Great Radio!!!

I haven't bothered to shield any wires and don't even attempt AM if the engine is running. Might try this over the winter, tho.

I'm happy with the FM reception except when searching. It seldom finds a station when out in the boonies. If I have a strong signal _before_ getting to the boonies it tends to stick with for a long time.

Any suggestions? I ain't exactly a radio expert but I can handle the install if someone gives me a list of the right parts.

Oh, yeah, gotta add I'm _very_ happy with the waterproof speaker set.

Thanks,

On the AM band, I only have heavy ignition noise below 700 kHz, but I can still listen to the channels and mentally turn out the noise. Above 700 kHz I can barely hear the noise. FM is clear and strong.

What antenna are you using. I started with the Crutchfield powered antenna and got average results, then it died, lasted 1 week. I then switched to a full mast Automotive Antenna mounted on the back of the bike, cheapo. Worked about as good as the crutchfield. I then changed to a high gain automotive antenna. I now have reception better than the crutchfield and I don't have to worry about having a powered antenna. I just bought the high gain, they are the full length antennas that are also wire wrapped, at Pep Boys and screwed into the base I got with the cheap antenna.

Mark, I'll try a hi-gain if that's what it takes. ReSTored has a rubber ducky at the wind screen. AM there is also NG.

I wanted to avoid the whip on STick as she's kind'a sporty (if ya know what I mean) and a Llllloooooooooooooooooong antenna ain't exactly sevlte. STill, ya do what ya gotta do.

Really like these speakers, tho.

I used the Polk DB-401s really like them. Good drive with this radio. On a second note. I published the same review on boaters world, and each time it didn't make it on the site. I guess they only take positive reviews?

I used the Polk DB-401s really like them. Good drive with this radio. On a second note. I published the same review on boaters world, and each time it didn't make it on the site. I guess they only take positive reviews?

Took 3 mos but H20Skier and two of my reviews are now showing up on Boaters World. Also Boaters World is showing the unit out of stock again. I haven't heard anything else from Prospec since their VP of marketing called me. He said I could always buy the full size faceplate.

I use the radio everyday, and except for the issues I have beat to death in this thread already I am happy. I don't know if there is anything better available for use on the ST. I noticed that prospec is offering a black box that includes a MP3 built in. It uses a usb cable to transfere files, and store on a harddrive in the black box. I don't think this would work on the ST due to the pocket heat.

UPDATE! I talked to Dany Burch at Prospec and the harddrive is soldstate, I would assume flash. Dany did not believe there would be any issues with heat. The new version with the new faceplate is MBB319.

Last edited:
UPDATE

I just checked the Prospec Electronics website and I guess they listened to us. They have released a new remote that has the features we asked for. You can set and scan channel presets and you can set the clock, it also works as sirus and CD changer. It is available in the same dull silver as the REM45 remote and also in a chrome. It also has a loudness option. I wonder if this this will help with the low gain MP3 input. It's slightly bigger, but I think it still will fit. see pic and manual below.

Attachments

• JBL-MC19.gif
    JBL-MC19.gif
    24.9 KB · Views: 96
  • JBL MC19 manual.pdf
    423.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
"did they give you any of the dimensions of the "black box"? I am wondering if it will fit in the fairing pocket?"

I would definitely think twice before putting anything electronic in one of the fairing pockets. Do you have any idea how hot it gets inside those pockets?

"did they give you any of the dimensions of the "black box"? I am wondering if it will fit in the fairing pocket?"

I would definitely think twice before putting anything electronic in one of the fairing pockets. Do you have any idea how hot it gets inside those pockets?

It is the same black box as dicussed in this thread. it fits with plenty of room. I right to work every day, and this summer I rode with the JBL MBB-MINI in my Left Glove Pocket, I did not have any issues. Now I did heavily ventilate the pocket there are four 1.5 inch holes along the bottom, most of the bottom of the pocket is gone. This was mainly for access. There is a 1.5 inch hole at the front side of the pocket just above the bottom. This is just visible in the top of the picture. I also added a 1.5 inch hole in the rear top of the pocket. In the picture you can just see where I didn't trim all of the plastic away from the hole. Look at the bottom of the picture just under the cable for the REM45 control head. These last two pockets were added for air flow. I also have my inner shrouds ventilated. See posts on this site for how to ventilate.

Attachments

• IMGP2005 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP2005 (Medium).JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 335
  • IMGP2003.JPG
    IMGP2003.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
I have a question. Why do you need a water proof radio. I understand it makes sense. But, if it is being mounted in the side box isn't water proof

I just ordered the MC-19 faceplate for my MBB direct from Prospec. I wanted the silver and the retailers are only carrying the chrome version. I will post pics when I get the unit installed. I'm not sure if I will mount it in the current location, or move it to between the handlebars.

