Honda's new front suspension idea. No more conventional fork?

Would you want a suspension like this?

• Yes

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
Been using it for over a year now on my 2018 Wings, it is much less twitchy. Good feel, for things you need to feel, and excludes those you don't. Almost no dive on braking and, unfortunately, I can attest that it absorbs energy except in a collision, which to my mind makes it safer.

Can't say yes or no without riding one. On paper, it looks to me like it would have advantages over conventional forks. It is by far the one newer technology that I really would like to try. I have never been as close to pulling the trigger on a new motorcycle as I am a new goldwing right now, but I'm still struggling to pull that trigger.

All I see are 12 separate pivot points which will wear out and introduce lots of slop into your steering and suspension.
Yes, nothing beats a leaf spring girder fork and a rigid frame rear suspension in that regard.

1586545486464.png

In practice fork-alternative suspensions offer some advantages for riders but trade off those for additional complexity and potential maintenance.

it will be interesting to see after some heavy miles ...... will it get sloppy and will it becomes replace all after a known milage ?

Will the old style fork be relegated to the past... who knows?
Conventional forks have been around a long time and have been refined to work on the fastest, most advanced race bikes made. For that reason, I think that manufacturers would continue to use them on most bikes as the cheapest, lightest and simplest technology. I think the new GW style would be reserved for maybe a few models that they feel they can risk stepping outside the box on issues such as cost, weight, complexity, etc.
I could be wrong, but that is my thought

What I'd like to see is something for motorsports based on the new tech for mountain bikes like the Trust Performance system. Watching a guy ride with no hands over a curb is an impressive feat!

That being said perhaps it would be a better application for off road motorcycles, but given the on-road things you don't want to hit as well as bumps and potholes, this might be even better.

Conventional forks have been around a long time and have been refined to work on the fastest, most advanced race bikes made. For that reason, I think that manufacturers would continue to use them on most bikes as the cheapest, lightest and simplest technology. I think the new GW style would be reserved for maybe a few models that they feel they can risk stepping outside the box on issues such as cost, weight, complexity, etc.
I could be wrong, but that is my thought

I don't think there's a problem with adoption when the manufacturers switch from the old to whatever is new but they have to be able to make a profit. The most advanced bike does no good if it's priced too high for anyone to buy it.

What I'd like to see is something for motorsports based on the new tech for mountain bikes like the Trust Performance system. Watching a guy ride with no hands over a curb is an impressive feat!

That being said perhaps it would be a better application for off road motorcycles, but given the on-road things you don't want to hit as well as bumps and potholes, this might be even better.
what a deal at two grand:shrug2:

what a deal at two grand:shrug2:

You can buy an off the shelf high end MB (up to $18K) https://flowmountainbike.com/post-all/the-top-most-expensive-mountain-bikes-for-2020/ which is over the price of some new motorcycles. But I agree MB stuff is pricey when you start getting all fancy and farkling. Still look what you pay for a set of Clearwater MC lights. Are they good, yes. Are they $that much good, dunno. You just need to have a decent product and folks willing to pay a premium for what they want. :)

Interesting. So what happens when you’re cornering? The geometry of the bike has to be different than with the standard forks?

Back
Top Bottom