conic needle that injects a 1mm diameter thread of grease with very good pressure. If I could stick that thing at the right place I could flood the stuff with grease. So I got a good bit and put it in my 9 gears, also chinese, table drill.

The idea was a nice failure. The final caps of the needle bearings in the thing are absurdily hard. So I tried again, with an expensive, new, good, HARD bit of steel with cobalt. The damn thing did not even a sad scratch to the surface. The bit bended to one side, then to the other, nothing. Not even a jiggle from a tickle.

Going ahead harder, next idea. Cutting the punched marks that hold the thing in place so I can push the body outside of it with my sweet 12 ton cheapnese manual press. So... When trying to cut it I noticed that the dremel disk made a mark over the cap of the thing when trying to eat one of the punches. Nice! I tried making a cross over the center of one cap and then drilling it with my only and best 3mm cobalt bit. For some reason the bit was nothing to it but the cutting disk of the dremel was working pretty well.

SUCCESS! The drill suffered, but made it well and troughout the damn adamantium thing. Just at the very last hole, the bit break, on time for ending the task. So, after more work and ideas and flooding it with gasoline for a deep cleaning many times (a lot of dark souls came out of the damned, dry stuff), I get to successfuly flood the thing using that small hole on each of the four needle bearings to the point of getting all the dirt out and getting nice and clean grease out of the rubber seal in the opposite side. I took punching a bit hard the pump so it could get some pressure inside, because it was coming out from the new holes besides the rubber sealing. I used a good lithium grease.

A good cleaning againt but just the cap with gasoline (without getting the grease out this time) so the gasket seal could get good adhesion and the thing was ready. I plugged the fresh holes with gasket seal abundantly and took the extra grease outside it so it doesn't get throwed up inside when spinning.

So I cleaned the outer rubber dust cover, greased finely the thing to avoid corrosion, put Molykote Molibdenium grease to the respective splinted? parts and all ready to mount the rear thing (I forgot the name again) and the wheel and the final drive, blablabla.

Tomorrow.

Maybe.

Please correct my English if you see any errors. I want to learn more.

Attachments

• IMG_8430.JPG
    IMG_8430.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8433.JPG
    IMG_8433.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8434.JPG
    IMG_8434.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8437.JPG
    IMG_8437.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8438.JPG
    IMG_8438.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Thing was, again, nasty. I can't believe how it was. Sadly the pictures doesn't show in a fairly way how gunked it was. PO did drive over fresh asphalt and the swing arm (I remembered the part name!) had gunk and pebbles stuck here and there over the top part. First a good hot water with workshop floor degreaser and then my lovely magic potion (gasoline) did its miracle of dissolving all the gunk like it was candy for very hot water. I love gasoline and the more I know it, more I am in deep love of it. No wonder some rats want to take it out of us, it's powerful and filled with possibilities of creating, fixing and making things move.

I just finished deep cleaning and greasing the gearshift thing, the oil cooler tubes, the clutch hoses... All that needed to be installed previously the swing arm and the final drive and wheel. Things fell very slow, but are going ahead without stop. I think I'm taking three months for finishing it, if I have not money issues for buying the parts that I would need. By the moment just a PAIR valve is really bad and need replacement. Also some oil, brake fluid, the common things. The fork seals too, they have to be new.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_8441.JPG
    IMG_8441.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8442.JPG
    IMG_8442.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8444.JPG
    IMG_8444.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8447.JPG
    IMG_8447.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8455.JPG
    IMG_8455.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8456.JPG
    IMG_8456.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8457.JPG
    IMG_8457.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Well, I almost forget what the hell I've been doing until now.

I cleaned the small parts for installing the swing arm and the wheel. And, of course, the wheel itself.

All the bearings, oil seals, the ABS crown, the brake disk, the brake caliper support, blablalbah...

The brake caliper support (or however it's called...) I thought it was black. Damn I was wrong. Anyways, I spent like an hour or more just brushing the cursed blacked out of our dimension with I-already-don't-know-how-many-freaking cups of gasoline until thing get to be aluminium colour again. Pictures speak by themselves. I'm impressed for the heavy amount of dirtyness this motorcycle has. But more because I am blessed with success in my effort of cleaning and restoring all good for a new long riding life. I really like whan I'm seeing. Even if I have to get a new used engine, this motorcycle is in sweet point of life, really in good shape despite the 100K kms of dirty and hot city riding it has had.

