Dyna beads vs Counteract balancing beads

Ok, I'll say this one more time. I've been using Crosman SoftAir 'pellets' (6mm) for years now. They're cheap, and they work. I've used them in the ST1100, the motorhome and the cars. When I've changed tires, they're still as they were when I put them in the tires. They don't disintegrate, they stay round, they don't absorb moisture, they can be used again. They don't need filtered valve cores. You put them in when you mount a tire, and forget about them. 4oz in a car tire, 2oz in a bike tire. I just can't figure out why everyone wants to make a simple solution so difficult. JWID, YMMV, HTH!
John

Counteract said;
One last thing, Counteract beads do not break down. Earlier there was a post from Dyna beads that if put in a tumbler they will turn into sand. 100% not true. These beads are so strong, when we use the quick install tool, sometimes they will get in the hoppers threads and gouge the metal. The bead stays in perfect shape.

Dynabeads said;
Competitors are glass plastic liquid and various other items products. Put some in a tumbler for a period of time, what comes out sand.... the coating will wear off the glass, the glass grinds down and you are left with sand that is very abrasive (example abrasive cloth? sand paper?).

Not quite correct there Counteract....

I think this is becoming far too much like a sales pitch than a thread with comments about a product..... and I still didn't get an answer over on the original thread about who asked Counteract to contribute his "expert opinion"....

Perhaps he should register as a vendor if he has not already done so.....

:d1:

Been using Dyna Bead OTR in my wing tires. Have used the smaller dynabeads for a few years before that with great results. If you have a changer it is nice to use the larger beads... Just rebreak one sidewall and dump in as others have stated. I even do a quick static balance before adding beads to make sure of the amount of beads needed. Usually just add half ounce more than what tire weight would be required. They will not install thru the valvestem which is why I like them. Don't have to worry about blowing air in before checking the tire pressure. My Goldwing has the TPMS System and I not had any issues yet with the TPMS...I am not to worried about the sensors since the beads run on the outside and TPMS is inboard. Will be bypassing and removing the stock sensors at my next tire change because I am running a DORAN system (which I highly recommend) on the tires as well. Needed more than just idiot light. Will let you all know what I find when I do.

I am sure the CounterAct beads will perform well also. Don't know if they make a large size yet though. As far as what is better I don't know, they both are obviously more than capable of performing there intended function.

Edit: just went to check out CounterActs tire beads site and it will not run on a iPad...or anything that requires adobe flash...they need to fix that!

Update from Mean: The black beads that made up the salt and pepper of the Dyna Beads in the old tires were ceramic beads coated with rubber or possibly some carbon black. It rubs off between the fingers. There is no rolled up rubber in there.

G

I have a balancing question in general regarding any of the beads being used. From what I've read and have been told (based on tire size), most bikes require 1 ounce of beads for the front wheel and two in the rear. I'm guessing this is based on the usual amount of weight needed to bring a tire into balance. Since the beads ride at a distance further away from the axle than where lead weights are stuck to the rim, it makes sense that less weight is needed. My question is, has anyone ended up needing more than the recommended amount of beads to get a tire to balance properly? It seems that the proper thing to do is to first put the wheel on a balancer and determine how much weight is needed, and then some simple calculation would tell if the recommended amount of beads will be sufficient.

I know, I'm thinking too much again...

I saw in TinyL's post above he talked about doing a static balance check of his tires and then adding the needed amount plus about 1/2 oz. extra. Post #55

I have a balancing question in general regarding any of the beads being used. From what I've read and have been told (based on tire size), most bikes require 1 ounce of beads for the front wheel and two in the rear. I'm guessing this is based on the usual amount of weight needed to bring a tire into balance. Since the beads ride at a distance further away from the axle than where lead weights are stuck to the rim, it makes sense that less weight is needed. My question is, has anyone ended up needing more than the recommended amount of beads to get a tire to balance properly? It seems that the proper thing to do is to first put the wheel on a balancer and determine how much weight is needed, and then some simple calculation would tell if the recommended amount of beads will be sufficient.

I know, I'm thinking too much again...

The nice thing with beads is too much is fine, but not enough will not work. True the arm length effect would mean that less would be needed...but I error on the high side to make sure it balances. Excess weight simply counterbalances till every thing equals out. Before I started using beads, my worst amount of weights needed was 1.6oz. (Static balance). I used 2oz in front and back when I was on the ST. Started pre-inspecting balance when a friends Harley wheel needed 5oz to balance. Was an old rim and was spoked (1940's Harley). Definitely safe with 2 oz in each on the ST. Goldwing is the same. My biggest reason togo to beads was that throwing a weight or messing up the finish on my rims really ticked me off.

