"all bikes lead to a Goldwing"

Hmmm... that could be an issue. My wife who doesn't ride, she does however own the MT-10SP out in my shop, is not a big fan of the Wing's styling. I really like it. I like riding the MT-10SP too.

Hmmm... that could be an issue. My wife who doesn't ride, she does however own the MT-10SP out in my shop, is not a big fan of the Wing's styling. I really like it. I like riding the MT-10SP too.
Did she see this video?

Why would that be?
This BMW rider is not offended in the least, and besides... few things are cooler to me, than chicks on bikes.
Color me obtuse -- I don't get it.
Just poking the monkey- read up several post and you might get it, seems we have some Goldwing antagonists in the crowd ( which can be fun to observe) .
It does bring back fond memories of some of the great pot stirrers from years past when I first joined this group :potstir1:

Oh NO! A '24 6 speed just showed up for sale somewhat local with 2000 miles on it. I feel a strong obligation to check it out! I have nothing against the DCT, I just think with the 6 speed I could adjust to 1 big change at a time.
I hate you guys for this. Wait......you don't expect me to take responsibility for my own decisions do you?

I hate you guys for this. Wait......you don't expect me to take responsibility for my own decisions do you?

Look at the 6 speed and watch the key fob swing slowly back and forth. You're getting sleepy, very sleepy and before you know you're hypnotized, and the bike is in your driveway. Happens frequently with Gold Wings. Good luck.

Oh NO! A '24 6 speed just showed up for sale somewhat local with 2000 miles on it. I feel a strong obligation to check it out! I have nothing against the DCT, I just think with the 6 speed I could adjust to 1 big change at a time.
What I’m hearing is Oh Yes!

Take the wife when you look, then it's her decision. Then you are completely absolved. That's how it worked for Dave and me.

..and me. She even picked the airbag model over the non airbag. We looked at 2 Beemers (K1600GTL & RT1250) before we bought the Wing and she said "get them if you want, but I'll never ride on it."

It was June 2008. I had just purchased my ST a week earlier. I was filling my fuel tank for the first time on my 2007 ST 1300 when an old, weathered man riding an old, weathered Goldwing 1500 pulled up beside me. We started talking about bikes, riding and travelling. I mentioned that I had just returned to riding after a long break, and I was excited to see the U.S. and Canada. He told me it looked like I had a worthy steed for my plans and then threw in "all bikes lead to a Goldwing". I laughed and told him that I wasn't sure about that. I guess the old guy was smarter than I gave him credit for being at the time.

This bike wasn't even on my radar three weeks ago. I was still in the Veruca Salt mindset of "I want an RS and I want it now". The fact that there are no BMW dealers in my state kept wearing on me. I don't want to be 3.5 hours from a dealer and I don't want to trailer a new bike home. I kept asking myself "what do you want?"

I already have the Versys 650. That will fill the fun in the twisties urges and I can travel on it for shorter distances.......so all of those boxes are checked.

I wanted the following:
Simple
Reliable
Comfortable (must have cruise control)
No drama (borderline boring)
Local
Relatively inexpensive

The answer I came up with.......no, it can't be.......over and over again........hell no, it can't be...........I'm not that old.........it checks all of the boxes...........damn, that old man was right.

A 2024 Goldwing (ouch, it hurts just to say it)..........I'm at least getting the "sportier" version without the lounge chair on back.

Meet Kermit, the green Goblin
IMG_2242-XL.jpg

Yes, I actually did it.
Mike
Yep, rode every manfacturer's bike since I was nine, now I'm on my third Wing!!!

Attachments

• 14 pic w me.jpg
    14 pic w me.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 14
Just got back from MnSTOC and the bike's first journey. I rode 2012 miles for the entire trip without issue. The seat was fine for 400-mile days. I didn't do anything longer, but I think I could. That's better than some of the bikes I've owned. The Alaskan Sheepskin helped some. Fuel mileage was upper 30s to lower 40s on the interstate, better on the twisty roads. Without a headwind, I could ride 200 miles on a tank which is plenty for me.

My thoughts so far.

Touring: It is the best bike I've owned for that purpose. It is easy to get along with and very comfortable and stable. I had no issues with crosswind or buffeting around trucks. This result was expected, and I'd be really let down if the bike failed at touring.

