Where did you ride today?

Living in a big city suburban since many decades, I now really enjoy riding on the small rural roads.
It reminds me my teenage years, that I have spent on a farm. That was in the mid-seventies...
Back then, for years, I felt like I had been sent away, on a very distant place... far from everything.
We only had one TV channel : a boring one.
I only had one dream then... one day, I would leave this place... forever.
Forty years later... I feel so nostalgic riding around farms...
I just feel home again.
How ironic is that.

I couldn't resist stopping to take a picture of this friendly looking old tractor. A Farmall "Super A".
20240702_192306.jpg

20240702_192626.jpg

20240702_192710.jpg

According to the serial number, this particular one was built in 1950.

Last edited:
Hey Christian- does this post mean that you are riding and that you got your dead battery situation sorted out?
Yes. I was there at store opening, tuesday morning, july 2nd.
And I can confirm that the worst time and day to realise that your battery just died, is early on your national holiday (july 1st in canada) when almost every store is close, and you are sitting on the bike, with all your gear and stuff.... Oh well, at least, I was still in my driveway.
I rode 3 1/2 hours tuesday and 3 hours today.
Seems to be all that my back can take for now.
Maybe I should try to use a handlebar riser, for a slightly more upright sitting position.
But I guess some of those rural roads are a bit more bumpy than expected, or maybe I'm riding them a little too fast...

Another old Farmall today. This one from 1947. Model "F-Cub". And yes, despite it's age, they still use it, to haul some wagon and stuff aroud.
Aaah, the unique smell I recognised from a leaking seal..... Oh memories...
20240703_182218.jpg

20240703_161849.jpg

20240703_161543.jpg

On my false gas tank, a paper sheet containing my route, covered with a plastic sheet, blue masking tape all aroud. 100 percent old school !

20240703_174410.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the saga continues! Pouring rain here in Inuvik. The upper Dempster is very difficult, if not impossible, on a bike in the mud! I am too old for that s***. We are going to flat deck it out of here and try to get ahead of it.
I guess this is why it is called "adventure" riding!!
1000009165.jpg

Well, the saga continues! Pouring rain here in Inuvik. The upper Dempster is very difficult, if not impossible, on a bike in the mud! I am too old for that s***. We are going to flat deck it out of here and try to get ahead of it.
1000009165.jpg
Ahh the memories your trip brings back.

Attachments

• 02-25-2011 01;32;02PM.jpg
    02-25-2011 01;32;02PM.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 02-25-2011 01;44;10PM.jpg
    02-25-2011 01;44;10PM.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 12
  • 02-25-2011 01;45;08PM.jpg
    02-25-2011 01;45;08PM.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
1000009165.jpg
A very smart decision. Some riders south of you are held back with the smoke and road closures. Wishing you safe roads ahead!

Made to the Arctic Ocean. Rained on us. Deep, rutted gravel and mud!! Not a fun ride but glad we did it.
Just want to show you the respect that deserves, I know you earned every mile. Bravo!

bravo.gif

Just want to show you the respect that deserves, I know you earned every mile. Bravo!
Unless your life needs a personal goal of accomplishing a challange, hobbies should be as enjoyable as possible. :)
Well, the saga continues! Pouring rain here in Inuvik. The upper Dempster is very difficult, if not impossible, on a bike in the mud! I am too old for that s***.

When I made my first trip north with my wife a long time ago I told her from the beginning to not think of it (or call it) an Alaska trip; it was a summer motorcycle vacation. Every morning or night we would decide if we were still enjoying the trip and decide on the next destination. Evaluating continuously and changing a plan when circumstances dictate does not make a trip a failure. :)

When we reached north of Fairbanks and sat in the brewery at Fox. We talked to every rider returning from Prudhoe while the memory was fresh and EVERY SINGLE ONE told the same story: it was a terrible ride, nothing worthwhile to do or see, not enjoyable, not worth the effort. If we talked to them a couple of days later it almost always became a "you got to do it" ride. :rofl1:

If I am hitting my helmet asking myself why I'm doing this, I change the route or destination... but if you do enjoy a challenge, the tough rides make a great story (hopefully with better pictures). :thumbsup:

Tom

38129623465_b0a4f0deaf_c.jpg

39016130621_a3d8f054d5_c.jpg

Last edited:
We talked to every rider returning from Prudhoe while the memory was fresh and EVERY SINGLE ONE told the same story: it was a terrible ride, nothing worthwhile to do or see, not enjoyable, not worth the effort.

Tell me, sir... why did you climb that mountain?
"Because it was there."

Sometimes folks just have an idea or goal to do, and there doesn't always have to be a reason.

Much stranger and more difficult endeavors have been attempted in history, than riding a motorbike to Prudhoe Bay. Forty years ago, this was somewhat more difficult than it is today, but for those of us lower-48-ers, and for those across the globe that desire the same, it may still be an idea to pursue, for a variety of reasons or for none beyond "because I want to." I'm one of those.

We all have seen others' accomplishments that hold little to no interest for us at all. For some, it is the Iron Butt Rally, for some it may just be riding in the rain.

Best safty tip my flying instructor taught me was leave your Ego outside of the Plane, applies to bikes as well, when something sound like a bad idea it probably is.

Back
Top Bottom