Great Radio!!!

Looks awesome!!! I still have not figured out how to make my pictures smaller to add to ths site?? I will try again tomorrow night.

Having problems with my radio, and I don't know if its me, the radio is broken, or it's just how it is supposed to be. Here they are:

1. The REM45 only works when plugged into the Remote socket on the radio.
  2. I can't figure out how to set the clock.
  3. I can't figure out how to set channel presets.
  4. I can't figure out how to tune to channel presets. I can only manually tune to channels or scan the whole band for active signals. Some of the presets are set, factory defaults I'm guessing, but I can't do any of my own.
  5. The gain on the aux input is very low. I need to have my MP3 player volume set to Max, and the radio to near max to get anywhere near the volume levels I would need on the road.

I have my bike in pieces for this install, and I need help quick. The bike is my only transportation. I would hate to miss a day of work because of this install, or have to put everything back together without installing the radio.

I found a one page manual on the prospect electronics website. I isn't encouraging. It makes me think I am not going to be able to set the clock, or get presets. I could really use answers!?. If this is the product then it really sucks!!!!

Last edited:
those instructions suck. the only thing that stands out is the band button where it says press and hold for 2 seconds to get direct or category. you might have to explore the categories and use the sel button to choose. sorry, that's all i've got. good luck.

I installed a radio and Polk speakers on my ST1300 this weekend.

I ended up going with:
- JBL MBB218, I am not using the faceplate that comes with the radio.
http://www.hodgesmarine.com/JBL-MBB218-AM-FM-BLACK-BOX-TUNER-p/jblmbb-218s.htm
- Instead, I am using a JBL REM35 remote.
http://www.hodgesmarine.com/JBL-REM35-BLACK-REMOTE-WITH-20-OF-CABLE-p/jblrem35b20.htm
- Instead of using the 20 ft cable that came with the REM35, I went with a JBL REX-10-13 10' cable.
http://www.iboats.com/JBL_REX_10_13...5171073--session_id.963651770--view_id.220584
- I am using the Poly-Planar IC-3.5PM MP3 Adapter to connect my iPod.
http://www.hodgesmarine.com/POLY-PLANAR-IC-3-5PM-MP3-ADAPTER-p/polic-3.5pm.htm
- I used the Universal Window-mount Antenna from Crutchfield.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-I8QQsZxs0jD/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=44UA200&i=12044UA200

I installed the radio in my left locked pocket. I connected it to the 9-pin connector on the quartet harness. My GPS was already connected to the black connector. Using the 9-pin connector, the radio only works when the ignition switch is in the run position. I made a bracket for the REM35 remote using a flat piece of aluminum (1/8? thick, ?? wide, 36? long) that I purchased at Home Depot. I did not take any pictures of just the bracket. But, I basically created a bracket in the shape of a football goal post.

I took a brief test ride late today. I will not win any sound contests, but I could hear my speakers while riding on the interstate up to 75-80mph (stock windshield fully raised). I wear a Shoei Syncrotec helmet. I did notice that I could hear the radio (FM station) a little better than my iPod, even though the volume was maxed out on my Nano.

Attachments

• control3.JPG
    control3.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 214
  • antenna.JPG
    antenna.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 177
  • control and iPOD.JPG
    control and iPOD.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Aux In.JPG
    Aux In.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 144
Mark,

In response to your post earlier today.

1. The REM45 only works when plugged into the Remote socket on the radio.
The setup that I am using (MBB218 & REM35) operates the same way. You must connect to the remote control port (B).
2. I can't figure out how to set the clock.
Ditto using the REM35. In my case (MBB218), I suppose I could temporarily connect my faceplate and set the clock.
3. I can't figure out how to set channel presets.
Ditto using the REM35.
4. I can't figure out how to tune to channel presets. I can only manually tune to channels or scan the whole band for active signals. Some of the presets are set, factory defaults I'm guessing, but I can't do any of my own.
Ditto using the REM35.
5. The gain on the aux input is very low. I need to have my MP3 player volume set to Max, and the radio to near max to get anywhere near the volume levels I would need on the road.
I experience the same with my setup (MBB218 and REM35).