Twisty roads: The bike likes sweepers much better than the tight stuff. This is an obvious point since the bike has a long wheelbase and weighs 800 lbs. After playing around with modes and settings, I'd rather have a manual clutch for the twistier roads. I don't think I will ever be as comfortable with a DCT in the tight stuff. That's not a problem because I am not on real tight roads too often. I did not choose a Goldwing for tossing the bike around tight roads like a sport bike.

Sport-touring bike: No. The GW is a touring bike. It handles well for an 800 lb bike but I certainly would not consider this a sport-touring platform like many others. It is lighter and more nimble than the pre-2018 versions, but IMHO, it just made it a lighter touring bike. To each their own.

All in all, I really like the bike and it fills the niche very well.
Mike

Just got back from MnSTOC and the bike's first journey. I rode 2012 miles for the entire trip without issue. The seat was fine for 400-mile days. I didn't do anything longer, but I think I could. That's better than some of the bikes I've owned. The Alaskan Sheepskin helped some. Fuel mileage was upper 30s to lower 40s on the interstate, better on the twisty roads. Without a headwind, I could ride 200 miles on a tank which is plenty for me.

My thoughts so far.

Touring: It is the best bike I've owned for that purpose. It is easy to get along with and very comfortable and stable. I had no issues with crosswind or buffeting around trucks. This result was expected, and I'd be really let down if the bike failed at touring.

Twisty roads: The bike likes sweepers much better than the tight stuff. This is an obvious point since the bike has a long wheelbase and weighs 800 lbs. After playing around with modes and settings, I'd rather have a manual clutch for the twistier roads. I don't think I will ever be as comfortable with a DCT in the tight stuff. That's not a problem because I am not on real tight roads too often. I did not choose a Goldwing for tossing the bike around tight roads like a sport bike.

Sport-touring bike: No. The GW is a touring bike. It handles well for an 800 lb bike but I certainly would not consider this a sport-touring platform like many others. It is lighter and more nimble than the pre-2018 versions, but IMHO, it just made it a lighter touring bike. To each their own.

All in all, I really like the bike and it fills the niche very well.
Mike

I too was at MnSTOC and followed and had Mike follow me. His riding ability on that ground sloth was nothing to wish he stayed home. He filled my mirrors and did not hold me or the group up. The bike he chose sure appeared to fit him and the roads he was on WELL.

I have heard many times - If you ride one, you will own one. Well, I have resisted riding one. Been offered rides many times. I can only say, those that have ridden, well, own one. Not all, but many have.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I opted to do a Traxxion suspension upgrade, which significantly improved solo handling (at the expense of perhaps being a little firmer, but more compliant) and a huge difference in passenger comfort, which was the original goal. It wasn't cheap, but to me well worth it. You notice the weight and lack of agility of some of the "real" tight roads like you find in the Smokies that twist back over on themselves almost immediately from turn to turn, tighter than something like the Dragon, but otherwise it's a lot of fun in everyday sport riding.

I've owned both a ST1100, and ST1300 and ridden the FJR's and many BMW RTs. After owning my 2018 GW for a while I was wondering if I should have gone for a R1250RT instead for its handling, but the Traxxion suspension banished that thought as I now get all the expected benes from owning a GW and handling too.

I went for a very spirited 3-day small group sport touring run in upstate VT and eastern NY with a ride leader that knew all the twisty roads. The other bikes included a Ducati Multistrada, Connie 1400, K1600GT and R1250GS. The only time I have ridden as fast all day was during track days. The GW had no problem keeping pace. It can certainly sport tour if you want.

Agreed, and the suspension upgrade WILL transform most bikes, if done properly.

As we know, all bikes are reduced to a series of compromises, and built to a price point.

All the money and status spent on exhausts, engine mods and farkles could be better spent on upgrading the suspenders -- in my opinion.

At the very least, as apples to the Honda ST1300 and the GoldWing.

Then again, I recognize that many riders don't ride such that upgrading will make a difference in day-to-day riding. (But neither do the exhausts, and other "performance" mod.

Yes, you're quite correct.

I am opinionated.

Back
Top Bottom