Drivetrain clunk when accelerating out of first

Are the dampers on the 1300 different in the way they fit/work?

When I changed mine (2010 1300), the rubber wedges fit without pounding - not easily, but a pretty tight fit. I don't remember what I might have used to lube them - maybe a soap in water solution.

I found the new bushing at Honda. It was not the problem unfortunately. However, the clunk is there. Not sure how I will fix this in the end. In summary if you are clunking:
-dampeners
-clutch hydraulic components
-clutch springs in the basket
-final drive (spacer?, worn gears?)——swap out.
-ujoint
It’s going to require some major detective work.

Did you read my post in this thread (#15)? And then go back and read my older posts about this problem on my bike. To cut to the chase, it was diagnosed correctly by running the bike and probing the FD and clutch cover w/ a mechanic's stethoscope. I chased dead ends around this bike for a few thousand miles and my local dealer w/ a genius idiot of a mechanic w/ a mohawk cost me a thousand bucks because he was so 'smart' that he did not have to use standard means to diagnose the problem.

Yes read it. It makes sense. Since every mechanic from here to the moon always insists it’s the rubbers. It ain’t. I think it’s the special washer in the final drive. The extra space created by the missing washer creates extra lash and slop in the drive. Yes, fleabay replacement will cure it. My luck, the fleabay one will suffer this problem as it sounds quite common. My question now is (and should be a new thread) I guess, how hard is it to open up the drive to replace said washer?

I solved this very problem of a clunk at the end of clutch engagememt( that could be reduced by inordinate slipping of clutch) by working the clutch very hard in a series of up hill starts one after the other went from being there every time to gone completely in the space of this exercise. Definitely a clutch plate issue, possibly caused by light use/ layup or poor oil combination with aftermarket plates.

My bike has been making that clunk for some time now. I've decided to do a clutch friction disks and springs replacement. Does anyone have any suggestions/warnings with after-market products, or are the OEM parts the way to go? EBC makes disks and springs that will fit the ST1100, but I see that the first and last friction disks on the parts diagram are a different part number from the other 8 friction disks. Does EBC follow Honda's practice or are all 10 of their disks the same? Anyone have experience with this?

Ok everyone. I finally put a low mile final drive in from eBay and it still clunks exactly the same!! Worse when hot
Unsure where to proceed.
so far:
New cushions and inserts
New clutch slave and master

Open to suggestions. The fact that it’s temp related leads me to believe it’s some kinda clutch deal.

Last edited:
My bike has been making that clunk for some time now. I've decided to do a clutch friction disks and springs replacement. Does anyone have any suggestions/warnings with after-market products, or are the OEM parts the way to go? EBC makes disks and springs that will fit the ST1100, but I see that the first and last friction disks on the parts diagram are a different part number from the other 8 friction disks. Does EBC follow Honda's practice or are all 10 of their disks the same? Anyone have experience with this?
Did this solve your clunk???

I solved this very problem of a clunk at the end of clutch engagememt( that could be reduced by inordinate slipping of clutch) by working the clutch very hard in a series of up hill starts one after the other went from being there every time to gone completely in the space of this exercise. Definitely a clutch plate issue, possibly caused by light use/ layup or poor oil combination with aftermarket plates.
Hi there Can you elaborate on the uphill technique?

Back
Top Bottom