What did you do to / ride to with your Beemer today?

That looks very good, Joe.
I got reflectors on each corner of the GSA panniers, but they're getting a little "scruffy" and in need of replacement. Also looking for some reflectors / decals for a new set of black Trekker Outbacks that I got for the XR. Decisions, decisions.

That looks very good, Joe.
I got reflectors on each corner of the GSA panniers, but they're getting a little "scruffy" and in need of replacement. Also looking for some reflectors / decals for a new set of black Trekker Outbacks that I got for the XR. Decisions, decisions.
Since your bike has a red/white/blue theme ... I'd go with some r/w/b prisim tape. That actually pops better than the black that reflects white-ish.

:biggrin:
Maybe we should start a thread What Did You Do With Your Honda Lawn Mower Today?

I thought I keep my lawn equipment clean but I can't carry your water Joe.

Maybe we should start a thread What Did You Do With Your Honda Lawn Mower Today?

Lol, my lawn is the size of my garage so it doesn't get very dirty.

Does grass even grow in the Texas heat???
:oops:

As for me, I got new tires mounted for my RT! And some new rear brake hoses should arrive Friday.

Does grass even grow in the Texas heat???
:oops:

As for me, I got new tires mounted for my RT! And some new rear brake hoses should arrive Friday.
A sprinkler system helps, kicks off at 2AM twice a week It just barely keeps up, you can tell who doesn't have one.

We actually had some storms overnight but only dropped to about 20 mi k es north.

Added some Machineartmoto fender extensions.

These are made very well and don't use tape, they have grooves that slide up into the oem fender and then a slot that the end of the oem fender slides into. Then, 2 screws and metal backing that grab those grooves, very well done. Adds an additional 6 inches of fender.

IMG_20230810_120851.jpg

IMG_20230810_120914.jpg

Am I the only one who did not see a lawn mower... until I read Dave's post?
And I thought *I* was the best ST thread hijacker.
Meanwhile, staying in my lane... the reflective decals look good, Joe. Streetbikes, especially sport-tourers, allow more options for such visibility aids than do equivalent ADV bikes.

Am I the only one who did not see a lawn mower... until I read Dave's post?
And I thought *I* was the best ST thread hijacker.
Meanwhile, staying in my lane... the reflective decals look good, Joe. Streetbikes, especially sport-tourers, allow more options for such visibility aids than do equivalent ADV bikes.
Oh, there are many possibilities.

068.jpgBig Bend 11-2014_5085-L.jpgIMG_20160705_204305.jpgIMG_20201204_124526.jpg

Today, I rode the RT along a portion of my Friday WoodSToc route. A pleasurable experience! I noticed that there was a crew doing some minor repair work on the covered bridge, getting it in tip top shape for our event!

Highway 49 west of Downieville. Yesterday, actually.
Hwy 49.jpg
Downieville is a huge mountain biking destination, and it has been a bunch of years since I last went mountain biking there, but last time I did, they had a gas station. They no longer do, which sort of threw a wrench in my plans to not stop too early, but also not run out.

Luckily I decided to bring along my homemade aux fuel setup.
52758018956_6068cc93fb_c.jpg

I'm not positive I'd have run out prior to the next stop, but I also didn't want to run out on a narrow twisty road so I pulled over and filled up what I had on hand.

View west of Sierra City at the Sierra Pines Resort.
Hwy 49 2.jpg

Sierra Pines Resort and the trout pond (if you're into that sort of thing.) Stayed there a few times and it's nice.

Hwy 49 3.jpg

Last edited:
New tires mounted, wheels back on bike.Rear brake hoses arrived, got them on Saturday. She helped me bleed brake....but no go. Took a short ride to make sure front was all good...it was.
Took rear caliper back off, took apart and will order new seals for it. Hopefully won't have to order a piston rebuild kit.
But.......very nice to have parts available for a 42 year old bike!!!

I took the long way home from Donner Lake yesterday and checked out Highway 20. My wife drove the car and dogs straight down I-80, left 20-30 minutes before me and only got home a short time before me due to Sac-area traffic. I'd have done more backroads, but we left late, and time. I also did 80+ when I could, so I'm sure that helped. I know it's 15+ years old, but I'm really digging the GS.

Have I mentioned how much I like riding California? Sorry, stealing from another member. The scenery is unbelievable.

53133780775_11128147be_c.jpg

53133376336_7a66f47275_c.jpg

Not to start a dog thread, but Anki likes the mountains even without snow. She was found roaming the mean-streets of Oakland, but she's as sweet as pie as long as you're not a squirrel or other critter.
53132775432_895e97538e_c.jpg

Decided to flush the brake fluid on the RT - it's been over 2 years since new.

It was all clear with just a hint of 'stuff' in the front reservoir but just barely.

It's so nice when there's just one bleeder per caliper and you can do it in less than 15 mins.

Last edited:
Does BMW offer a brushed or satin SS option that doesn't take much to look good for the next 300.000 miles?
No, just aftermarket options. The chrome appears to be as good as Honda from what I can tell. I found a good deal on a used akra exhaust for a 1200 that fits.

After some time now fighting an irritating leak on the front tire of my wife's F700GS I finally dug in to it. This leak was so small but just a PIA. My wife's bike has TPMS and every time she rides it the sensor on the dash goes off. I check with a pressure gauge I have confidence in and the pressure is good. So I am thinking bad sensor. But there was a leak it took weeks for the pressure to drop but it did. I did the whole spray bottle and soap but never could find the leak. This last weekend we did a 700 mile trip and it dropped 8 pounds according to my selected pressure gauge. the sensor showed several pounds less.

So yesterday I dug in to this leak. Again the soap test on the bike, nothing. The only thing I have that would be big enough to hold water and put the wheel in was my wheelbarrow. So off comes the wheel and into the wheelbarrow. went round and round a few times and found nothing. set the wheel aside and had a cup of coffee. Came out and found some residual soap on the bead by the valve stem. I mean these were hardly bubbles, they looked like foaming bubbles in a row on the bead line. Back to the wheelbarrow. Yep there it is the bubbles, they were so small I could barley see them.

Long story short got to he tools pulled off the tire and what I found I guess didn't surprise me to much. Her wheel has a coating inside and out, maybe powder coating, I don't know. It was all flakey on the bead lock, enough so that I had to use a wire brush on my angle grinder to clean up the rim all the way around both sides.

Tire is back on and holding pressure I will check daily for a few just to make sure it is good.

Decided to flush the brake fluid on the RT - it's been over 2 years since new.

It was all clear with just a hint of 'stuff' in the front reservoir but just barely.

It's so nice when there's just one bleeder per caliper and you can do it in less than 15 mins.
It has to be the engine's intense heat transferred to brake fluid that causes the ST1300 to be so hard on clutch and brake fluids.
No, just aftermarket options. The chrome appears to be as good as Honda from what I can tell. I found a good deal on a used akra exhaust for a 1200 that fits.
I meant that a bright finish shows a ride in the rain while satin doesn’t show it as much.

Back
Top Bottom