"all bikes lead to a Goldwing"

I think the only bike I bought as the result of either inductive or deductive reasoning was the blackbird. I'll never buy another motorcycle, but if I did, as much as I like the FJR, the styling, textures, and color combinations on some of the goldwings are cool.

Attachments

• Attachment-1[863].jpeg
    Attachment-1[863].jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 15
It was June 2008. I had just purchased my ST a week earlier. I was filling my fuel tank for the first time on my 2007 ST 1300 when an old, weathered man riding an old, weathered Goldwing 1500 pulled up.....
So Padden was already old clear back in 2008? Sure hope he's not reading all this you calling him old and weathered.

Maybe someday, but for now I can't love a GoldWing with no integrated trunk.

I'm open, though.

To some things... but this one may take some time.

That being said- the sport tourer doesn’t ride long distance as comfortable as the touring ( sporty) new GW. It all comes down to preference as has been quoted numerous times on this forum.
As the title of this thread graciously represents the truth for most of us, touring and comfort eventually becomes more important than the thrill of laying as low as possible in a fast curve.

I'll second the lean angle thing. I've drug the rider pegs on both sides on my new Wing, one in an off ramp sweeper. It's unsettling that with all that power and sportiness, leaning it over scares me for fear of catching a peg and dumping it. (Yes, I know the pegs pivot, but still....) I never worried about the ST catching a peg. I worried about it sliding out a tire.

I think I could do the same miles on each. Neither is perfectly comfortable and both are "uncomfy" in different ways. Neither is a deal breaker though!

I'll second the lean angle thing. I've drug the rider pegs on both sides on my new Wing, one in an off ramp sweeper. It's unsettling that with all that power and sportiness, leaning it over scares me for fear of catching a peg and dumping it. (Yes, I know the pegs pivot, but still....) I never worried about the ST catching a peg. I worried about it sliding out a tire.
I've dragged the pegs on my 1300, from early on in our relationship. It's that confidence-inspiring.

I don't make it a habit, and yeah I was startled the first time.

Interestingly, I haven't touched any hard parts since I went double dark.

Likewise, I know an NSF coach and world champion drill team rider who can wheelie his Wing at will, and maintain it over distance.

Had the Iron Horse Shootout here last weekend and I am just amazed at how these guys can ride. On the speed course I never heard so much floor board grinding in my life. Harley's really don't mind scraping the floorboards although one guy told me they have to change them out often because the grinding turns them into knives and they cut up their boots. The Arizona State Troopers looked the sharpest in their uniforms and on their RT's. All BMW's and Harley's. Not one police Wing at the event. Some guy named Guzman from Beverly Hills PD that just destroyed the fast course. He did not fair as well in the precision course. Watched one guy from Arapaho County sheriffs dept drop his bike at least seven times in the precision course and you get no help picking up your bike. Hometown Amarillo PD just made the rest of the teams look really bad in the four man team event. Don't know how they keep from running into each other as the course had lead changes during the run and all sorts of twists and turns.

They would run me off pretty quick because there would be cones knocked over everywhere and nothing even resembling a course after I got through.

They must be in the wrong place if that is the case. The wrong place on the pegs that is, not on your feet.
I can't bend my knees enough to keep the balls of my feet on the pegs. If my boots didn't have heels, my feet would slide even farther forward.

I can't bend my knees enough to keep the balls of my feet on the pegs. If my boots didn't have heels, my feet would slide even farther forward.
That sucks!
I know that you have previously stated that you have hip pain after long rides but I didn't know that you had knee trouble as well.
I see why you trailer to events.

I was shocked at how easy it is to ride the NC750X FAST through the twisties. I can ride it just as fast as the 690 SuperMoto I had and with such a low CG it feels really planted.
Tell me about it. Same curve, different day.

NC700XDealsGap.jpg1048738_zpsfb7ps9i0.jpg4593379.jpgIMG_2704.JPG

That sucks!
I know that you have previously stated that you have hip pain after long rides but I didn't know that you had knee trouble as well.
I see why you trailer to events.
Yes, so I can ride the rides. My right knee starts to burn within the first hour or so. Stopping and walking around helps a little, but it aches for the rest of the day. All I can think about is the next stop once it starts.

If I rode the bike all the way up to Ohio, for example, there would be no way I could ride the next morning. WV-STOC is much closer. In fact, I am considering riding up there this fall, since my second hip has healed.

But just throwing everything I might want into the back seat of the car is just so darned convenient compared to packing only what I must on a bike. However, having a trailer now does make that less of a problem.

I have already had my knee examined and X-rayed, and I have an appointment next month to plan surgery this winter in time to heal by spring and riding season. I'm going to request pre-surgery physical therapy.

Yes, so I can ride the rides. My right knee starts to burn within the first hour or so. Stopping and walking around helps a little, but it aches for the rest of the day. All I can think about is the next stop once it starts.

If I rode the bike all the way up to Ohio, for example, there would be no way I could ride the next morning. WV-STOC is much closer. In fact, I am considering riding up there this fall, since my second hip has healed.

But just throwing everything I might want into the back seat of the car is just so darned convenient compared to packing only what I must on a bike. However, having a trailer now does make that less of a problem.

I have already had my knee examined and X-rayed, and I have an appointment next month to plan surgery this winter in time to heal by spring and riding season. I'm going to request pre-surgery physical therapy.
Man, my prayers for your knee to heal!

Man, my prayers for your knee to heal!
Thank you. It's not necessarily 100% that I'll have the surgery this winter, but if it needs doing, I want to get it over with. I expect to heal well like I did with both hips, though knees are more difficult.

A lady pushing 80 rides pillion with her husband throughout WV, just had a knee replacement.

She's back on the back again after a few weeks, taking photos again of the old churches and baens out in the country.

Pillion Viewpoint on ADVrider.

IMG_2401-XL.jpg

I'm done adding anything to the bike for now (never say never). This will be a great touring mount.....just gotta go tour somewhere.
Mike

Back
Top Bottom