Old Enough To Remember?

What things cost......milk at $3.98
Today.....$4.36.

1970: $1.32 per gallon. This meant schoolchildren all over the country drank more milk, which raised prices in the short term but also motivated dairy farmers to increase production. By 1970, milk prices had reached $1.32 per gallon, right on par with the rate of inflation.

Well . . . what happened?
Shuey

What things cost......milk at $3.98
Today.....$4.36.
First I though "nothing special with those prices, we pay about the same here"...
Then I realized that we here have pay that much for one liter of milk, whilst you guys moan about the costs of a 1 gal jug... :oops:

Last edited:
In a home with 7 kids, breakfast EVERY day was cereal, and we liked it. Every morning I'd read the box back to pass the time while I ate my cereal. Kix had comics on the back that I'd reread every morning until we opened a new box . . . maybe something different? Didn't make any difference. Some cereals had actual comic books in the box, but the boxes with toys inside . . . you didn't want to be first to open them because the toy was usually at the bottom and we weren't allowed to dig through the box. When it poured out, it poured out.

I remember liking these as lots of fun in the tub, just add baking soda!

Shuey

Kelloggs Box Divers.jpg Kellogg's Divers.jpg

Enough of this. Growing up in Massachusetts in the early 70s and also up in Maine there were roadside lobster shacks along the coast. You could get a boiled lobster for $1.25 or $1.50 served on a paper plate. There was always a $.25 deposit on the nutcracker! There were picnic benches to eat at. The big problem was getting your hands clean enough so the grips on the CB175 didn't smell like lobster for the next few days. This is of course before the huge influx of tourists and NYers to the area really messed things up. Now there are almost no roadside lobster shacks and if you know where to get a lobster on the cheap it will cost you between $25-$40!

Enough of this. Growing up in Massachusetts in the early 70s and also up in Maine there were roadside lobster shacks along the coast. You could get a boiled lobster for $1.25 or $1.50 served on a paper plate. There was always a $.25 deposit on the nutcracker! There were picnic benches to eat at. The big problem was getting your hands clean enough so the grips on the CB175 didn't smell like lobster for the next few days. This is of course before the huge influx of tourists and NYers to the area really messed things up. Now there are almost no roadside lobster shacks and if you know where to get a lobster on the cheap it will cost you between $25-$40!

My dad grew up on a farm in Prince Edward Island and went to a one room school in the 30's and 40's. Families were a mix of farmers and fishermen and everyone was dirt poor. Fishermen families sent their kids to school with a lobster lunch and other types of fish depending on the season. It was viewed as a hardship and people felt bad for them.

Austrian Mail Service (Post) ran EV's till the early 80ies for parcel services...

Content_Bilder_Fuhrpark_Nostalgie_Fuhrpark_Nostalgie2341_590x430.jpg

Hah, we have milk delivered once a week from Smith Bros. Usually around 12:30 it drives the dogs nuts because they put dog treats in with the milk.
I do remember when things were cheaper, I do remember when my first real job working for a company was a dollar an hour, and how cool it was to get a 25 cent raise

First I though "nothing special with those prices, we pay about the same here"...
Then I realized that we here have pay that much for one liter of milk, whilst you guys moan about the costs of a 1 gal jug... :oops:
I've come across herds of cows in the Austrian countryside wearing brass bells of amazing quality and tone. Apparently they have to pass that expense on to the consumer.

Back
Top Bottom