Hello St Brothers,
I Have A St 1300 A . My Bike Has What Looks Like Speaker Grills On Each Side Of The Dash. Do The Speakers Mount With The Boxes Behind These ? Can Any One Help My Situation. Thanx

yes, you can buy the speaker boxes from David Silver Spares in the UK. Fit them with 4in speakers. I used polk waterproof speakers, 45 watts. Mounting can be done with Jack Screws in the holes in the boxes. I have pictures of my install, but I haven't gotten around to posting them yet.

My husband has an '06 ST1300 and I want to get him a radio set up for his bike. What's the difference between the MBB MINI and the JBL MBB218S? After reading everyone's comments, I'm still not sure what exactly I need to order. Can anyone help me out??

Snook90 you will need the JBL MBB MINI but keep in mind the remote that comes with this (REM45) does not allow you to set the clock or any preset stations. I understand that there is a new remote for this unit which is the MC19 and has full functions. This is the link for Boaters World http://www.boatersworld.com/product/319142147.htm
Prospec electronics is the distributor and you may want to contact them about the new remote before ordering. http://www.prospecelectronics.com/firsthome.htm

I like the remote that came with the MBB MINI because it is small and very easy to use. Good luck. Bob

I finally mounted the MC19 Controller, and I couldn't be happier. Those who want to try this some warnings. This is not for the faint at heart. The MC19 is 2.5x the size of the REM45 Controller. The MC19 is designed to be mounted from a Bezel ring not the back like the REM45. This resulted in the controller being about .75 inch wider and taller than it needed to be. You could leave this, but I can never leave well enough alone.

Since I knew I was going to be mounting from the back I used a grinding wheel and a large flat file to cut then grind way the bezel. You must be careful when your done the sidewall at the seam between the top and bottom shell of the controller ends up being about 1/64 inch thick. I chipped a corner. The first picture shows what you have to cut away.

After grounding the paint of the controller sides is trashed so you must repaint. To do this remove the small screws on the back of the controller. you can now separate the top and bottom clamshell. The top portion is just the button membrane. Pull the membrane away from the top clamshell. Paint the clam shell. When the paint has dried for at least a day reassemble the unit.

Now to paint the rest. Put masking top over the top face of the control head. Cover all the way out to the edges, this is the only protection you have to keep paint from the buttons and the face.

Use masking tape to wrap the cable coming out of the controller. Place the controller face down and paint the back and sides. Since you only taped the front face, the sides of the top and the bottom clamshell is getting paint. It's OK the sides of the top clamshell are getting two coats. Once you have good coverage let dry.

I used Motorcycle Larry's center mount to attach the RAM Ball system. I the control head is mounted to the a universal rectangular ram mount. This is the one that is about 1.5in X 6in. I used my cut away a clearance for the cable behind the ram ball, and cut the dimensions down so it would fit behind the controller. The final dimension was about 1in X 4 in.

Next I sanded the back of the RAM Ball mount and used the mount as a template to sand away the paint on the back of the controller. The mount is connected to the controller with 3M HMB foam tape. You can get this at auto stores. Its the same tape used to hold the fairing deflectors on your bike. After the tape sets up, about 24 hours. It is very strong, but can be removed if necessary.

Sorry I didn't take pics of the build. I started the project around 9:00pm and worked until 7:00am. I was just trying to get it working.

The MC19 Controller is far superior to the REM45. I have access to all the presets and I can set the clock. BTW: for those of you who are using the REM45 and would like to repaint, use the same procedure here to disassemble and paint.

Attachments

• JBL-MC19_Mod.gif
    JBL-MC19_Mod.gif
    25.7 KB · Views: 334
  • IMAG0017.jpg
    IMAG0017.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 470
  • IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMAG0020.jpg
    IMAG0020.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 217
What speakers did you use and what antenna? I ordered the JBL MBB219 (with the MC19 remote) for my husband's bike. I was happy to see that I didn't have any of the backordering problems everyone else had. Of course, I waited until the last minute before Christmas.

Read earlier in the thread. I give a good discription. I bought the speaker boxes, boxes only, from David Silver spares in the UK. I built the wiring harness myself. The mounting hardware for the Polk speakers, I think 401s but I say it earlier in the thread, were J-Hooks, posted by someone else earlier in the thread, and 5/16 jack screws. The jack screws are how I mount the boxes in the bike. Feel free to have your husband PM me when he tries to put it together. I didn't do a complete write up because it was just too envolved, but I would be happy to help. PM also I and will give you my phone number.

Back
Top Bottom