CrazyKZ (Curt Gran) - 6/16/2012

Lots of deer, lousy headlight, and smoke (but don't see a fire) have stopped me for the night in MN. I'm only about an hour out but stopping seems more sensible than pushing through. See folks in the morning.

(Sorry to have missed you, George.)

Thinking of our community of riders in tribute of Curt. Ride with care, stand with strength.

Last edited:
Dace, we'll catch up next time... Be safe. BTW, Perry is asking if your schedule will get ya back to Tucson in time to pass the package,,, they are leaving on the sixth. He is permac27 on this forum... If that's gonna be problem, maybe MotoMac could help?

I sure do like this Pony Express delivery process,,, with all our folks running hither 'n yon, maybe we could start a bidness delivering small packages. :D...

On a more somber note,,, if an opportunity should present itself today, maybe someone could recite Terry's poem at the ceremonies:

Terry (ACL) wrote this some weeks before he passed to commemorate our friend Larry Grannel,,, it has been transcribed into the STOC Tag log book... It was recited at his wake in Casey, IL a year and a half ago and has been passed our the 'net ever since.

"We all know someone,,, Who No Longer Rides With the Wind…
It may be their Decision,,, or it was Death that Brought the Riding to an End…
Because of the Curves you shared,,, or the Sunsets you both took in,,, just take a Moment and Remember that they now Ride only Within…
When you are Standing at the Summit of Montana’s Glacier Park…
Enjoying the Curves of the Blue Ridge Parkway’s Smoky Beauty as the fog rolls into itself…
Or when you smell the Ocean Breeze on Highway # 1 along the California Coast…
Just know where ever you are they Too,,, are Riding Along With the Wind…
Our lives are just as long as a Blink,,, in the Big Cosmic Time-line Thing…
We all can strive that we make a difference in others Lives and that we bring Happiness to them…

So when our time is over,,, and we are not riding anymore…
We all can just hope to be carried along,,, to again,,, Ride along with the Wind..."

-- Terry Hammond,,, aka,,, Austin city limits...

Good morning - getting ready to head over to LaCrosse.

Yes, I should make it back to Tucson by the either Wednesday or Thursday (4th or 5th), even with a detour/stop off at Moki Dugway.

To everyone who was able to make the trip and be there, thank you. I couldn't for reasons I'll go into in another post later today, but Curt and everyone here have been at the front of my mind a lot in the last two weeks. I'll miss him.

--Mark

+1, I was real close to going but I'm transitioning some stuff to another group at work and this is the last weekend I had left to cover it.

Appreciate everyone that can make it and represent the rest of us.

It still hasn't hit me yet that Curt is no longer with us, it's just surreal.

I would also would like to thank those riders and friends that were able to be there for Curt..... I was not able to be there, but my heart was for sure. He was truly a good friend, thanks for the emails Curt and the gift. BOB

I am glad I was able to make the service for Curt today. Here is a pic that I took outside the La Crosse Center where they had a lunch following the service.

There were more bikes parked off the side streets. On the ride from the church to the center the local PD had blocked off all roads where we would have had a stop sign or stop light which made the transition much easier.

attachment.php

I hope someone can post some pictures. To summarize, 40+ bikes left the Super 8 and drove to the church where many other bikes had arrived and continued to arrive. Curt's brother estimated at least a hundred were expected and there had to be far more than that. The service was outstanding and the family speech/story was well done and spot on. After the service, Curt's ashes were carried by the lead bike with all the other bikes next in line in front of the family. What a sight!!!! It was perfect and I am proud to have been in that procession. RIP, Curt. The number of lives you touched was reflected in the huge turnout of your fellow bikers.

Greg Kane

Here are a couple videos that I shot from the ride from the church to the Lunch. These are raw videos so you may want to turn down or mute your volume.

[video=youtube;u676ihtPLNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u676ihtPLNk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;PjeGyXR3sJg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjeGyXR3sJg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

On the way to La Crosse I tagged along with some of the Team Strange riders. Be sure to mute this one. It is raw video as I just pulled it off the camera.

[video=youtube;_iVcw3HtSmo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iVcw3HtSmo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Its great to see so many made it.

With Curt's involvement in so many different clubs and organizations there was a really diverse group of bikes. There was a pretty good turn out from the ST Owners but lots of other people there as well. Think this was the most STs I have seen in one place though.

"
Dace, we'll catch up next time... Be safe. BTW, Perry is asking if your schedule will get ya back to Tucson in time to pass the package,,, they are leaving on the sixth. He is permac27 on this forum... If that's gonna be problem, maybe MotoMac could help?

I sure do like this Pony Express delivery process,,, with all our folks running hither 'n yon, maybe we could start a bidness delivering small packages. :D...

On a more somber note,,, if an opportunity should present itself today, maybe someone could recite Terry's poem at the ceremonies:

Terry (ACL) wrote this some weeks before he passed to commemorate our friend Larry Grannel,,, it has been transcribed into the STOC Tag log book... It was recited at his wake in Casey, IL a year and a half ago and has been passed our the 'net ever since.

"We all know someone,,, Who No Longer Rides With the Wind?
It may be their Decision,,, or it was Death that Brought the Riding to an End?
Because of the Curves you shared,,, or the Sunsets you both took in,,, just take a Moment and Remember that they now Ride only Within?
When you are Standing at the Summit of Montana?s Glacier Park?
Enjoying the Curves of the Blue Ridge Parkway?s Smoky Beauty as the fog rolls into itself?
Or when you smell the Ocean Breeze on Highway # 1 along the California Coast?
Just know where ever you are they Too,,, are Riding Along With the Wind?
Our lives are just as long as a Blink,,, in the Big Cosmic Time-line Thing?
We all can strive that we make a difference in others Lives and that we bring Happiness to them?

So when our time is over,,, and we are not riding anymore?
We all can just hope to be carried along,,, to again,,, Ride along with the Wind..."

Sadly, (but honestly,I have missed this one..and brings tears...AGAIN!) I think it would be a great 2013 Moonshine Shirt!...

"We all know someone,,, Who No Longer Rides With the Wind?
It may be their Decision,,, or it was Death that Brought the Riding to an End?
Because of the Curves you shared,,, or the Sunsets you both took in,,, just take a Moment and Remember that they now Ride only Within?
When you are Standing at the Summit of Montana?s Glacier Park?
Enjoying the Curves of the Blue Ridge Parkway?s Smoky Beauty as the fog rolls into itself?
Or when you smell the Ocean Breeze on Highway # 1 along the California Coast?
Just know where ever you are they Too,,, are Riding Along With the Wind?
Our lives are just as long as a Blink,,, in the Big Cosmic Time-line Thing?
We all can strive that we make a difference in others Lives and that we bring Happiness to them?

So when our time is over,,, and we are not riding anymore?

Last edited:
What an incredible honor to be in the presence of so many great folks today, despite the sad occasion.

The STOC tag was passed off to me this morning by Jim (nhdiesel). I then passed it on to Gary to be carried with Curt's ashes in the procession and shared at the luncheon afterwards. It's now back with me on the way to Moki Dugway before being passed on in Tucson.

Safe travels to all the folks who came out.

I'm sure more photos will be coming in but here are a few I took.

First is the lead rider (Gary Klinker) who carried Curt's ashes and the STOC tags in the procession.

Also a photo of the row of bikes and the display at the luncheon.

Attachments

• 201206301793.jpg
    201206301793.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 317
  • 201206301794.jpg
    201206301794.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 295
  • 201206301796.jpg
    201206301796.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Back