ST 1100 Rear Shock Absorber Replacement - Honda OEM part no longer available

Just thought I would mention Partzilla has the stock non abs shock on sale for really reasonable. (Can I say an amount?) 37% off.

I’m on my fourth OEM shock. They work fine for me and my riding. My good dealer gives me a good-customer discount so I give them my business.

John

I’m on my fourth OEM shock. They work fine for me and my riding. My good dealer gives me a good-customer discount so I give them my business.

John

Hi John,

I replaced mine on my previous '95 at 132,000 km, with another OEM too. Wondering what kind of miles you have replaced yours at and did you notice a big difference? I noticed the back end was wallowing in bumpy curves and the new shock corrected that. My '96 has 114,000 km on now and the original OEM shock still works in those situations.

I'm hearing a "rattle" from the shock area over rough roads. I'm guessing I'll be joining the rebuild club soon. I have a lowered Works shock.

Hi John,
.... Wondering what kind of miles you have replaced yours at and did you notice a big difference? ....
Hi Forest. Bent the damper rod (and the front rim) on road debris at 45K. Blew the seal on another at ~160K. The other one seemed sacked out at ~105K (damper not working well). I’m at 190K now. I’m not a Ricky Racer; I ride 8 tenths at the most when I can get to twisties (~4 tenths of what the ST’s capable of).
John

Looks like RaceTech can rebuild, re-valve, and install the correct rate spring for a Showa "non-rebuildable" rear shock.
Hi Jim:

Thanks for that information. I have written RaceTech to inquire about this. If the total cost involved (buying Ashley's shock, shipping it to RaceTech, RaceTech's rebuild, etc.) is reasonable, then I'll buy Ashley's used shock and get it rebuilt.

Michael

Hello Folks:

RaceTech sent me a quote today for rebuilding an OEM Honda ST 1100 shock absorber. The quote totalled $291, which is about 60% of the cost of a new OEM shock absorber.

Once I add on the cost of shipping the old shock absorber there and back again, the total will be about 75% of the cost of buying (& one-way shipping) a new shock. For that reason, I think I will buy a new shock, rather than buy Ashley's old shock and have it rebuilt.

Michael

RaceTech Quote for ST1100 Shock Absorber Overhaul

Hello Folks:

RaceTech sent me a quote today for rebuilding an OEM Honda ST 1100 shock absorber. The quote totalled $291, which is about 60% of the cost of a new OEM shock absorber.

Once I add on the cost of shipping the old shock absorber there and back again, the total will be about 75% of the cost of buying (& one-way shipping) a new shock. For that reason, I think I will buy a new shock, rather than buy Ashley's old shock and have it rebuilt.

Michael

RaceTech Quote for ST1100 Shock Absorber Overhaul
Re. TECHMAN, check out partzilla they were on sale at a massive discount. Although you probably already have. Never got to read the end of your trip, hope it ended well.
Upt'North.

I've got a rear shock off of a 2000 ST1100 that has around 35,000 miles on it. I replaced it with a lowered Works a few years ago. Since I internally lowered the front to match there is no going back. If you are interested, let me know via PM. No reasonable offer refused!

The thing about having RaceTech rebuild an OEM shock is that the result will definitely be better than a new OEM and probably better than a Progressive shock.

Last edited:
What has happened to ST1100 shocks in the past couple of months?

My 92 has an old Progressive shock on the rear that I feel is worn out.
I was looking for replacements today and it appears as though the Honda OEM shock and Progressive 465 are no longer available as they do not appear in stock anywhere that I can find.

Back
Top Bottom