This is how I set my clock, I stayed up until midnight and cycled power on the radio. Pulled the power connector and reconnected exactly at midnight. Man Am I unhappy with this Radio.

I just spoke to Danny Burch Engineering/Product Development/Product Compliance Chief and he confirmed for me that you can not set the clock on the MBB-Mini, or with the REM35. He also confirmed that you can not set or use any channel presets.

Unless we are going to just sit down and get burnt by this company everyone should call prospect at (843)849-9037 ask for Todd Allen or Danny Burch and express you disappointment.

One point I stressed is that they aggressively advertised in Motorcycle magazines and a radio that does not have presets is not safe. I am going to send a email stating my main issues,

Clock can not be set
Presets can not be set
Presets can not be recalled

Send emails to

Todd Allen
Vice President of Sales and Marketing
tallen@prospecelectronics.com

Lewis Welsh
National Sales Manager
lwelsh@prospecelectronics.com

Danny Burch
Engineering/Product Development/Product Compliance Chief
dburch@prospecelectronics.com

Steve Treibly
Director of Production and Quality Control
streibly@prospecelectronics.com

Eric Raih
Operations Manager
eraih@prospecelectronics.com

Josh Berry
Special Markets Manager
jaberry@prospecelectronics.com

Deanna Walter
Marketing Coordinator
dwalter@prospecelectronics.com

Zenina Dottery
Warranty Coordinator
prospecwarranty@prospecelectronics.com

If we can flood them with calls and emails over the next few days we maybe able to get things changed.

I just called and left a message for Danny for the same issues with no response yet. I hope they make good on this problem!!!! I also am trying to get them to send a Sirius reciever for free since their website(Boaters world) say nothing about needing to purchase this unit seperatly!!! I still do like the radio but would like to at least set presets.

I would worry about that Sirus reciever. I just talked to Danny and the the SIRIUS reciever has the same issue, no channel presets, still can't set the clock. The buttons needed are not there. He told me with the remotes you have limited functionallity. I am also writing a email to the editors of RIDER magazine since they did a product announcement of it. My thought is without presets it is not safe as a motorcycle product.

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY OTHER MAGAZINES THAT FEATURED THE PROSPEC ELECTRONICS / JBL MBB-MINI?

Last edited:
AUX input has low gain. It is designed for sources with more drive. I am using a cheap MP3 player. It could be argued that is my problem. However if some of you can't get enough volume out of an IPOD then there are more issues. I know they marketed the unit as a MP3 interface. With my PQI MP3 player hooked up with both the volume of the radio and MP3 on max I can not hear out of the dash speakers with the engine running. I am using 45 watt speakers. Volume on the radio channels is fine. I can hear the radio up to 85 miles an hour.

Here is the email I just sent to the Editor of RIDER Magazine.

Hello,

several months ago in the new gear section of the magazine a new radio was featured by Prospec Electronics. The Radio called the MBB-MINI is a small two part black box radio (MBB2) and controller head (REM45) that was touted as being good for motorcycling. At www.st-owners.com we saw the product feature you published and many of our members made purchases. We stated receiving our units this week and are having issues. With the MBB-Mini control head, the REM45, it is not possible to set the clock on the radio, or use any of the radio channel presets. The Black box receiver (MBB) is capable of 5 channel presets per broadcast band AM1, AM2, FM1, FM2, FM3, and 20 channel presets for each of the two Sirius bands, SIRIUS1 and SIRIUS2. However the REM45 control head does not give access to these features. The product was released as a MP3 integrator, but the gain on the AUX input is so low it can not be heard clearly through 45WATT speakers at more then an idle.

I do not believe this is a good product, and it could be said it is not safe, requires full manual tuning vs. presets.

As an editor of RIDER who put there name behind this product when you put it in your magazine, can you help us to bring pressure on the company to make things right? There are at least 5 of us a ST-Owners who purchased this radio, and all of us installed before we found out the issues. All of us have cut holes in dashes and pockets to install the equipment. Boaters World, the only retailer of the radio, may take the radios back, but I would have to replace $150 with of plastic to get my ST1300 back to original condition. I don?t want to send it back, I want it fixed. PLEASE HELP US!?

