What did you learn to ride on?

Don't know the brand, but it was a small bicycle w. training wheels. The first bike I saved up to buy was a Rudge.

Like a lot of others, I started on a lawnmower powered mini bike, then my dad bought a Sears Allstate 105, what a POS! It didn't last long....Then I got a Honda Trail 70, rode that thing into the ground, but it wouldn't die! I blame my love of Honda's on that bike. First street legal bike was a Honda CL-100. I've had Honda's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's, Penton, Ossa, Bultaco, but my favorite is Honda

Some ratty mini bike. Brother in law’s 125 enduro. Don’t remember brand. 125 Harley during the AMF years. First bike I owned, 1979 Kawasaki 400 LTD. Move ahead 30 years. 2007 ST1300. Current 2015 BMW GTL Exclusive. Loving it, so does the better half. She’s getting her license in 2 weeks. Might have another in the garage. YES!!!

First ride was on an early 70's Honda SL70. First owned was a '72 Honda SL100.

Still riding Hondas. I have a CR250R and a CRF450L.

Well it started when I was about 12 with a Keystone minibike like this one below. Although not as clean as this mint model, and with a grafted in Lawson Tecumseh 5 HP motor and centrifugal clutch I bought from Ideal karts and parts that I think was in London Ontario. My dad was very handy and welded in an engine mount etc.

Then when I joined the Toronto Police in 1989 they put me on an 80 cubic inch V-Twin Harley to teach us how to ride. We started with a side car, then moved to two wheels once we mastered the side car. It's been a string of Honda's ever since then. A 1988 Honda NT650 Hawk I owned for four days, then a 1990 VFR750. I managed to keep that one for 3 weeks. Then another 1990 VFR750, I managed to sell that one. Then a gap and about 10 years ago the 2003 ST1300.

1690940940756.png

Something like this 1972 Yamaha R5 350 cc. I bought it, rode it down the road and crashed it in the first traffic circle I came to. Sigh..

1691335959571.png

Well, to this day, I have not ridden a mini-bike, a scooter, or a moped. The first vehicle with an engine and two wheels I ever rode was a CB100, but I was under 18 and could not buy a bike without my parents' consent, which I definitely did not have.

The second time I rode a bike was the day of my 18th birthday. I rode my bicycle to my local Honda dealer, picked out a used CL450 and an orange Bell RT helmet, and the salesman drove me to my bank to take the money out of my savings account.

I then rode illegally down to the DMV and got my bike license. Remember, this was only my second bike ride ever, but I learned enough on the ride down there to pass the test: a wiggle through cones, stop, and make a left turn, after an easy written test.

Not mine, but same colors and stripes.

1677028622354.png
I had a 1969 cl450 , still miss it.

I had a 72 CL 450 and I put 37000 miles on it and I too miss it. Although it had skinny forks that wound up and a swing arm that flexed all over the place. It was mine and I rode the hell out of it. For 2 years it was the biggest bike at high school. Mine was the blue one and I put Jardine headers 2 into one, it sounded awesome.

Back
Top Bottom