Honda's new front suspension idea. No more conventional fork?

Would you want a suspension like this?

• Yes

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
Honda patented the Hossak suspension for MotoGP back in 2016 and it never saw a race. So this suspension has been around a while.
I didn't know that but since BMW has been using the Hossack fork under the feature name Duolever since 2006 I don't see how Honda could patent it 10 years later. Maybe a version or variant.

I didn't know that but since BMW has been using the Hossack fork under the feature name Duolever since 2006 I don't see how Honda could patent it 10 years later. Maybe a version or variant.

I would say there is enough of a difference between Hossack and Duolever that it warrants a new patent. The people in the office thought so.

I guarantee you that if BMW thought somebody was infringing on the duolever patent they would have 'em in court.

Unless the patent is expired on Duolever, but then Honda would just copy it. Not file a new patent

Reactions: Obo
I think a double wishbone, or girder, or other multi-link style suspension is whatever I'll call here "in the general domain". Norman Hossack improved upon preexisting designs, as did BMW, as did Honda, as did others. Like Al said this suspension design has been around a long time. My comment in #63 is response that Honda's patent is a version or a variant of a Hossack style fork.

Just what I read...............https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/hondas-hossack-forks-on-superbike/Is Honda patenting a new type of front end for it’s MotoGP team? Merging the patent drawing with a photo of Big Red’s RC213V-S machine makes it seem like a plausible fit.
While a patent is never a cast-iron guarantee that a project will see the light of day they're an intriguing peephole into the inner workings of the most secretive R&D departments. And the latest from Honda is particularly eye-opening. It describes, and illustrates, a design for a Hossack-style front suspension system specifically created for high performance and race applications. The pictures show the setup fitted to the instantly-recognisable frame of an RC213V MotoGP machine, or possibly its RC213V-S road-going spin-off. The engine outline, while lacking its cylinders, also resembles the firm's current V-4 race unit.
Hossack forks, named after British engineer Norman Hossack who pioneered their development in the 1970s, are a well-established system. BMW’s Duolever front end, as used on the K1300 and K1600 models, illustrates their use in mass production, while the likes of John Britten’s legendary V1000 showed that they could also be of use on the track. Not to mention Hossack’s own racing exploits on a variety of machines modified to use his suspension design.1587564120130.png

I have a 2015 BMW K1600GT with this type of front wheel suspension with just under 100K miles and have had no problem.

How do you view the K overall in terms of reliability, having near 100k on it? Also does it feels much bigger/heavier than the ST in slow parking lot speeds?
I'm asking cas I was thinking switching to K too.

I think the K is just as reliable as the 2005 ST1300 I had which I rode for 85K miles. The K is slightly heavier than the ST1300 but the weight is lower. Both are big, heavy bikes so you need to use the same care with the K1600 in slow maneuvers as with the ST1300. You will drop it!

The K1600 engine is amazing! Once you have ridden one you'll realize what a difference 165 HP over 115 HP does for performance. The K1600 also has a much more sophisticated traction control and electronic suspension.

Loved my ST1300 but so glad I moved on to a new affair with KBiK, my 2015 K1600GT!

Back
Top Bottom