Is the classic sport-touring motorcycle doomed to extinction?

Believe it or not if you love twisty roads you'll love the NC750X!
Just returned from riding NW Spain on an NC750X. There were days where we rode for several hours at a time where the longest straight would be measured in a few hundred yards. The bike worked great! Had to be kept up in the middle of the rev range and it could use a bit more braking power so you just rode the "pace" more, but overall.......hard not to like for those conditions.

Had to be kept up in the middle of the rev range and it could use a bit more braking power so you just rode the "pace" more......
Even on torque-y STs, in the twisties, I keep the revs up using one gear lower than I might otherwise.

The bike seems to be more controllable with just the throttle, and ready to accelerate out of the turn.

Just returned from riding NW Spain on an NC750X. There were days where we rode for several hours at a time where the longest straight would be measured in a few hundred yards. The bike worked great! Had to be kept up in the middle of the rev range and it could use a bit more braking power so you just rode the "pace" more, but overall.......hard not to like for those conditions.
Back in 2012 the NC700X didn’t get a lot of respect but it still has a lot to offer. It’s nice to see the 700/750 remains in Honda’s lineup and that riders enjoy its friendly attributes in 2024. Initial reviews 12 years ago lauded its sharp handling.

Link to an article that details the author's explanation of why the the sport-touring motorcycle is doomed.
Are Classic Sport-Touring Motorcycles Dead?
The problem I always seem to have with such write-ups: the bad aftertaste of it being a paid add... :unsure:

I just lived 3 weeks on my "outdated" ST1100, comfy and safe through all kinds of weather and conditions...
Same with my GF on her as well "outdated" NT700VA...

I guess I'm with @Uncle Phil in this...

Last edited:
For sure it loves being around 4000rpm but the engine is SO smooth it doesn't really matter what revs you're at. With the modest power and not overwhelming brakes the bike favors a smooth riding style which in the end is FAST. If you've ever ridden a 390/400cc bike on track you know what I mean. I also own an MT-10SP and it surprises me how fast I find myself going down a twisty road on the NC! It's not the be all end all but it's a great bike that leaves you smiling. 60+mpg on regular gas isn't hard to deal with either.

Indeed, @JetRanger .
But even tho the old 750/4 was the top tier, and still is a decent bike, we don't have to go THAT far back to find a good bike to tour on.
And while I've yet to ride a chopper, I don't see that as anywhere near my top choice.
Since the dawn of motorcycles, many intrepid individuals have covered many miles on less suitable equipment.

Its about mission and capability. When I got into bikes, accidentally, it was the UJM that was available and cheap. Several Suzuki GS's, a couple Kawasaki KZ's, Honda CB, VF culminating in the CBR1000F before I had my long hiatus from motorcycles. I'm sure I put on the proverbial rose-tinted glasses when I reminisce about these machines. What I do know is they all got me to where I needed to go. No major breakdowns, mechanical issues. But back then I rode for pleasure, not necessarily transportation. The CBR was the exception as I was putting 10K a year on that one.

Fast forward 20yrs and the bikes I "grew up" around are the ones I still love, the sportbikes I lusted after. Sport touring is just sportbike "light", so that's what I like, acceptable handling and performance with practicality. My current mission is commuting, 99% is 60+mph and 80+mph divided and slab. I don't "get" the ADV craze, they just look odd/ugly to me. The storage solutions look like they were afterthoughts, and not much weather protection. I readily admit that an ADV bike may be just fine for my needs, I've never ridden one, and I can eat crow. A newish "do it all" bike like the NC750X may in fact do it all, then again, maybe not. Will it like spending 50% of its time at 80+mph? With hard bags storage would be fine, its the wind protection and HP that I question to be comfortable for this use. Only riding one will tell me.

As much as I'm a proponent of keeping the ST1100 alive, I'm not blind or stupid. I know that many parts are not available new, and some things like final drives and swingarms are eventually going to become unobtainium. I'll keep going as long as I can, but gut tells me that the FJR1300 or if the wallet allows, BMW are likely the best options for the mission. Hell, maybe the "new" Wing prices on the used market will come down enough when I'm ready....

For sure it loves being around 4000rpm
I found it would "shudder" (if that is the right word) when accelerating under larger throttle openings under 3,000 rpm so kept it around 4k+ and it seemed happier.
If I was sentenced to spend the rest of my pavement riding days on one, it wouldn't upset me. It is a very capable bike. Of course the under "tank" storage is genius!! Too bad they quit selling them here.

You can make your own. Here's My '96 "CB750ST" that I assembled before I got my first ST1100.

Vetter Windjammer 5 and K&G Engineering luggage, I got it all for $50 and five hours of driving.

NH750a.jpg

My "light" version of that lol

riucjDu.jpg

Vetter Windjammer 5 and K&G Engineering luggage, I got it all for $50 and five hours of driving.

WHOA! $50?!?!?
I've seen this one before, but don't remember you ever sharing your purchase price!
I'd drive all day and all night for that kind of deal.

I don't "get" the ADV craze, they just look odd/ugly to me. The storage solutions look like they were afterthoughts, and not much weather protection.

It's a whole other world, off in the woods and in the dirt and climbing over rocks and roots. Took nearly half my riding career before I saw the need (improving my riding skills) and discovered the joys. (And it HAS made me a better rider, too.)
Man! Whoever knew you could have THIS MUCH FUN riding at just 15mph?!
Function over form, my boy. But if you wanna see FUGLY, just take a gander at the 2025 BMW GSA. But don't say I didn't warn ya. It looks awful, even among ADV bikes.

Adventure bike, kitted out street bike, call it what you will. Lots of bikes can get you there, but I appreciate the ADV compromises, not far removed from "sport-touring", y'know? Many bikes can do more than one thing, or wear more than one hat, so to speak. So far these have been my dual-purpose bikes -- BMW f650gs Dakar, KTM 950 Adventure S, and now the BMW GSA 1250. Each has been more than capable on the streets, have hauled luggage and camping gear, and all were far better in the dirt than I am.

Surprisingly, the big mule GSA has wayyyyy more wind and weather protection than one would think. That is why many road-only riders prefer them for more sport-touring duty. They will haul anything / everything, and the comfort combined with its superb road manners probably explains why it is the market leader. Like SUVs, the vast majority will never see anything rougher than a gravel road.

The GSA has very nearly (not quite completely, tho) convinced me I don't really need that GoldWing I always thought I'd have.

WHOA! $50?!?!?
I've seen this one before, but don't remember you ever sharing your purchase price!
I'd drive all day and all night for that kind of deal.2
The seller contacted me through the Vetter Owners Group forum. He was stripping an '82 CB750C and asked if I was interested in buying everything for $100.

After a few days of indecision, he offered it for $50. I said okay! The best part was having all of the mounting brackets and hardware included.

I have added the backrest that can slide up to the rider since the picture was taken. Here's my install thread:

Last edited:
The seller contacted me through the Vetter Owners Group forum. He was stripping an '82 CB750C and asked if I was interested in buying everything for $100.
I may have misunderstood... in fact, I'm sure I did.
Thought you meant, you bought the bike with the Vetter, and the cases, ALL for fifty bucks.
Now, THAT would have been a steal.
I doubt you could find an old used Vetter for that price today that wasn't trashed... at least not if the seller knew what they had.
In 1974 when I bought a new one, it was over three big hundred dollars. Well, back then, 300 was big dollars for me.

Back
Top Bottom