What did you learn to ride on?

I'm glad @motornut started this thread.
It's cool seeing all the ancient iron (and plastic) that I drooled over, all those many years ago. And many of these older rides, if kept in decent condition, are far more collectible and valuable than, say, used furniture, formal china, silver and crystal glasses that people buy at a premium, and ultimately can't give away.
If anyone wants to give away an older motorbike, large or small, please let me know.
Much rather play with these machines, than with china or crystal.
Yep I know what you mean. When I was moving several years ago I found in my attic motorcycle sales brochures. One was of an 82 Suzuki GS1100 another was of an Honda CX 650 custom complete with the drool marks on them:rofl1: It was just a dream as I could never swing the payment on one of those beauties at the time. I will add my 2000 Honda ST1100 brochure to the collection.

Learned to ride on a 1968 BayCreast ,One speed coaster brake named Iron Donkey. Really learned how to stay alive on two wheels when got my first paper route. My route was on a mile and a half of New Westminster hi-way , ever play Chicken with two Semi trucks coming from both directions on a two lane road.
First motorized ride was a 1979 Honda 400 hawk put 40,000 kilometers on it . First ride was in Downtown Vancouver . Good times.IMG_1030-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm feeling somewhat lucky to have a friend with a few bikes around. It was a nice summer day some 14 years ago and he offered me to ride around the yard on a bike. Thought that was quite nice and really a lot easier than a bicycle. Not sure what bike that was, but the next day we took off for a friend's house about 2.5 hours away and I was riding a Honda 550, probably early 80's if not late 70's model. Everything went well until about 10 miles from the end of the ride when it was time to flip the fuel lever. Being my first chance to do that I fiddled and diddled, succeeded but noticed the outside edge of the road approaching. Nothing turned out badly but I leared the pucker factor concept by easing along the gravel on the edge, slowing down and using an approach to redirect myself back onto the proper tarred road.

Shortly thereafter it was time to find my own machine. About 2 hours away was a decent '77 Suzuki GS400X and as evening came I started home with my buddy driving behind. One stall caused a need for help with a push start as my leg was tired from kicking it over. Then off. We traded for a bit, but the last stretch through the hills was memorable because the lights of him following in the car were far more helpful than the little candle that was the stock bulb fitted in those machines.

Eventually after a trip with our school exchange program to Germany I just needed to upgrade to German stuff. Save the story of illegally driving with a permit from out of state, on the freeway and at night for another post. Now 12 years later that R1100RS is waiting for a younger more limber pilot. Still quite a hoot to twist the throttle and whoosh it goes with the typical Bavarian growl or purr or whatever you think of it as. No riding today....blizzard coming!

Initially, a Honda CM91 (a slightly different version of the C90), but the first "proper" bike (ie one with manual clutch and typical bike layout) was a Honda CD175 twin.

cm91.jpg

13895.jpg

In fact I had two 175s - the second one was metallic blue (I've posted this pic before).

hound175.jpg

This started my love of Hondas, and I've not bought a bike from another manufacturer since.

It is so impressive how many different bikes that remind me of my jealous younger years. Some of these are what I still would like to find in my garage now. I for awhile had a 65 honda 90 that the guy bought it because that was the motorcycle his mom wouldn't let him have. Guy lost about 20 years just sitting on it.
I can close my eyes and remember when I could ride like Surtees. Of course I was never as good as I think I used to be!

For me, it was my brother's Harley 65 for my first experience with a clutch, although it had the odd three speed shifter on the handlebars by twisting the grip on the clutch side to change gears. Then by mowing lawns, I scraped up enough money to buy a pretty rough Indian 70cc that needed constant attention, mostly the clutch. Both 2 strokes. First new bike was my 79 Yamaha DT 250, also a 2 stroke.

Attachments

• 1967-Harley-Davidson-M65-Sport-Right-Side.jpg
    1967-Harley-Davidson-M65-Sport-Right-Side.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Indian-ME100-Right-Side.jpg
    Indian-ME100-Right-Side.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 18
My first exposure to motorized two-wheeling was a Honda QA50 that the most popular kid in the neighborhood had(go figure!). Fast forward to 1975 and my buddy let me ride his new Honda CB400F around a parking lot one morning. THAT set the HOOK...

Christmas Day 1959 a friend received a new Cushman Super Eagle for Christmas. I rode it and was hooked. First motorcycle purchased a new 1965 Norton Atlas in 1966 off the showroom floor. I had another new Norton, a fastback Commando, in 1971, which was stolen in Florence, Italy later that summer. I have way too many motorcycles but am not ready to part with any of them, except a 1919 Johnson and an early 1950s Simplex, just yet. 3 HDs, 3 Indians, 1932, 1937 & 1946 and 3 Hondas, and some things you have never heard of which may or may not be considered a motorcycle. I am very sympathetic to females who go into their closet crammed with clothes and say they have nothing to wear. I go out to my garage and am surrounded by motorcycles and think I have nothing to ride. For the record, when I am home, all motorcyclists, even BMW riders, are welcome at my house, North of Los Angeles at any time of the day or night, even if only to do laundry, crash and run.

1966 350 Ducati. Single cyl, the single overhead camshaft was shaft driven, really cool design there. Wish I had taken pics of it, (Igofar has some pics of one that he showed me when he hijacked my bike a few years ago). It leaked oil into the ign points, was never able to stop that which made it unreliable and hard to start. Constantly taking the points out, cleaning and reinstalling, gapping them etc
I was in grade 10 (1972) when I got it, and in Gr12 shops class I made some fork extensions for it cuz the chopper craze was on at that time, painted some flames on the tank, put a bigger carb on it. I don’t even remember what happened to it, I think i abandoned it at my parents’ farm when I moved out, likely cuz I was tired of constantly fixing on it and he sold it cuz they both hated me riding it. Then I bought a Suxuki 250cc Mx bike, had big fun on that. Ah, memories….

Last edited:
Christmas Day 1959 a friend received a new Cushman Super Eagle for Christmas. I rode it and was hooked. First motorcycle purchased a new 1965 Norton Atlas in 1966 off the showroom floor. I had another new Norton, a fastback Commando, in 1971, which was stolen in Florence, Italy later that summer. I have way too many motorcycles but am not ready to part with any of them, except a 1919 Johnson and an early 1950s Simplex, just yet. 3 HDs, 3 Indians, 1932, 1937 & 1946 and 3 Hondas, and some things you have never heard of which may or may not be considered a motorcycle. I am very sympathetic to females who go into their closet crammed with clothes and say they have nothing to wear. I go out to my garage and am surrounded by motorcycles and think I have nothing to ride. For the record, when I am home, all motorcyclists, even BMW riders, are welcome at my house, North of Los Angeles at any time of the day or night, even if only to do laundry, crash and run.
You realize of course that I might take you up on that. Hope that it helps I ride a Honda haha

'73 Honda CB350. I bought it used in '85.
Insurance? M/C license? The generator was kaput, not ideal for any lengthy rides.
My first bike to actually:04biker: was a Suzuki GS450L. I bought it new in '87 for $1800.

I had a 72 CL350. The worst of all! Not quite a street bike, not quite a dual purpose bike but you could ride all day, play in the Twisties and even went hill climbing a few times.

I think we all learned to ride on a bicycle, hard time figuring it out, fell down a lot. But, the acid question becomes... as...
Javier Bardem asks Woody Herrelson, if you knew... well, we all know the rest of the question..

Attachments

• 850.JPG
    850.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom