I dont want the game to end.

i HAVE found that compression gloves can be a real help. I bought mine on Temu, and I wear them a lot of the time, especially while working. Mine are really thin, and supposedly copper infused. Might be worth a try.

More worrying is the thumb saddle on both hands

Have you tried those grip strength devices, they seem to work well for keeping the hand tendons/joints in shape? For the knees (and legs in general) I'd do squats (weighted or not). I'm a believer in physical training, especially at a "mature" stage in life.

the wife has some med issues that keep me close to home, so no more over night or long distance rides any more.
I watched my parents age pretty gracefully and slowly. The hallmark of their journey was a decrees in the size of their world. I like to think I have another long ride left in me but I think that is more wishful thinking. I do not like to leave my wife for that long these days.

Have you tried those grip strength devices, they seem to work well for keeping the hand tendons/joints in shape? For the knees (and legs in general) I'd do squats (weighted or not). I'm a believer in physical training, especially at a "mature" stage in life.
I lift weights and was a powerlifter with a mention or two in the magazines at one time, (probably one of the reasons my stupid ass is hurting) I still enjoy going through the movements though, not like I did a few years back but still.. more than most can do.
I tried the weightlifting gloves this afternoon and found that they help, could not get them under the leather gloves but that is a problem waiting to be solved.
We live to ride and we ride to live, so I´ll use that stupid weightlifter saying as a mantra...: "No pain, no gain"

This is a very interesting and pertinent discussion. I turn 70 in less than two weeks. I rode my Valkyrie to Alaska from Texas back in June. I ran to Arkansas twice in May on the Valk. I leave in four days for a five week meander through the eastern half of the USA. My two ST1300s get ridden frequently (well one of them is down at the moment). I plan on fully living until I am fully dead.

I'll be 67 in a month. I sold my ST1100 and purchased a Tracer GT 4 seasons ago. Bike characteristics aside, 500 lbs vs. 750 lbs. makes a huge difference when moving the bike around the garage or the shed.
I went to my "old man's bike" 8 years ago. I had always dreamed of having one of the "sport touring" bikes. My favorite just from reading magazine reviews and dreaming was the FJR. Don't hold that against me, please. :) My goal was to take a epic post-retirement ride in the summer of 2017, and I had a Honda NT700V at the time. Not as big as the ST's, but extremely capable.

Then I test rode a BMW F800GT. I liked it, and eventually bought one. It was 470 lbs wet. On my post-retirement ride, I never once felt like I needed one of the bigger sport-touring bikes. The result is that I skipped the big sport-touring bikes and went directly to my "old man's bike". And never looked back. Like @ReSTored 's Tracer, going smaller isn't getting anything less except weight. I've replaced the F800GT with a F900XR. Same weight, just more features like cruise control. I did about 8500 miles on the XR this summer.

I went to see the cardiologist for the first time in decades. In June, I had totaled the first of the XRs and the CAT scan in the ER said I had some plaque build-up in my arteries. The cardiologist doc said that wording was nothing to be worried about. Virtually all males over 50 have it the way it was described on the medical report, so the result was that my primary care doc sent me to the cardiologist as a CYA.

But he said something that made a lot of sense. We tend to think we are like we were in our 30s. We're not. The studies show we gradually taper off on our strength and if we want to live a longer active life, what we need to do is to begin exercising now. If we want to be able to lift 70 lbs over our head at age 72 (like my canoe for instance), then we need to go back to where our age is on that curve and see what weight we should be lifting today at 67...so that when we're 72, we can lift the 70 lbs. I hope that makes sense. In my case, I'm already at 72, so I need to do some exercise or lose what I do have now for strength.

One thing I learned years ago is that for me to exercise is important. Back in my 50s, I was developing arthritis. It runs in my family on my Dad's side. My hips were getting it, and my left hand definitely had it. I was riding a Burgman scooter at the time that had a step-through frame and the left hand operated the rear brake. Not much opportunity for movement on either set of joints. I didn't feel like I was that old, and realized that most people rode one of these maxi-scooters at the end of their riding careers. So I ended up buying that Honda NT700V. No longer was I stepping through the frame in front of the seat to get on. I was now stretching my right leg over the seat. The left hand was now operating a clutch. Uncomfortable at first, but my love of riding and determination to make this work kept me going. About a year later, I realized my hips weren't hurting anymore, and my left hand had no sign of the arthritis either. Sometimes you can't keep your range of motion through exercising the affected joints, but if it hasn't gone to far, that may help.

Chris

No one rides to their funeral with a safety deposit box securely on the back. If you are blessed to have some savings and it helps extend your riding in safety, comfort, or whatever then spend the money. I hear that no one one their deathbed says "I wish I had saved more money." If it's money we have and experiences we want then live them. And give thanks to the one that grants both.

I just turned 72 and I am still glad that I get to participate! :biggrin:
I've had 17 orthopedic surgeries - 4 major joint replacements (both knees and shoulders), 6 hand surgeries, 3 elbow repairs, - the list goes on.
I've been under anesthesia 25 times as I've had to have other 'repairs' to various internal 'systems'.
And I have degenerative arthritis in my lower spine.
Arthritis is a constant companion but not a pleasant one.
I realized early on I was going to hurt somewhere as I ride so I just do my best to focus on the ride and not the pain.
Pain is a funny thing - if you focus on it, it gets worse - at least in our heads. ;)
I've found IcyHot balm is my friend when it gets really bad as I already take prescription NSAIDS.
I work out normally for 1 1/2 to 2 hours day as movement also helps.
It is what it is and I know for me if I quit riding it would get worse - especially mentally.
Every time I have to go in for 'repairs' I wonder if this one will be the one that stops me from riding - but not so far!
I plan my rides (already planning next year) because if I don't plan them I won't go.
I may not make all of them, but "He who aims at nothing usually hits it!" ;)
All you can do in life is play the hand you are dealt as best as you can for as long as you can.

What an interesting thread.

My wife has some arthritis in her right hand and has a nutritionist who has helped her a lot.

Nearly every night, I rub her affected fingers with a concoction of Frankincense, cod liver oil and DMSO. That is not getting to the root cause of the issue, but my wife says she has no pain in her joints. I just ordered some therapy putty for her and she is looking up hand exercises on the internet.

I've heard there is a connection between fluoride in the water and arthritis, but I don't know for sure if there is. I got a Big Berkey with the fluoride filters just in case.

What an interesting thread.

My wife has some arthritis in her right hand and has a nutritionist who has helped her a lot.

Nearly every night, I rub her affected fingers with a concoction of Frankincense, cod liver oil and DMSO. That is not getting to the root cause of the issue, but my wife says she has no pain in her joints. I just ordered some therapy putty for her and she is looking up hand exercises on the internet.

I've heard there is a connection between fluoride in the water and arthritis, but I don't know for sure if there is. I got a Big Berkey with the fluoride filters just in case.
I seem to be the lucky one in my family, grandma riddled with arthritis, she was the first woman in Europe to receive a new hip. Spent the rest of her life in pain. Dad had a lot of replacement parts in his late fifties. And I am a long way away from that.
I think that my problem is that I am realizing that I have had more days behind me than lay in front. I know that our time is limited and this one life we have is all we get. Sometimes in the dead of night I contemplate "non existence" No heaven, no hell, back to where you were before being born, nowhere, not existing, nothing.
Brrr!
Each and every twinge and hurt and snap crackle and pop is a stark reminder that things are going to be worse before the end.
And on that sombre note I am going to drag my carcass off to work.

Bar risers. Sometimes just a bit is all you need. I did the "clip flip" on my ST and that made a world of difference. My hand Dr. said any hand tool, motorcycle handlebar, etc. the grip diameter needed to be increased. Installed "Grip Puppies". Makes the grips much fatter, which was very weird in the beginning, but I got used to it. Huge difference. Also have a cramp buster. Small changes made a big difference.

I seem to be the lucky one in my family, grandma riddled with arthritis, she was the first woman in Europe to receive a new hip. Spent the rest of her life in pain. Dad had a lot of replacement parts in his late fifties. And I am a long way away from that.
I think that my problem is that I am realizing that I have had more days behind me than lay in front. I know that our time is limited and this one life we have is all we get. Sometimes in the dead of night I contemplate "non existence" No heaven, no hell, back to where you were before being born, nowhere, not existing, nothing.
Brrr!
Each and every twinge and hurt and snap crackle and pop is a stark reminder that things are going to be worse before the end.
And on that sombre note I am going to drag my carcass off to work.
I'm fortunate that the game never ends for me even when I part ways with my physical body. Allows me to have a different perspective on life. I look at whatever happens to me here on this mudball as temporary as good or bad as it may be. That said, I think there's positive psychology with the other position in that if you feel that this existence is all you have, you may be more motivated to make the best of it.

I have worked in the medical field around a lot of seniors and they'd all tell me not to get old since it's not worth it. Yep, is going to be challenging for sure and, like you, I am keenly aware that fewer days lay in front of me. I'm blessed to have very little wrong with me other than a pulled muscle or tendon somewhere in my right shoulder and eyesight and hearing that isn't what it used to be. I do need to get in better shape, though.

I thought I would add this here as it seemed appropriate. (I promise this story goes somewhere and ends in motorcycle relevance)

I play with a police pipe band and we played a Line Of Duty Funeral a little over a week ago. It was long. We stood in the sun. I got too hot, too dry and too hungry all of which put me in the back of an ambulance with a fainting spell. (if you are going to have this happen it couldn't be in a better place since fully half the crowd in attendance were trained EMTs.) I went to see our little Nurse Practitioner. My wife told her that she thought my right foot looked blue at times. The NP ordered an ultrasound on my legs also because I had been having a little trouble with my legs swelling (although it has not been as bad since I have been losing weight and exercising.)

I had the scan done today and they sent me to the emergency room! It seems that I have a partial deep vein thrombosis. The ER Doctor said that it was in my right thigh and he indicated that it was involved from the knee to the groin. I have been put on blood thinners (double dose for 7 days) to clear it out

It's been a long day. I kind of freaked out when they sent me to the ER but I guess these things are to be expected. The biggest thing is I have been warned off razors (electric shavers from now on) and I guess I am going to have to put my motorcycle away for a while. They said any kind of fall or head wound could be disastrous. I wear a helmet and all the proper gear but a fall is a fall and any kind of cut or scrape is possible. I feel like I am slowly falling apart. I have taken steps to ward this off. I do not want the game to end but that may be out of my control. I am going to go ride tomorrow before I start the meds.

I wish you well, and quick healing...and hopefully a few more years of riding. Eventually, I will reach that point where my mind wants to ride, but my body says no.

I'm debating between my Subaru Outback and a Mazda Miata. I know the Subaru sounds kinda lame, but it has a turbo in it. It's like a Subaru WRX in disguise. So do I transition to the sleeper car? Or go to the Miata. Choices. Choices. :)

Chris

I thought I would add this here as it seemed appropriate. (I promise this story goes somewhere and ends in motorcycle relevance)

I play with a police pipe band and we played a Line Of Duty Funeral a little over a week ago. It was long. We stood in the sun. I got too hot, too dry and too hungry all of which put me in the back of an ambulance with a fainting spell. (if you are going to have this happen it couldn't be in a better place since fully half the crowd in attendance were trained EMTs.) I went to see our little Nurse Practitioner. My wife told her that she thought my right foot looked blue at times. The NP ordered an ultrasound on my legs also because I had been having a little trouble with my legs swelling (although it has not been as bad since I have been losing weight and exercising.)

I had the scan done today and they sent me to the emergency room! It seems that I have a partial deep vein thrombosis. The ER Doctor said that it was in my right thigh and he indicated that it was involved from the knee to the groin. I have been put on blood thinners (double dose for 7 days) to clear it out

It's been a long day. I kind of freaked out when they sent me to the ER but I guess these things are to be expected. The biggest thing is I have been warned off razors (electric shavers from now on) and I guess I am going to have to put my motorcycle away for a while. They said any kind of fall or head wound could be disastrous. I wear a helmet and all the proper gear but a fall is a fall and any kind of cut or scrape is possible. I feel like I am slowly falling apart. I have taken steps to ward this off. I do not want the game to end but that may be out of my control. I am going to go ride tomorrow before I start the meds.
Dang. You're too young for this. I hope everything turns out ok and you can keep riding.

My cloes

My closest friend in life has been on blood thinners for 40 something years. It hasn't stopped her from enjoying life. She rides with me, she jumped out of an airplane, and she shaves on a regular basis. Risk acceptance is yours and yours alone. This diagnosis may be a shock right now and it might mean some adjustments to everyday living but you can and will navigate it.

Last edited:
I do not want the game to end but that may be out of my control.
Hogwash!... You're still in control and lots of things you can do to prevent DVT.

Loose some weight - that alone prevents a lot of issues and just takes some commitment with regards to what you eat/drink.

Exercise - make a healthy lifestyle your new hobby and it will pay off quickly.

Sorry about your issues but "Do not go gentle into that good night"

LOL I sang that song to my wife in May of 2014

I passed 64 a decade ago. Yes, sometimes things hurt. Knees, back, thumb joints, sit bones. Some med issues means I take a few pills now to stave off the real dire things. Basically done real long distance riding (not riding to Maine, or Florida or California these days) and just doing day rides for the most part and a couple short non freeway tours usually. I traded my FJR in on an NC 750 DCT in 2021. At first, I thought I made a mistake. Missed big power, big brakes, cruise, giant wind protection and huge luggage capacity, but have learned in the last 3 years and 51,000 miles I don't need all that anymore. The DCT is absolutely brilliant, and pushing a sub 500 pound motorcycle around instead of a 600-700 pound one is a god send for me. I've averaged riding 305 days and 22,371 miles a year for the last 10 years. Today will be day 263 of riding for me this year with 76 days left in the year for a possible 339 days of riding, but I will probably only make about 18,000 miles this year since I didn't take my usual two yearly tours this year.

We do what we have to do to keep on riding.

trhotyF.jpg

B0HC3XJ.jpg

You'll figure a way, if the desire is strong enough

Back
Top Bottom