Big Blue won't wake up from her long winter's nap.

I've probably got the least experience with an ST compared to anyone but the suspense is killing me, can't stop myself, no self control so here goes, wondering that you mention in your first post plugs looked okay, wet and you had spark, also you can hear the pump prime so that's gas, also you said you verified spark at each plug I read my 03 manual and it suggests checking compression at some point. I wouldn't suspect so since you rode it last and a bad pocket or misfire likely won't go unnoticed on a four banger.
I had a couple times with mine where it seems as though I flooded it, only had it a couple times, left if alone for ten minutes then started it up and forgot about it. I'm wondering if you've got too much fuel at start and once your plugs are wet you're flogging a dead horse for the next however minutes.
I am wondering if it has something to do with air blockage or fuel/injector troubles. I want to eliminate possibility of under-the-airbox critters damage first.

I am wondering if it has something to do with air blockage or fuel/injector troubles. I want to eliminate possibility of under-the-airbox critters damage first.
You wrote that you can hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on, so the fuel injectors are functioning.
There is also the possibility of damage to wiring, or other components, under the air box besides the fuel injectors, so it is a good idea to have a look since you are almost there anyway.

No signs of critters or any apparent wire damage. It's a little dusty but not bad for 127K kilometers. The witness marks (yellow paint) on the air funnel screws make me think that the airbox had never been removed before. I'm surprised at how tiny is the legendary 5-way T-connection. It's under the skinny wire bundles in the pictures.IMG_20220423_140752_483.jpgIMG_20220423_140752_483.jpg I guess I should clean it out while I'm here.

Attachments

• IMG_20220423_140909_290.jpg
    IMG_20220423_140909_290.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 8
It does look a bit dusty for sure. A little cleaning wouldn't hurt.
That "T" sure is tiny, just check to make sure all the ports are clear of debris. If you have big hands, you may find it difficult to access. Long nosed pliers helps and you just gently push off the rubber hoses from it.
What's your plan for trying to start it now? A small spray of starter fluid or a little splash of some fresh gas?
While you're there, you can also take up some slack in the throttle cables by adjusting it at the throttle body. Loosen the adjuster at the throttle grip first. This is only needed if you see that your getting near to the end of your adjustment at the grip.
Good luck , we're all anticipating and hoping for a fast "come to life" roar of your engine!

It does look a bit dusty for sure. A little cleaning wouldn't hurt.
That "T" sure is tiny, just check to make sure all the ports are clear of debris. If you have big hands, you may find it difficult to access. Long nosed pliers helps and you just gently push off the rubber hoses from it.
What's your plan for trying to start it now? A small spray of starter fluid or a little splash of some fresh gas?
While you're there, you can also take up some slack in the throttle cables by adjusting it at the throttle body. Loosen the adjuster at the throttle grip first. This is only needed if you see that your getting near to the end of your adjustment at the grip.
Good luck , we're all anticipating and hoping for a fast "come to life" roar of your engine!
I'll will clean out the 5-way and then I suppose I'll try some quick start or fresh gas in the throttle bodies. I'm a little leary about doing that. I've seen them do that on Rust Valley Restorers (Canadian TV show) many times and almost burn their shop down many times!

I'lll try some quick start or fresh gas in the throttle bodies. I'm a little leary about doing that. I've seen them do that on Rust Valley Restorers (Canadian TV show) many times and almost burn their shop down many times!

Haha......Just a little bit and you should be good. Those guys usually drown the engine with fuel though. I've seen them do that too! :)

Good luck....

and it's the skinny ass 5 way, not the fat guy going to the solenoid / canister on the right side; glad you lifted that off for a look, a picture paints a thousand words, I'm sure Igofar is watching and he can spot a nick on a wire from I'm gonna guess a thousand yards; hopefully he breaks the [near] deafening silence soon, but meanwhile it's all good jolly fun.
Yeah you got some dusty roads there bro.

I do know that that 5 way tee manifolds the under throttle plate ports to the MAP sensor; I'm always curious why it's oft mentioned that it can be a problem; I mean if one or two [or even three] of the smaller tubes connecting to the TB ports becomes blocked, so what, as long as one still has free passage [and there's no tube leaks] to the MAP sensor I would imagine everything should still work; the tee only provides an average of the four, unless it causes some other kind of problem.

Every one of my TB clamps were loose not sure if air might have been leaking in a bit
Ive got a small hand held manual vac pump might try pinching three branch line at a time and pull from the MAP connected hose, dont want to wait til august for replacement tubes

It is funny you should ask! It sprang to life about 4 o'clock this afternoon!

Yesterday afternoon I put some gas down throttle bodies at cranked it. The first few times it was about the same, not much sign of life. After a few times it would stumble a little and it seemed like it was trying run on raw gas. Thought maybe that indicated somehow the ejectors were not providing fuel even though the fuel pump was pressurizing. I was still not getting any fault codes to indicate there were any problems. Member Catmandu2 had gotten in touch with me and offered to ride down on Sunday from Wasaga beach to have look and listen. Unfortunately, my wife had friends visiting from Alberta coming over so I couldn't take Cat2 up on his offer. This morning I picked up some 5/32 vacuum hose because eventually I knew I would clean out the 5 way. I talked to Cat2 again, checked fuses, peered into nooks and crannies looking for damaged or corroded wires. I tried more cranking with fuel and it stumbled a little more each time. Eventually it was almost running but quit when I released the starter. I'd only do that for 10 seconds or so and let it rest for ten minutes between tries. I was still thinking it was running off of the gas I was putting in the throttle bodies. I was off for bit and came back to it later in the afternoon. After a few tries it kept running after releasing the starter. It would run rough and stall if I tried to turn the throttle. It was starting and running on its own fuel. Rough at first but eventually smoothed out and normal throttle operation. It is now starting/running good as new. I don't have much of an explanation. Something cleared up by repeated cranking with fuel in the throttle bodies.

I'll take the 5 way T out and clean it tomorrow. Then put it all back together without dropping any screws into the engine! Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement. I didn't burn down any buildings or even singe my eye brows.

It might have been old fuel fouling the plugs and fresh stuff squirted in woke the spark up and the rest is history. It would be nice to know what resuscitated your sleeping beauty but at the end of the day or the beginning of the ride —
"It's alive!... It's alive!!!....."
+1

It might have been old fuel fouling the plugs and fresh stuff squirted in woke the spark up and the rest is history. It would be nice to know what resuscitated your sleeping beauty but at the end of the day or the beginning of the ride —
+1
Perhaps it was something like that. It starts and runs fine on the remnant of the winter fuel now. I had siphoned half the tank of fuel out to make it easier to lift and prop the tank. I'll take it for a ride Thursday or Friday and burn off some old fuel (we're getting snow tomorrow). I'll fill up and put some injector cleaner in it (probably Seafoam). I cleaned the five way today and reinstalled with new hoses. It's all back together except for a few panels and the seat which I'll finish up tomorrow. I think I'll go out and poke it every day for a few weeks to make sure it doesn't go back to sleep!

The bike runs from the fuel in the lower tank. If it has set for a few months with old gas in it, the ethanol will absorb moister and over time, it will separate with the water on the bottom and the ethanol fuel on the top. Fuel pump pumps from the bottom of the lower tank. More water content in the lower portion of the gas tank. It happened to my daughters little bike. Bike would not start, replaced the old fuel with new and all was fine. I bet that is what your issue was. Glad it is alive again.

Back
Top Bottom