What did you learn to ride on?

A C110 (50cc) Honda. I didn't have license or a camera yet. They only came in Red, White, and Blue.
Internet Photo
1-1612286806933@2x.jpg

I can still remember the Original Thrill, still get it.;)

Well, if we don't count the 50cc mopeds in my youth, I guess it would be a ZZR1100. Amazingly, both the bike and I are still in one piece.

We have pretty thorough education+tests for getting a motorcycle license in Sweden though, so it's not quite comparable to hopping on a liter-bike after taking a MSF course.

A C110 (50cc) Honda. I didn't have license or a camera yet. They only came in Red, White, and Blue.
Internet Photo
1-1612286806933@2x.jpg

I can still remember the Original Thrill, still get it.;)
1965 Black Honda 90. The front shock was not meant for off road riding, but at 11 years old, the canal ditch bank roads offered unlimited riding freedom in the Yakima Valley, Washington.

1973 Honda Z50 that my Dad got for me when I was 7. I'll never forget my first ride, my dad explained the controls then set me off on my own. I did pretty good headed down my front yard, then Imanaged to take a left before the garage, then another left to come back up the road. Just as I'm thinking hey this isn't too hard I took another left into the driveway, bounced off a tree into my mom's car, bounced off of that and I laid the bike down. My dad came rushing over to pick it up off of me and I was shaken up a bit but otherwise fine. I have very fond memories of that bike and time spent with my old man, the vision of him riding the Z50 down the street with his knees sticking way up above the bars still makes me laugh.

A good friend of mine bought a mid 60's Bridgestone 90cc. And of course he encouraged me to ride it.
And within a few days I bought a brand new bight red 1968 Bridgestone 120cc.
Those were the "good old days".

I learned to ride on my bicycle. At first, I just had rides in my location. But when some of my friends started joining me, we decided to have rides for longer distances. I should say, it was a great experience. The average speed was about 18 mph (29 km/h) on flat ground (I've recently read about it, and according to this source https://www.bikertricks.com/average-cycling-speed/, it was a good speed). I should say, it helped me get used to riding and it was pretty easy to sit on a motorcycle later.

Last edited:
I learned on a 1955 Vespa 125. I paid $90.00 and it didn't even run.
I took it all apart, cleaned and replaced some engine parts with the best of my limited knowledge at 16 years old.
Once running I passed the RMV motorcycle license test on it.

Well, if we don't count the 50cc mopeds in my youth, I guess it would be a ZZR1100. Amazingly, both the bike and I are still in one piece.

We have pretty thorough education+tests for getting a motorcycle license in Sweden though, so it's not quite comparable to hopping on a liter-bike after taking a MSF course.
mopeds count. It is all the same wind, I wave to anything with 2 wheels and a motor

I learned on whatever I could get a ride on from friends, mini Hondas for the most part and a sweet Yamaha enduro that took me a week of talking and a bucket of charm to convince the owner to let me try it. My first bike was bought for me by my dad on my 14th birthday (to my everlasting shock), A Kawasaki KX 90 which I was only allowed to ride at the farm ( after my chores were done).

Here is a picture of me with my riding gloves on....lolKawasaki KX90r.png

A friend's 1989 Ninja 900. I was 17 and didn't have a clue what I was doing and it almost killed me... Definitely do not recommend learning that way :rolleyes:

Learned at 12 or 13 on my Dads CZ-175. I used to be watching him starting up and taking off and memorising what to do. Myself and my buddy got it running first, we used to tie the clutch in with a lenght of old washing line - we were terrified in case it took off uncontrolably, to us this was a beast of a machine :). We gradually worked up the courage to ride it around the house and before long we were flat out on the road. Thank God we were never caught or crashed. Owned a few Honda 50s as a 16 year old, followed by a KMX 125, Lambretta LI 150 series II, RD350, VFR 400, GSX600F andof course ST1100.

Back
Top Bottom