ST 1100 Rear Shock Absorber Replacement - Honda OEM part no longer available

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
Hello All:

I need to replace the rear shock absorber on my 2001 ST 1100 ABS, but the OEM Honda (Showa) shock absorber PN 52400-MAJ-G41 is no longer available.

I am thinking about getting the Progressive Suspension 465 Series shock absorber.

Do any forum members have experience with this shock absorber, or any strongly favourable recommendations for a different aftermarket shock absorber? I note that Uncle Phil has recommended the Works shock absorber in the past, but it appears that this company is no longer in business.

Michael

I have a Progressive shock on my St1100. Works fine - no complaints. I think I have a low miles (14K) St1100 OEM shock around somewhere. If you are interested I could try and find it.

This is what appears on the US division of DSS website.

Part No
52400MAJG41
52400-MAJ-G41

Price
$425.10
Approx
AU$ 595.14 | CA$ 561.13
¥ 47109.58
Quantity

Stock
7 in stock at UK Warehouse. Usually ships within 6 days

Most likely it is not available from the factory. If you order it most likely you would receive notice in a few days that the shock is no longer available. Many parts that are listed as still available at some sites have not been updated until someone tries to order one.

Most likely it is not available from the factory. If you order it most likely you would receive notice in a few days that the shock is no longer available. Many parts that are listed as still available at some sites have not been updated until someone tries to order one.

Possibly, but the website says 7 in stock in the UK, which makes sense that they might have some because Honda sold a lot more ST's over there than here.

I appreciate the info provided about David Silver Spares having the OEM shock in stock.

I wonder, though, if the OEM shock absorbers at David Silver Spares - assuming they have what they say is in stock - are "NOS" (new old stock). That certainly would not concern me if the part was a metal or plastic part, but I wonder if a shock absorber, being a fluid-filled object with various seals on it, is a perishable object like a tire or certain rubber seals.

Michael

One of the challenges of assessing a new OEM shock vs. an aftermarket one is that the old OEM one is spent and any replacement is bound to be better. Is a new OEM shock or an aftermarket product better? Really hard to tell as anything other than the old OEM pogo stick is an improvement .

I elected to go Progressive 465 as the range of preload options and dampening seemed to be better than OEM. I set mine at #4 dampening and about 1.25" sag/preload and with Progressive springs in the forks and a higher weight fork oil, has significantly improved handling.

I appreciate the info provided about David Silver Spares having the OEM shock in stock.

I wonder, though, if the OEM shock absorbers at David Silver Spares - assuming they have what they say is in stock - are "NOS" (new old stock). That certainly would not concern me if the part was a metal or plastic part, but I wonder if a shock absorber, being a fluid-filled object with various seals on it, is a perishable object like a tire or certain rubber seals.

Michael
I think that's a valid concern, although I'd think there's no chance they've been sitting on the shelf since 2002 or whenever the last ST1100 was built. Given the low demand for ST parts it may be possible that its been sitting on the shelf for a few years though, I'd ask them about that and see what they say.

I have the Progressive 465 shock on my 1100. As has been stated above, it replaced a worn out stock shock, but the transformation was like night and day. I have done about 30,000km and have it set of 3/5 rebound which feels like enough. My only gripe is there is more play in the spherical bearings that I was expecting, I replaced one but it too got loose quite quickly, so I suspect they are not the finest quality. Having said that, I don't think it has had any adverse effect either.

Presently running a std, a Progressive and a Worx shock. Like the Worx shock, but not much in it. Looking at an Ohlins, think that's the ultimate.
Both the Worx and the progressive needed a rebuild around the 30k mark, but the std shocks last longer.
Andy

Progressive worked ok on my 1100.
It was an improvement.
A shelf life advantage may be that they build them, i figure, closer to as needed.
Curious, I got a Penske double clicker, it was a revelation.

My '01 ST1100 has a Progressing shock/spring on the rear (bought the bike with it already in) and I really like it, and I weigh around 235 lbs. I did raise the rear about 1/2" because I weigh more than the previous owner, and the adjustment vastly improved the steering and cornering of the bike.

a Hagon is just fine and comparable to the price of the Honda part - and is rebuildable.
I agree that Hagon shocks/springs are good pieces. I put a pair on my '96 Nighthawk 750ST (I rebuilt the forks myself - oil 1/4" higher than spec) and the bike handles the twisties really well, even with the extra weight of the fairing and luggage:

I bought the OEM shock from Silvers, the difference between the old and new was like night and day, but they always are. I've had no issue with the shock after three years and 20,000 miles.
The only shock now available is the ABS shock but it works fine on all models, if Silvers say they've got stock I've never known them to be wrong.
Re. the comment on NOS I can't imagine Honda have made parts for the 1100 in a long time.
Upt'North.

Back
Top Bottom