Old Enough To Remember?

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Those were the days...

I'm more of an Aqua Velva guy myself, but still...

432469570_791955166302113_8612248466674881982_n.jpg

So, you’re sayin‘ I’m old? Just keeping the tradition alive. I have to say that I miss the glass bottle, but the stuff in the plastic spray bottle smells the same as my first whiff of it, over 70 years ago. Dang, I guess I am old.

IMG_0748.jpeg

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Old Spice in PLASTIC bottles!?!?
Just wondered myself...
Their classic after shave still comes in the white glass jug with the tiny plug, but they have launched an entire new series in red plastic: https://oldspice.com/ ...
Tried the Captain flavor (basically over the very affordable price and the 1 liter(!) shower gel jug ;) )... much on the sweet side though... more for young dudes...

GF prefers my usual Marbert Man Classic (and bounces back like a cat over unknown scents... kinda: who are your?!... :crackup: )

According to AoM good classic flavors are:
- Pinaud
- Aqua Velva*
- Old Spice (the classic though)
- English Leather
- Brut
- Stetson
- Hai Karate

* found that one over here, classy, like it... while pricey Marbert remains my daily thing, the mentioned Captain gets used up for non social things, like working in the bike-shed...

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Interesting.
Can't begin to say when I quit using any of it, rather all of it. (Guess that's saying the same thing?)
For years I've presented myself to my small world, raw and unadulterated... but I do use deodorant, and sometimes I even take a shower.
I probably smell like the wind, most days...

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Interesting.
Can't begin to say when I quit using any of it, rather all of it. (Guess that's saying the same thing?)
For years I've presented myself to my small world, raw and unadulterated... but I do use deodorant, and sometimes I even take a shower.
I probably smell like the wind, most days...
I work in wastewater. Well, not IN it most days. So yeah, I smell like the wind. Downwind. Of something that's gone off.

My father and grandfather smelled like Old Spice. Nobody seems to bother anymore.

I had a 61 bug and truly, that 6 volt system was horrid. I broke a throttle cable on the Floating Bridge in Seattle, my god that was embarrassing. Turned up idle speed to get home.
Also had bad shaking engine until I dug leaves out of cooling fan. To make a sharp turn you flung the wing window open on the inside of corner, during upshift you had to jump up or it would lose forward speed and you had to start over.
It says a lot when the spare tire, fuel tank is the crush zone before your legs.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I had a 61 bug and truly, that 6 volt system was horrid. I broke a throttle cable on the Floating Bridge in Seattle, my god that was embarrassing. Turned up idle speed to get home.
Also had bad shaking engine until I dug leaves out of cooling fan. To make a sharp turn you flung the wing window open on the inside of corner, during upshift you had to jump up or it would lose forward speed and you had to start over.
It says a lot when the spare tire, fuel tank is the crush zone before your legs.
My younger brother bought a 1959 bug for $50. Came with a rotted out driver's floorboard with a 2x4 screwed across the hole to rest your feet on....and a vice-grip gas pedal.

Named the bug Ogelthorpe , Darned if is don't miss the thing even today, once went belly womping off road with four people and three dogs, a Husky A Sheepdog and a German Sheperd. Went where Microsoft is now between Bellevue and Redmond WA.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I still own my Grandmother's 66 Beetle. last year of the 6Volt with a 1300 engine. It only has about 90K miles total on it, she bought it brand new. I learned to drive in this car when I was about 12-13 years old. She lived in a remote area of Washington State right at the Canadian border. I used to drive it on dirt and gravel county roads and logging roads. It was amazing where that old Beetle would go. It was especially good driving in the snow. My old Granny used to hunt deer well into her 80's. I have a picture of the old Beetle with a deer strapped to the hood and fender with a proud old Grandma standing next it.
In the winter she had a heated dipstick that she used to keep it warm so it would start.

Top Bottom