I want to make sure that I am clear on my experience with the aux in on the MBB. When using my iPod (Nano) I do not have the same issue as Mark described "can not be heard clearly through 45WATT speakers at more then an idle".

I can hear sound through my iPod when riding down the road, it's just not as loud as the FM radio. It is not a huge difference, but just something that I noticed.

Thanks,
tman

Just my .02 on the following:
1. Setting the clock on the radio. On my setup (MBB218 w/REM35) the clock is only displayed when my ignition switch is in the run position and the radio is powered off. The clock is not displayed when the radio is powered on. This may be different when using the REM45. Since the bike has a clock & the radio clock is not always displayed on the remote, this doesn't really bother me.
2. Radio channel presets. Going into this thing, I assumed that I would not be able to use presets on this radio. This was based on the pictures of the REM35/REM45 remotes (i.e. no preset buttons 1,2,3, etc.).

Since I just completed my install this past weekend I don't really have much feedback yet. Before installing this radio I was torn between using a radio and just an AMP with speakers. My main objective was to be able to listen to my iPod or Pioneer XM2Go satelite radio through speakers mounted on the bike. After considering several options I decided what the heck, why not get something that could provide FM radio. I tend to always listen to a single radio station when I am in my local area. As long as you connect the memory wire (yellow) to a permanent power source, the radio will remember that last station that you listened to. I figured on road trips I would mostly use my iPod or XM2Go. I guess that's why I'm not too upset about the lack of presets.

Again, just my rambling thoughts.

Thanks,
tman

I am also using it mainly for the Sirius radio but I was trying toi eliminate my Starmate on the other handlebar. I don't care about the clock but if I buy the Sirius reciever for this radio I have to scroll through all the channels to get to the one I want. I usually listen to the blues channel or the classic rewind so it really is not that big of a deal. I do love how small the remote is!!!

I have not been on any trips since installing my radio (JBL MBB-218 w/REM35B), but so far I am enjoying it. As H20SKIER pointed out, the REM35/45 remote is a nice size.

My next desire was to have a way to connect multiple devices to the aux-in on my radio. Ideally, one of the devices would have priority input over the other devices. The solution for me was the Mix-It2 available at http://www.mixitproducts.com. This device works great. I connect my GPS to the ?Isolated Mono In Priority? port and my other devices (iPod & XM2Go) to the standard ?In? ports. By using the volume knob on the Mix-It2 I am able to increase the gain to the aux-in that allows me to hear sound a little better through my speakers at highway speeds.

Has anyone installed the Sirius reciever made for this unit? If so How is it? I am going to be ordering one probably next week and hopefully have it installed before NNESTOC..

Ok, I've had the radio installed for two weeks, and have gotten most of the ignition noise artifacts out. I am still steamed about not being able to set the clock, or use the channel presets, but I do like the radio. If not for the two fore mentioned problems I would happy recommend the radio. I not there yet. The size of the control head is great. The packaging of the radio box is very clean.

I did have a problem with the Crutchfield Amplified antenna. It died in the first week. I have switched to an external high gain antenna mounted to a mount I fabricated. It is attached using the Givi Trunk hardware.

I have had to sheath all cables, and I mean all to include the antenna wire, with wire tinned copper grounding braid. .5 inch works good. I Open up the braid tube and feed the wire through. I bought mine at a local CB shop, but you can buy it online as well. Here is just one place: http://www.action-electronics.com/braid.htm

Make sure the braid is attached to a good ground. I am still getting some noise on the low AM stations. I believe this to be from the speaker wires in the dash. I did not braid them originally and haven't torn the bike down that far to add it. I am also using a ground loop isolator on the audio cable going into my StarCom. I have added Ferrite loops to all cables as well. This is the one I have used. You can get it from Radio Shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103222

I have also added a 20 amp power noise filter to the main power wire on the radio, the power wire with the 10 amp fuse. At pep boys and other auto shops you will see two different types one type is a small plastic box about 1.5inch square. The other type is a cylinder 1.25 in diam and 3 inch long. I tried both and the cylinder worked best.

Back
Top Bottom