I also have access to a helli-arc welder and placed beads of aluminum on my rims to perfectly balance them before the tire was installed...but this was before beads because I really wanted to reduce the amount of weights installed...

Last edited:
I recently made the change to balancing beads, Counteract is what I bought. I put them in after a front tire change and immediately noticed the difference. I was so impressed I added an ounce to my rear tire that had 8000 miles on it and was beginning to wear unevenly. The vibration that had started with the uneven wear was gone immediately and you could see the wear pattern change within a week. I ride almost everyday, year-round, about 110 miles a day so I go through a couple sets of tires a year. I am so sold on these I have ordered them in bulk now for use in my Chevy Avalanche and my cars.

bcolony, SW Missouri
2005 ST1300, 65,000 miles

One thing to consider using beads to balance your tires. If you ever get flat on the road, you can NOT use SLIME or Fix-A-Flat. You could use a plug but it will interfere with the path of the beads inside your tire, not sure how that will effect the beads ability to balance. I've mounted and balanced over 300 tires, some of them for people who drag and road race. None of them use beads. If you go to one of the national road races like Road America in Elkhart Lake WI, you will see all the tires are balanced with weights. Michelin and Metzeler will void warranty on the tire if there is evidence of a bead product being used. I don't sell weights or have any financial interest in the sale of them either.

But have you ever tried them?

One thing to consider using beads to balance your tires. If you ever get flat on the road, you can NOT use SLIME or Fix-A-Flat. You could use a plug but it will interfere with the path of the beads inside your tire, not sure how that will effect the beads ability to balance. I've mounted and balanced over 300 tires, some of them for people who drag and road race. None of them use beads. If you go to one of the national road races like Road America in Elkhart Lake WI, you will see all the tires are balanced with weights. Michelin and Metzeler will void warranty on the tire if there is evidence of a bead product being used. I don't sell weights or have any financial interest in the sale of them either.

As I have said before on here, I used beads in both my ST1100's.... smooth as a smooth thing could be....

I had a puncture, well two actually as the first plug leaked after about 2500 miles...... I simply applied the rubber cement to the plug and inserted it, waited 5-10 minutes for it to go "off" then inflated the tyre and trimmed the plug.....

Worked just fine and no clumping........ and still perfectly smooth balance throughout the speed range.....

I used to work for Michelin.......

2c.

I have not tried them on my own bike since I have all the tools to mount and balance my own tires. I have changed a couple of tires that had the beads in them and you could clearly see from the friction of the beads rotating around inside the tire the center of the tire, with only 4K on it, was worn smooth! About a 2" wide strip was smooth from the center out, closer to the sides you could still see the ribbing molded into the inside. I remember this was a Continental tire off a BMW1200 Adventure, but I can't remember the model of the tire. I did take pictures of this with the intent of sending them to Motorcycle Consumer News but never got around to it. I'll try to dig them up and attach them here. I don't think the wear from the beads was at a critical level, but they definetly wear the inside down.

I don't see any way the beads could wear the inside enough to matter the dyna beads did create some rubber dust if you will and theybeing ceramic also seemed to wear a bit I switched to the counteract beads but haven't changed my tire since I switched probably happen in March. But as far as balancing goes no issues from the beads.

I have read with interest the bead balancing theory and like what I see.

However living in Australia makes access to these products difficult. Both Dyna and counteract claim they cant post to Australia.

On Ebay Counteract kit for ST1100 costs around $36 plus about $20 post for a small packet and Dyna is a little less cost and around $68 post for same size packet, sounds like a rip off.

Interesting

A very interesting, informative thread here! Some mud-slinging, maybe, but hey, everyone gets to be on the same playing field, so I guess all points are welcome.

Being a newbie rider, the thoughts of "tire changes" are scary at times, but these long threads show there's a ton of help around always. Thanks for the thread!

Regards,
Vishnu

I put Counteract beads in a new front BT45 several months ago. I've since put 13.5k miles on it and it now needs replacing. The tire has worn very well and evenly... no cupping like the previous BT45 that was on there that saw the same rider, same roads and same riding style. These are some pics of the BT45 with 13.5k on it...

IMG_2046.jpg IMG_2049.jpg

I also put beads in my previous rear tire (BT23) when it had about 3k on it... got about 14k out of it and it also wore evenly. When I replaced that tire, I recovered the beads and will use them again. There was no evidence of wear inside the tire due to the beads. I also put them in my current rear tire (Commander II) which is wearing evenly, but it's only got 5K on it.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my Counteract beads and will continue to use them.

Back
Top Bottom