"all bikes lead to a Goldwing"

That is an absolutely gorgeous bike. Do not be fooled, these bikes can be hustled along the twisty roads with the best of the sport touring offering. These are not your Grandfather's Wing.

That is an absolutely gorgeous bike. Do not be fooled, these bikes can be hustled along the twisty roads with the best of the sport touring offering. These are not your Grandfather's Wing.
Wings don't have the ground clearance and lean angle of sport tourers, especially the best offerings. They can be ridden very fast but in the tight and twisty you miss that clearance trying to keep up.

Wings don't have the ground clearance and lean angle of sport tourers, especially the best offerings. They can be ridden very fast but in the tight and twisty you miss that clearance trying to keep up.
That being said- the sport tourer doesn’t ride long distance as comfortable as the touring ( sporty) new GW. It all comes down to preference as has been quoted numerous times on this forum.
As the title of this thread graciously represents the truth for most of us, touring and comfort eventually becomes more important than the thrill of laying as low as possible in a fast curve.

As the title of this thread graciously represents the truth for most of us, touring and comfort eventually becomes more important than the thrill of laying as low as possible in a fast curve.
Hence the dearth of young "sport touring" riders and sport touring bikes. The only bikes I see actually on the road touring are predominantly "dual sport" and the only young riders I EVER meet are at the track. :unsure:

Tom

Awwww, I thought I was a young rider. At least I feel young when I show up to a STOC event :biggrin:
Mike
Almost 500 riders at Paonia, youngest rider 38, average rider well into Social Security, 9 out of 10 bikes were dual sport. You'd be a "vintage" rider at the track. :rofl1:

Tom

Last edited:
Hence the dearth of young "sport touring" riders and sport touring bikes. The only bikes I see actually on the road touring are predominantly "dual sport" and the only young riders I EVER meet are at the track. :unsure:

Tom
If you would stop checking the stock market long enough while your riding and glance over at the oncoming traffic you would see many touring bikes ;) (I know I do) . The last Goldwing rally I attended must have had just over 50 bikes and only one was a “dual sport” and the owner just bought a new Goldwing “non tour”.
Seriously don’t know what age has to do with any of this.

I keep hearing and reading this, but I remain obstinate and argumentative.
How long did Yellow Wolf hold the record for both one- way AND round trip times on the Dragon? I don't even know if anyone has broken his record. Someone may have, I haven't checked.
Yes, he rode a GOLDWING. Now, he routinely replaced his footpegs, and not everyone will ride their Wing the way he does, but his record refutes the "ground clearance and lean angle" debate.
Likewise, I know an NSF coach and world champion drill team rider who can wheelie his Wing at will, and maintain it over distance.

At my age I see my 1100 fills about 95 percent of my needs. I can comfortably ride it in town. On the highway is perfect at 80 miles an Hour. At 625lbs wet I can still grab the handle bars and move it around without sitting in the saddle. What I liked about the Wing i tested was the motor. Smoother than my 1100 and when I put it in sport mode I was thinking damn this is fast. What I did not like was I could feel the extra 200 lbs and definitely i am not going to push it around with the handle bars like I do my 1100. Still if the day comes a Goldwing bagger will be on the radar as a worthy contender:)

How long did Yellow Wolf hold the record for both one- way AND round trip times on the Dragon? I don't even know if anyone has broken his record. Someone may have, I haven't checked.
Yes, he rode a GOLDWING. Now, he routinely replaced his footpegs, and not everyone will ride their Wing the way he does, but his record refutes the "ground clearance and lean angle" debate.
Likewise, I know an NSF coach and world champion drill team rider who can wheelie his Wing at will, and maintain it over distance.
Rick lived right down the hill and rode it most every day in 2006 when he had his business going. Knowing the road like he did he was able to ride it like he did but his corner speed and time across wasn’t nearly as quick as other local riders on sport bikes or supermotos with ground clearance. Seriously one of the faster riders there rides a NC750X. 54 hp and never lets off.

I would like to know how many sets of footpegs Yellow Wolf went through when he was filming on the Dragon.
Mike

Rick lived right down the hill and rode it most every day in 2006 when he had his business going. Knowing the road like he did he was able to ride it like he did but his corner speed and time across wasn’t nearly as quick as other local riders on sport bikes or supermotos with ground clearance. Seriously one of the faster riders there rides a NC750X. 54 hp and never lets off.
I don't know Rick, but I was trying to verify the actual times end to end. There are a couple of dedicated websites, connected to the NC Dept of Tourism, but they don't mention the speed record. They DO mention the speed LIMITS, and the history of said-same.

Found a YT video which shows a sportbike rider (MaxWrist I think?) setting the new "record" with like 9:09 in 2022. But I think it was from "the bridge" to the "NC state line", so that's not even the whole trip.

Couldn't find any actual live data on riders with official times, and it's really not that important to me. My only point was that Wings can be hustled around, way beyond what most riders will do with them.

In the end, I'll agree that any model GoldWing is not the first bike that comes to mind, in connection with the term "sport-tourer." The earliest models might wear that moniker correctly, but I don't think "sport touring" was even an actual term yet in those days.

The way I see it, is these things have motors that are stronger than I am.
I make them push themselves if they need to be moved.
On mine I park it nose first in the driveway so either I get on it and duck walk it out or muscle it out by the handlebars. I like to not become old and fat so I like to muscle it out. Also helps me keep in shape for my new younger girlfriend:)

I was shocked at how easy it is to ride the NC750X FAST through the twisties. I can ride it just as fast as the 690 SuperMoto I had and with such a low CG it feels really planted.

Back
Top Bottom