"all bikes lead to a Goldwing"

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
It was June 2008. I had just purchased my ST a week earlier. I was filling my fuel tank for the first time on my 2007 ST 1300 when an old, weathered man riding an old, weathered Goldwing 1500 pulled up beside me. We started talking about bikes, riding and travelling. I mentioned that I had just returned to riding after a long break, and I was excited to see the U.S. and Canada. He told me it looked like I had a worthy steed for my plans and then threw in "all bikes lead to a Goldwing". I laughed and told him that I wasn't sure about that. I guess the old guy was smarter than I gave him credit for being at the time.

This bike wasn't even on my radar three weeks ago. I was still in the Veruca Salt mindset of "I want an RS and I want it now". The fact that there are no BMW dealers in my state kept wearing on me. I don't want to be 3.5 hours from a dealer and I don't want to trailer a new bike home. I kept asking myself "what do you want?"

I already have the Versys 650. That will fill the fun in the twisties urges and I can travel on it for shorter distances.......so all of those boxes are checked.

I wanted the following:
Simple
Reliable
Comfortable (must have cruise control)
No drama (borderline boring)
Local
Relatively inexpensive

The answer I came up with.......no, it can't be.......over and over again........hell no, it can't be...........I'm not that old.........it checks all of the boxes...........damn, that old man was right.

A 2024 Goldwing (ouch, it hurts just to say it)..........I'm at least getting the "sportier" version without the lounge chair on back.

Meet Kermit, the green Goblin
IMG_2242-XL.jpg

Yes, I actually did it.
Mike

Again, MUST…STOP…LOOKING…AT…NEW…BIKES…
That matte green color is very nice. I really do like that. I think if I were to buy a Goldwing, I would probably get the non tour DCT package as you did and then set it up for a top box like a GiVi. I’ve seen Goldwings set up that way and they actually look quite nice.

I wonder if that old man is still riding. He very likely is riding a mega scooter now! I know lots of GW riders that graduated to a ride like mine. :biggrin:

Though that green machine is a really nice one. I was considering that model several years ago, but the same color as Scott's. :thumb:

Wonderful bike, and it looks great too!

I'm just not figuring out how it meets criteria #6. Relative to what, exactly?

Is that your dealership in the background?:biggrin:

Wonderful bike, and it looks great too!

I'm just not figuring out how it meets criteria #6. Relative to what, exactly?

Is that your dealership in the background?:biggrin:
Relative to BMWs
Mike

Congrats on the new wing. You are going to love it. Had mine less than a month, 24 DCT Tour and it’s been great. Didn’t expect to get one either but somehow I did.

Congrats Mike! I have been looking myself. Before Covid they were giving the Goldwings away. I wish I would have bought one then. Not sure what I am going to end up with. But I have the itch.

Back
Top Bottom