"all bikes lead to a Goldwing"

IMG_2401-XL.jpg

I'm done adding anything to the bike for now (never say never). This will be a great touring mount.....just gotta go tour somewhere.
Mike
Looking good Buggy! The only thing left I believe you will eventually want to change is to a new or modified seat ( unless your a FLAT ASS CARL !)
:laugh-2x:

Wings don't have the ground clearance and lean angle of sport tourers, especially the best offerings. They can be ridden very fast but in the tight and twisty you miss that clearance trying to keep up.
The Wings might give up a little ground clearance to a real sport touring bike but my own personal, anecdotal, experience tells me it's not much. I had two guys thrash me on late model Gold Wings while I tried to keep up on my VFR800. It was a humbling experience.
IMG_2401-XL.jpg

I'm done adding anything to the bike for now (never say never). This will be a great touring mount.....just gotta go tour somewhere.
Mike
Oh man! That looks "The Business!" It looks like something Batman would ride on holiday.

Looking good Buggy! The only thing left I believe you will eventually want to change is to a new or modified seat ( unless your a FLAT ASS CARL !)
:laugh-2x:
I'm going to try the seat before I replace it. My problem is every aftermarket seat is leather. I want a heated seat with the same vinyl as a Sargent seat so that its waterproof.
Mike

The Wings might give up a little ground clearance to a real sport touring bike but my own personal, anecdotal, experience tells me it's not much. I had two guys thrash me on late model Gold Wings while I tried to keep up on my VFR800. It was a humbling experience.

Oh man! That looks "The Business!" It looks like something Batman would ride on holiday

Maybe he does ride it on holiday. Aerostich will do custom capes.
Mike

I'm going to try the seat before I replace it. My problem is every aftermarket seat is leather. I want a heated seat with the same vinyl as a Sargent seat so that its waterproof.
Mike
Contact Corbin, they will make exactly what you want.

you're missing the clutch lever!!!
;)
You know, I really don't miss it at all except in the twisties. I'm getting better at managing the DCT on twisty roads and I'm missing the clutch less and less. However, I think I will always prefer the clutch on the tighter stuff.
Mike

You know, I really don't miss it at all except in the twisties. I'm getting better at managing the DCT on twisty roads and I'm missing the clutch less and less. However, I think I will always prefer the clutch on the tighter stuff.
Mike
In the beginning I felt the same but I’m getting used to shifting with the switches just like using the clutch, it’s gets more natural the more I do it and I’m actually enjoying the new technique

Mike
When I worked for the Honda store I had a chance to put some miles on a NC700 DCT. I found that if I wanted to hustle the bike along I would flick the down ***** button when getting into the corner and let the DCT decide when to up shift. It worked a treat. I loved the DCT because I am an absent minded rider and often find myself in the wrong gear.

In the beginning I felt the same but I’m getting used to shifting with the switches just like using the clutch, it’s gets more natural the more I do it and I’m actually enjoying the new technique

I've got the DCT and had the foot pedal shifter installed so I can use either the switches installed on the bars or the foot pedal like a normal bike. It confuses folks to see a foot shifter and no clutch lever.

It was June 2008. I had just purchased my ST a week earlier. I was filling my fuel tank for the first time on my 2007 ST 1300 when an old, weathered man riding an old, weathered Goldwing 1500 pulled up beside me. We started talking about bikes, riding and travelling. I mentioned that I had just returned to riding after a long break, and I was excited to see the U.S. and Canada. He told me it looked like I had a worthy steed for my plans and then threw in "all bikes lead to a Goldwing". I laughed and told him that I wasn't sure about that. I guess the old guy was smarter than I gave him credit for being at the time.

This bike wasn't even on my radar three weeks ago. I was still in the Veruca Salt mindset of "I want an RS and I want it now". The fact that there are no BMW dealers in my state kept wearing on me. I don't want to be 3.5 hours from a dealer and I don't want to trailer a new bike home. I kept asking myself "what do you want?"

I already have the Versys 650. That will fill the fun in the twisties urges and I can travel on it for shorter distances.......so all of those boxes are checked.

I wanted the following:
Simple
Reliable
Comfortable (must have cruise control)
No drama (borderline boring)
Local
Relatively inexpensive

The answer I came up with.......no, it can't be.......over and over again........hell no, it can't be...........I'm not that old.........it checks all of the boxes...........damn, that old man was right.

A 2024 Goldwing (ouch, it hurts just to say it)..........I'm at least getting the "sportier" version without the lounge chair on back.

Meet Kermit, the green Goblin
IMG_2242-XL.jpg

Yes, I actually did it.
Mike
I too had a 2007 ST and now own a '21 Goldwing without the trunk .. love mine .. hope you enjoy yours for many years. All bikes lead to a Goldwing .. now that's a great line!IMG_2055.jpg

Congrats Mike! I have been looking myself. Before Covid they were giving the Goldwings away. I wish I would have bought one then. Not sure what I am going to end up with. But I have the itch.
Had to comment on this .. you're right .. for the first couple of years after the Goldwing redesign in 2018, there were tons of new holdovers in the pipeline, but once COVID hit, that inventory dried up very quickly .. I had to buy a new '21 in 2021 instead of my preferred new holdover

Back
Top Bottom