ST1300 Rear Crash Bars Interfere With Passenger Footpegs - Any Workaround?

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I recently purchased a 2008 ST1300 from a forum member. The bike is in great shape and came with some nice add-ons including the rear crach bar protectors, which I like.

The issue is that the crash bars take away some of the space for the passenger to get a solid foot position on the rear pegs. We went for a 5-hour ride yesterday and my wife was OK with just her heels on the rear pegs, but it would be nice if she could get more of her foot on the peg and back a little, which gives my legs a little more room, as her toes are very close to the back of my leg.

I didn't know if anyone else had found a solution for better foot positon while still keeping the crash bars? Thanks

My wife complains of my rear crashbars too.

I have the Goldwing with the adapters.

Which ones do you have...pictures?

Jan hated them so I took them off and sold them on, problem solved LOL

I have the Bygdawg bars and they are about one handwith (i.e. 4 fingers) behind the passenger foot peg. Only two solutions that I can see, and @sky.high gave one of them. The other one is to find a passenger/partner who has small feet (or one small foot and one large one).

Bottom line, you can have the protection these bars offer or room for the passenger's feet, but not both. When I dropped my bike last fall (slipped out on the painted lines while turning) the only damage was to the tip over guard and the crash guard. The bike slid about 10' and turned 180 deg on the asphalt with not even one scratch on the bodywork. This was a low speed crash - around 15 mph and while the bars were never designed for crashes, as I said, the bike dropped and met no obstructions while sliding. The front tip over guards will protect the bike from drops (bike not moving forward) on flat, even pavement. Throw in a pothole or patch on the road and you might get some scratches on the saddle bag. Crash the bike - drop it while moving, and it's anybody's guess what will happen even with both guards.

Honda did not supply or sell rear crash bars as an accessory for the ST1300 and since there are different versions of crash bars that people commonly use on the ST1300 it would be helpful to see the OP's version and how they are installed.

We've seen ones that people install backwards, or others of a design that steals heel space and needs to be thrown away, or they use Goldwing bars using adapters that don't fit very well. Who knows?

Not much you can do with those, they way they are put together puts the lower part close to the foot peg. Goldwing bars with staggered bolt holes free up a couple of inches by moving the lower part close to the saddlebag.

Not much you can do with those, they way they are put together puts the lower part close to the foot peg. Goldwing bars with staggered bolt holes free up a couple of inches by moving the lower part close to the saddlebag.

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that might be the case. I'm wondering if a peg lowering kit would get the hard back part of my wife's boot below the crashbar. Might also just look into a different crashbar, like the Goldwing ones.

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that might be the case. I'm wondering if a peg lowering kit would get the hard back part of my wife's boot below the crashbar. Might also just look into a different crashbar, like the Goldwing ones.

My experience with the peg lowering kit is that you'll suddenly find your passenger's feet hitting your ankles.

You have Bygdawg tip over bars. Those are the ones that are positioned a handwidth aft of the peg.

These are MCL rear lowering blocks. Notice they do a good job of making room and also tip the wife’s feet out a little. I have a man sized 13ee boot and she has never hit with these.
783B709F-DD26-43D1-8321-DB7F55C6331F.jpegCB781442-6C3A-45D0-B76B-2BC3C3B012CB.jpeg

That's encouraging to know. I assume there is no ground clearance issue when leaned over while cornering. Is that a fair statement?

Hondasaurus - Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it would be better than my current situation.

SMSW - Thank you for identifying the brand - good to know.

Hondasaurus - Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it would be better than my current situation.

SMSW - Thank you for identifying the brand - good to know.
One last comment. Should you take these off, don't remove both bolts on one side at the same time. The frame can slip and it will require two people or a jack and some wood blocks to line everything up again. This doesn't happen every time, but its easier to loosen both bolts, remove one, pivot the bar to one side, replace the bolt and then take out the other one. The original bolts were shorter than the ones supplied by Bygdawg with his bars. Check for interference on the inside of the frame as you snug them up if you don't have the OEM bolts. I don't know how long they were, or I would have posted that.

Back
Top Bottom