ST 1100 Rear Shock Absorber Replacement - Honda OEM part no longer available

What has happened to ST1100 shocks in the past couple of months?

My 92 has an old Progressive shock on the rear that I feel is worn out.
I was looking for replacements today and it appears as though the Honda OEM shock and Progressive 465 are no longer available as they do not appear in stock anywhere that I can find.

Larry sent a link above, and I bought one back in February or so, and I bought it through Amazon.

Hello Folks:

RaceTech sent me a quote today for rebuilding an OEM Honda ST 1100 shock absorber. The quote totalled $291, which is about 60% of the cost of a new OEM shock absorber.

Once I add on the cost of shipping the old shock absorber there and back again, the total will be about 75% of the cost of buying (& one-way shipping) a new shock. For that reason, I think I will buy a new shock, rather than buy Ashley's old shock and have it rebuilt.

Michael

RaceTech Quote for ST1100 Shock Absorber Overhaul

Hey Michael, just noticed this thread and Im not sure if you have done anything as far as grabbing a New shock, but I thought Id let you know about Mission Cycle in Angus, Ontario. They are a racetech authorized dealer. It might be more in your price range, if only for the shipping costs. I had my shock rebuilt, revalved and a new heavier spring by them last year. Just to rebuild and revalve was about $350 CAD plus shipping. With Angus only about 1 hour away, you may find a savings by driving on up and dropping it off. Keep in mind that would include a racetech gold valve, tailored to your weight and riding style. I would think that would be an improvement over a factory shock

Hi Brent:

That sounds like a great solution... the only problem is that my ST 1100 is in Europe (I keep the ST 1300 here in Canada). But, I might fly the 1100 back here at the end of the summer - it needs some heavy maintenance. If I do that, then for sure I'll follow your suggestion.

Thanks a lot for thinking of me,

Mcihael

Just got off the phone with Progressive and they refuse to add RAP to the 465 for the ST1100. I could easily and safely route the adjuster knob into the under seat storage (tool kit) compartment if supplied with 24" of hydraulic line. The sales rep was short and dismissive, said "It's not that simple, its a marketing thing. Can I help you move forward with the regular 465?" - No thank you, sir.

I'm leaning towards the Hyperpro SB-HO11-0AB-A from EPM Performance for mine. At $569 it is about halfway between a rebuild and an Ohlins. EPM throws in a certificate to cover the first rebuild for free.

SaulB said:
"It's not that simple, its a marketing thing..."
I hate when people lie to me and try insult me while doing so. It sounds like it is that simple – 'it's a marketing thing'.

'Yes we could sell you what you want so you can upgrade what you have but then we couldn't sell you a new shock that you don't really need or want. How would we make our money? Getting you as a repeat customer? That's crazy talk.'

master-thespian-jon-lovitz.jpg

Marketing!

Well... I finally got around to buying a new shock absorber.

I was riding in the east of England in a region called Norfolk, where David Silver Spares is located, so I dropped in on the off chance that they might have one in stock. They had one OEM shock left in stock - I bought it. ₤295 plus about ₤65 tax for a total of ₤360 (USD $450) for an OEM specification Showa shock absorber. I also had the opportunity to meet Mr. David Silver in person, he is a very gracious individual and he invited me to tour his museum as his guest (more about that in a post to come later).

I didn't want to carry the shock around with me strapped to the back seat of the moto, so, a few hours later, I installed in in the parking lot of the hotel I am staying at tonight. It was a very simple job, took 20 minutes, all I needed was a JIS screwdriver to get the side Tupperware panel off, and a 12 mm and 14 mm wrench to remove the shock absorber. Also a bit of Honda Moly Paste to lubricate the holes where the bolts go at the top and bottom of the shock absorber.

For anyone who needs to do this job in the future, I suggest you order a new top bolt at the same time you order the new shock absorber. The shock swivels ever so slightly (maybe about 15° of rotation) about the bolt, and as you can see from the picture below, all the chrome plating had worn off one half of the surface of my bolt. The repair manual specifies that Moly Paste be applied to the upper and lower bolt, and I did do that 10 years ago when I last changed the shock, but the paste had pretty much dried up since then.

The photos below tell the rest of the story.

Michael

Not much disassembly is required

Only two bolts, one at the top, one at the bottom. The torque specifications are quite low.

The top bolt was badly worn, I should have bought a new one. The bottom bolt was OK.

Michael, if you visit, I have some inner tube that can be slid over the shock to protect it against dirt.
I am so ashamed - your bike is far too clean to have so much mileage on it.....
Put me right someone - didn't the police version have a special lower bolt with a grease nipple, 'cos they (spray) cleaned the bikes so much the bolt corroded and seized?

And most importantly....how does the bike feel now?
Significantly different. It doesn't "bounce" when going over bumps in the road, and it is more comfortable to ride (I rode 200 miles today). I think that the shock absorber part of the old shock was not working at all - only the spring was working.

It's hard to describe, but it seems like the rear end of the motorcycle is more 'damped' than it was with the old shock absorber. Less movement transmitted to the seat & rider.

All in all, worth the price of the part (which was not cheap).

Michael

I can remember when I replaced my original OEM with a Progressive 465 shock. Pogo stick shock to one with proper dampening. I have no idea how a spring wears long term, I assume it's always the dampening that goes bad and needs to be remediated.

Back
Top Bottom