ST 1100 Rear Shock Absorber Replacement - Honda OEM part no longer available

My '01 ST1100 has a Progressing shock/spring on the rear (bought the bike with it already in) and I really like it, and I weigh around 235 lbs. I did raise the rear about 1/2" because I weigh more than the previous owner, and the adjustment vastly improved the steering and cornering of the bike.

I agree that Hagon shocks/springs are good pieces. I put a pair on my '96 Nighthawk 750ST (I rebuilt the forks myself - oil 1/4" higher than spec) and the bike handles the twisties really well, even with the extra weight of the fairing and luggage:

That is a very well sorted 750. I had one of those in the past. Nice and cheap. Mine was a 92 I think. It’s what got traded for the ST.

I have the old Progressive Suspension (435?) on my '93. Called to see about having it rebuilt. "Oh, we can't get parts to rebuild that one, but we'll sell you a new, rebuildable shock". When asked about a discount for having one of their no-longer rebuildable shocks, non was offered.

I won't buy another PS shock.

So my '03 ST1100 has a Hagon shock w/remote preload adjuster on it now!

I note that Uncle Phil has recommended the Works shock absorber in the past, but it appears that this company is no longer in business.

Michael
Hi Michael:

While it is true that Works Shocks is no longer in business the original owner's daughter has restarted the business under the name of Worx Shocks. From what I have read it is essentially the same business using the same technologies as her Father did. On their website they also list "full line service and repair for many OEM rear shocks"- see here- Shocks Repair and Services.
If a rebuild is a route that you would like to pursue it sounds like they are still available to do so.

Sigh that's not good news. Upt North how may miles did you have on your bike before you had to replace your rear shock.
:(

Sigh that's not good news. Upt North how may miles did you have on your bike before you had to replace your rear shock.
:(
OEM for the non ABS 1100 are still available in North America.
At 50,000 it was bit like trying to ride a pogo stick down the grand canyon footpath. Don't know if it was just the miles that killed it or a long three week ride to Portugal and back fully loaded, either way it was bosted.
Bush, I don't know what Silvers has in now but when i bought mine it was an ABS, I'm trying to think what colour spring, I think I changed blue to black. Either way it performs well.
Upt'North.

I would recommend the Ohlins rear shock.
It might be a bit pricey but it is a very good fitment to the ST1100.

I can't seem to find a part number?
Are you trying to say that Ohlins no longer makes a rear shock for the ST1100?
If so, simply state that.
I had one on my ST1100 and it worked a charm.

Are you trying to say that Ohlins no longer makes a rear shock for the ST1100?
If so, simply state that.
I had one on my ST1100 and it worked a charm.
No... that's why I didn't say that.
Just that a quick web search including the Ohlins site, due to the mentions here, came up empty.

If you go to the Ohlins website and use their fitment app, the ST1100/1300 aren't listed under the Honda model pulldown. Dunno if that means they don't make anything to fit the STs, but that's one way to interpret it.

No... that's why I didn't say that.
Just that a quick web search including the Ohlins site, due to the mentions here, came up empty.
In France the number that they reference for an Ohlins ST1100 rear shock is Ohlins HO 0111 MK7 (S46PR1C1). It comes up written differently on different sites but it might give you a starting point.

What else could that imply ?
It may be by coincidence that one of the other Honda models have similar mounting dimensions, so that part could theoretically be used on an ST even though they don't list the ST as a specific application because its a discontinued model. Dunno, but I wouldn't rule it out completely just because its not officially listed.

I'd do that if I was looking for one, but I'm not. I was simply pointing out that using their website wouldn't provide you with a part number. calling them would be the obvious next step.

Back
Top Bottom