I dont want the game to end.

I am on the cusp of becoming 64, just another few weeks and then I´ll be singing...:

"When I get older losing my hair
Many years from now
Will you still be sending me a Valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine."

Well the getting older has happened and now here I am. Recently over the last few years I have noticed that I hurt after rinding, knees for one, but who needs knees on a bike? More worrying is the thumb saddle on both hands. Arthritis is showing me my limits and when you get off the bike and cant open your hands then I start to wonder how it will be in a few years
I have tried to polster the grips but find it uncomfortable after a few km´s. Best would be a way to have my hands on the bars without gripping but I don´t know how to do that.
Am I really looking at the end of the road if I can´t find a solution?

Well, I have a 'few' years on you and lots of hand surgeries behind me.
I use grips that are fat in the middle and skinny on the ends - basically shaped to the natural shape of your hands.
Don't know if you can source something like this or not -

Rojen Grips 151-00001 From Flanders.jpg

You have to cut out the ends to work with bar weights but that just takes a sharpened piece of pipe and a flat surface.
The built in throttle tab is also nice as I can operate the throttle without a tight grip on it.

@Slammer you kids. