Is the classic sport-touring motorcycle doomed to extinction?

I'm gonna need you to call my wife and explain why you recommend this purchase......
Easy, you'll get an FJR... but thinking you want a lighter bike in a year... then, you'll sell the FJR and get something lighter... regretting selling the FJR... causing you to buy a more expensive sport tourer... so... financially, it makes more sense to get both as you'll satisfy those urges and they'll last you for many years... or 'til the next wife.

Easy, you'll get an FJR... but thinking you want a lighter bike in a year... then, you'll sell the FJR and get something lighter... regretting selling the FJR... causing you to buy a more expensive sport tourer... so... financially, it makes more sense to get both as you'll satisfy those urges and they'll last you for many years... or 'til the next wife.
Huh, maybe. I figured that I "needed" ABS, you know, safety, that might get her. She was unfazed. I might be over-insured.... I can afford the motorcycles, I surely cannot afford changing wives.....

When I met my future wife 52 years ago, I told her she can never tell me I can't buy a new motorcycle or go on a bow hunting trip. Do you know what she did? Took up motorcycle riding and bow hunting so that we could spend more time together. It worked out pretty well since we've been married over 50 years now, but I've had to buy more motorcycles and pay for more hunting trips than I normally would have lol.

here she is at 72 yo

ppEkE7N.jpg

her Trophy wall ..all bow harvests

yyIpiDZ.jpg

Last edited:
When I began finding myself serious about Roz (before marriage) I told her i have to get something off the table, if we are to move forward...
"Don't ever, ever, NEVER! ask me to sell a motorcycle."
Immediately, she came back with a counter-condituon and I started to sweat...
She said "Don't ever, ever, NEVER! ask me to ride with you."
*whew!*
Ok then, let's see where this goes.
Now we're 22 years into our delicate, uneasy detente. She hates motorcycles.
She's so weird, but that's life.

When I began finding myself serious about Roz (before marriage) I told her i have to get something off the table, if we are to move forward...
"Don't ever, ever, NEVER! ask me to sell a motorcycle."
Immediately, she came back with a counter-condituon and I started to sweat...
She said "Don't ever, ever, NEVER! ask me to ride with you."
*whew!*
Ok then, let's see where this goes.
Now we're 22 years into our delicate, uneasy detente. She hates motorcycles.
She's so weird, but that's life.

Sharon would ride with me, but when she got her dad's Dune buggy she hasn't riden with me since. I'm OK with that she never like twisty roads,which I live for.
I met my wife of 32 years when I was a bearded motorcycle-riding flatmate. She used to ride with me occasionally until kids came along and then quit, and ever since has more than tolerated my hobby, and in return I have encouraged her to develop her own passions. Now that the kids have left the nest, we now have our own dedicated hobby spaces (a Mancave and a Chick-pit) and a very harmonious marriage, along with 4 motorcycles and a 300cc Vespa...I think I am winning.

I can always call Andy and ride the CX650 eurosport I gave him if I want to, for riding twisty roads. But like the handling and smoothness of my ST more.

Back
Top Bottom