"all bikes lead to a Goldwing"

Yes, so I can ride the rides. My right knee starts to burn within the first hour or so. Stopping and walking around helps a little, but it aches for the rest of the day. All I can think about is the next stop once it starts.

If I rode the bike all the way up to Ohio, for example, there would be no way I could ride the next morning. WV-STOC is much closer. In fact, I am considering riding up there this fall, since my second hip has healed.

But just throwing everything I might want into the back seat of the car is just so darned convenient compared to packing only what I must on a bike. However, having a trailer now does make that less of a problem.

I have already had my knee examined and X-rayed, and I have an appointment next month to plan surgery this winter in time to heal by spring and riding season. I'm going to request pre-surgery physical therapy.
I had this issue with my left knee. Could not bend it back very far, nor leave it bent at all for very long without the burn. Had that knee replaced 2 years ago and it’s much better now. Just enough range to get up on the balls of my feet now and no pain!

I had my right knee replaced on January 24th of this year. I was back riding by May and might have even sneaked one in during April. It can still get a bit sore on the rides and there's been a lot of flexing the surgical knee while riding. I figured it helped with the mobilizing the flexibility of the knee to bend it back a bit from the riding position. But I haven't done any long trips, shorter ones no more than 40 minutes or so.

I've slacked off a bit on the post op rehab, e.g. stretching, squats etc., and need to get back to it as gains can be made over a year post surgery but it does slow down a bit after the first three months. Those first three months are critical though; get after the rehab and do the exercises just like they tell you, no more, no less. But do them regularly and remember to ice. I found the icing was the best pain relief, the meds were not much help.

When I made the appointment for next month, I also set up a tentative surgery date of Dec. 2nd. I figured that I'd rather miss riding on warm winter days than warm spring days, and I want to be fully functional (well, as much as I am now :nuts:) by OH-STOC 25.

As for meds, with both of my hips, I intentionally never took anything stronger than Tramadol 3x a day. I plan on asking for pre-surgery therapy. I also read that cemented implants are less desirable than friction-fit. Any other options, tips, or suggestions?

Reactions: Obo
My understanding is that knees are a bit harder to recover from than hips. I also relied more on Tramadol. The hydromorphone didn't seem to touch the pain and it felt like I was jumping out of my skin all the time. 10/10 would not recommend. I bought a Breg Polar Wave and as I say, it was great for pain. I would put it on after each stretching/rehab session. I did the pre-op physio as well, not sure whether it helped or not. I think it likely did because the physio mentioned post surgery that I had more leg strength than most of the patients he saw.

My surgeon limited me to 10 minutes on my feet per hour for the first 2 months to help with swelling and letting things heal. I got a good quality recliner and spent a fair time in front of the tv, computer keyboard, reading etc. I even slept in the recliner for the first couple of weeks. So I would recommend one of those if you haven't got one. The only caution being that they want your leg straight out in front of you at all times, the recliner encouraged a slight bend at the knee which inhibits teaching your leg to straighten again. I solved that with a pillow under the foot which straightened the knee out perfectly, even if I did prefer the slightly less painful slight bend :D.

I was told to use a walker, as opposed to crutches, to get around as it encouraged me to walk properly, i.e., heel toe. My brother in law, who lives in a different province and who had his done the day after mine was done, was given crutches. So medical opinion may vary, I preferred the walker to the crutches when I tried them. It worked well also because we have a one storey rancher, my brother in law had to deal with stairs, likely why the crutches. I bought my walker for cheap off Amazon, less than $75 I think.

The hardest thing was not pushing to do more. The body needs a chance to rest and heal but it can be frustrating.

How long after surgery before you could ride again?
Doc told me no driving or riding for 4 months but I was driving (a manual) in about 7 weeks and riding my bike at around 10 weeks. No issues, but it did take some more time to get my range of motion to where I could fully pull my left foot back far enough to get the balls of my foot up on the pegs. Don't have to think about it now though.

My surgeon limited me to 10 minutes on my feet per hour for the first 2 months to help with swelling and letting things heal.
I'm an electrician. I don't think I can limit my activity that much.

The only caution being that they want your leg straight out in front of you at all times, the recliner encouraged a slight bend at the knee which inhibits teaching your leg to straighten again.
That's one of my symptoms; I can not straighten my right leg.

I was told to use a walker, as opposed to crutches, to get around as it encouraged me to walk properly, i.e., heel toe.
I have two walkers already, so I don't need another one.

I found that the best way to use one is to close it and roll it alongside me as I walk leaning on it.

I'm an electrician. I don't think I can limit my activity that much.

That's one of my symptoms; I can not straighten my right leg.

I have two walkers already, so I don't need another one.

I found that the best way to use one is to close it and roll it alongside me as I walk leaning on it.
You might get additional replies if you started a thread in Off Topic instead of at the bottom of an unrelated thread?

My surgeon was kinda the opposite to limiting my time on the new knee. He and the therapist wanted me using it as much as possible and using ice & elevation for swelling.

Back
Top Bottom