The wheel... It was black because the dirtyness. After hours cleaning, I got it back again to normality. The painting was bad to the point I wanted to paint it again or get out all the painting. So I searched for a good paint stripper, but before going to buy it, an expensive one that would be good with aluminium, I tried with a bottle of acetone I had around my lot of weird stuff. The thing worked instantly and really well, almost, again, like sugar under hot water. So I didn't use paint stripper at all, and as I kinda like the original colour, I just cleaned it and that's how it will stay by the moment.

I dissasembled the disk brake and ABS crown and spent, even again, a lot of brushing for cleaning the buried parts. This motorcycle was never, EVER, washed. I think is the first hobo motorcycle I've know in my life.

The ABS crown had a lot of stuck dirt between the teeth hard as small rocks, but I've had more desire to clean it so now is shiny (but not abused) everywhere.

(No metal parts were damaged in any of these processes).

The suspension regulator was clearly broken, as it only started to work at the top 20% of its career. So, I'm changing the tube, that is clearly bad, and I'm opening and refurbishing the master and slave cylinder of the rear suspension regulator, and I hope brake fluid DOT4 works well because I've not any blinker fluid anymore so I'm using the DOT4 for that hydraulic regulator. I have a 12 ton press that I'll use in order to get down the slave cylinder, to take out the circlip that hold it in place and open it slowly without making the spring fly along my head from side to side. So, I'll check how it's inside and if I can open it for cleaning it I'll do it. Then I will be able to mount the swing arm and go to the front fork. I can mount the suspension stuff later, despite I would have to take again the shock absorber in order to properly get out all the air from inside it when connecting the master cylinder.

Attachments

• IMG_8459.JPG
    IMG_8459.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8461.JPG
    IMG_8461.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8481.JPG
    IMG_8481.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8486.JPG
    IMG_8486.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8488.JPG
    IMG_8488.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8492.JPG
    IMG_8492.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8496.JPG
    IMG_8496.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8498.JPG
    IMG_8498.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8500.JPG
    IMG_8500.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8502.JPG
    IMG_8502.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8504.JPG
    IMG_8504.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8506.JPG
    IMG_8506.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8508.JPG
    IMG_8508.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8510.JPG
    IMG_8510.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8514.JPG
    IMG_8514.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8515.JPG
    IMG_8515.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8517.JPG
    IMG_8517.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8519.JPG
    IMG_8519.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8521.JPG
    IMG_8521.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 18
There's only a couple places where oil leaks occur on a st1300.

Waterpump - when the waterpump fails there will be coolant and/or oil seep out of the small round or square hole at the bottom-front-right side of the engine and air flow will typically push that all over the engine. It might also leak out of the waterpump housing section.

Hose connections - there are several in the top valley of the engine that, if loose, can also mimic a waterpump failure and again, airflow will make it look like the entire engine is leaking.

Valve checks - sometimes someone will get the rubber flap that covers the top of the engine between the valve cover gasket and engine and that can cause a major leak quickly - that isn't a mechanical failure and simply a user error and happens fast enough it's usually fixed quickly.

I would clean the engine, get it all together and get it running and THEN see if it leaks. You can't tell much from a non-running bike.
I’ll agree with the last sentence here (and the others as well for that matter but especially this last sentence). Since you don’t know for sure where it’s coming from, get it running and get it to leak where it will and then correct the problem areas. If you start taking things apart that don’t need to be taken apart, the very least you’ll do is create a bunch of work and expense that didn’t need to occur.

I’ll agree with the last sentence here (and the others as well for that matter but especially this last sentence). Since you don’t know for sure where it’s coming from, get it running and get it to leak where it will and then correct the problem areas. If you start taking things apart that don’t need to be taken apart, the very least you’ll do is create a bunch of work and expense that didn’t need to occur.

Maintenance is done in order to avoid further damage to things that can be fixed before getting seriously broken. That's what I'm doing by the moment. I'm checking stuff, cleaning and lubricating them, and fixing what seems to be broken or close to getting broken.

Back
Top Bottom