"all bikes lead to a Goldwing"

The two or three bike solution works for me :biggrin:

Me too, although at 1300 and 1250cc's, they have a lot in common.

More in common than their differences, I suppose, but I like them both.

Safe to say, on either one, I'm not lacking for get up and GO!

However, reading this thread has significantly dampened my enthusiasm for the newer 1800. I would'na ever thought that, even though I had halfway come to terms with this GSA essentially being my GoldWing substitute, and I'm OK if that proves true.

However, reading this thread has significantly dampened my enthusiasm for the newer 1800.

I'd daresay that the points listed I'd wish they'd improve don't really detract from all the good things about the Wing I didn't mention.
In many ways it's no different in all the things I wish they had on the ST from the factory that, over the years, other folks came up with.
The "new" Wing is only 6 years old. That's not a lot of time for folks to start making add-ons that are not just cosmetic style bling.
Even with all the things I'd change if I could, it's just to make a really great bike even better.

Now, if they'd bring back the 1300 with new features and whatnot, I'd be on it - but the sport touring genre of bikes (that the ST fit into) is all but dead, and I'm just not an adventure bike, cruiser or sport bike type of guy.

I'd daresay that the points listed I'd wish they'd improve don't really detract from all the good things about the Wing I didn't mention.
In many ways it's no different in all the things I wish they had on the ST from the factory that, over the years, other folks came up with.
The "new" Wing is only 6 years old. That's not a lot of time for folks to start making add-ons that are not just cosmetic style bling.
Even with all the things I'd change if I could, it's just to make a really great bike even better.

Now, if they'd bring back the 1300 with new features and whatnot, I'd be on it - but the sport touring genre of bikes (that the ST fit into) is all but dead, and I'm just not an adventure bike, cruiser or sport bike type of guy.
There’s a lot to like with the 6th gen Wing. Probably much the same with practically any bike and all have some things to get used to or accept. Nothing is perfect. I tend to the fanboy side of things being generally an optimist.

Reactions: Obo
I hope I didn't come off too negative in my assessment. I'd say for touring, the Goldwing is among the best available. You can sense the refinement that's been made to this bike in it's almost 50 years of production. The motor, transmission and ergonomics are hard to beat for long days in the saddle. I like its long wheelbase and its large size that gives this bike a presence when on the road. It also has a real horn that has been used on occasion. Back-lit switches are also a nice touch that I didn't mention previously. It is a really good bike, that's why Honda has sold so many over the years.
Mike

Likewise, I am not disparaging a bike I've no saddle time on, but I will admit to being surprised at the early touch down point.

I've watched them in police rodeos, etc, for years, and of course I'm familiar with Yellow Wolf and his long- standing end to end record on the Dragon.

Is it perhaps the earlier 1800s didn't touch down so readily? Did they have slightly more ground clearance?

It certainly is fun to lean over on the 1250 GSA and my ST1300. Dragging pegs on either (which I've not done on the GSA) tells me I've I've got some lean angle going on, and now is not the time to roll off the throttle or start braking.

Looking at the new Wing, if you drag a peg, you've got some serious angle going on too for this bike. From what I've read you can get 40-50 degrees.

1726015477576.png

Might not look like much in this photo, but it's more than enough to lie down for a nap if you don't play your cards right!

Visually looking at the bike, it's a good measurable distance to touch a peg, but not much more after that to start wearing away the plastic cover on the front tip over bar. It's only a pucker from that to catching the actual bar and low siding.

The Wing's pegs may also be lower and wider than the 1300, but I'll have to compare and verify that before I can say with 100% certainty!

Back
Top Bottom