What did you learn to ride on?

What did I learn to ride on ?

A Triumph touring model, built with Reynolds 5-3-1 tubing 26" wheels with 4-cross spoking and tubed tyres. Leather Brookes Saddle with 5-speed Camapgonolo gears. About 3/4 horsepower.

Covered many thousands of miles together before I discovered that bikes came with engines as well.

Still got that one? It might be worth some coin, in collector's circles.

First bike was a 2018 Duke 390. Just last year. Zero experience before then. I went to my fathers farm a handful of times and practiced on a Honda 250 dirt bike he had laying around. PITA to kickstart but it got me going. Excited to be on an ST now. Awesome bike.

Attachments

• 20220630_154240.jpg
    20220630_154240.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 11
I bet the Duke was a hoot!
A little hooligan bike, tempting you with trouble.
Definitely, and with a blistering 45hp, it kept me pretty tame. Its light and easy to learn on for sure.
I am much more responsible with the ST's 125hp, haha.

Well, my first street bike was a 1975 CB400F SuperSport, varnish blue. Now in pieces in my garage as I plod slowly, but inexorably, through it's restoration and return to the road. Here's the beginning of the effort at the beginning of the pandemic. Sidetracked when the ST1300 joined the garage.

1677052204072.png

I didn't learn how to ride on it (well maybe street riding I did), but I sure learned how to crash on it! Three times in about 12 months. Nothing too exciting, front end washout on crap tires that only a starving college student would consider 'okay.' Except the last one when I broke my left wrist and learned what an advantage it was to having a roommate working for the local hospital repairing their anesthesia machines. "Here, have I shown you how the nitrous works?" Me, "What broken wrist?"

No. I've still got the scars though.

This particular bike was my mode of transport from about an age of between 13 to 22. I'd ride everywhere and go out with the cycling club for 80-100 mile rides every Sunday, and would ride between 10-40 miles most evenings.

Triumph ? It was a Triumph, but a pushbike. Triumph started life as a cycle company (interesting history), and the Triumph badge continued to be used on the better quality cycles.

But my comment was not entirely flippant. I developed a lot of road sense and learned how other road users behave when out riding, That is definitely what I learned to ride on.

I've always had pushbikes, and there are two in my garage at the moment. Having said that, one is mounted in an intelligent trainer linked to a screen and iPad, and I haven't been on the road with it for a long time. Previously whenever I went out it seems that I had become a target - simply because I was a cyclist. I have become scared.

1975 CZ175 - Eastern European 2-stroke, was not the last word in refinement and build quality but was practically indestructible. Had an innovative feature - the gear shifter was also the kick start. Identical to this one:

6522335439_a9e9868c4e_o.jpg
Yes. Those Eastern European 2 strokes were, as you say, virtually indestructible. I had a MZ 125, 1977, similar to the one below, but in green. It was a great little bike. I owned it for 10 years and it was always kept outside, uncovered. I used to work shifts back then and it rarely let me down. When I think back, I did hardly any maintenance on it, neglected it really, but it just kept on going.

MZ 125.jpeg

Jawa was another one.

Jawa.jpeg

Like above, my whole family started out on a Rupp Roadster, then graduated to a Honda Mini-Trail, ATV90, and then my first road bike, a Bridgestone 100 . Have owned many, many bikes since.

I'm glad @motornut started this thread.
It's cool seeing all the ancient iron (and plastic) that I drooled over, all those many years ago. And many of these older rides, if kept in decent condition, are far more collectible and valuable than, say, used furniture, formal china, silver and crystal glasses that people buy at a premium, and ultimately can't give away.
If anyone wants to give away an older motorbike, large or small, please let me know.
Much rather play with these machines, than with china or crystal.

I have a 1986 Honda Elite 80 scooter I ride about once a month on the streets of my neighborhood. It reminds me of the pure freedom two wheels and motor give me and how it felt to a younger me.

Wish I had grown up with motorcycles like so many of you have. Would have been great to learn on a dirt bike.
For me it was a Yamaha XS1100 Special at age 50. (and the MSF course Rebel 250). They say not to learn on a big bike, but thankfully it went just fine (with the appropriate right wrist control).

Back
Top Bottom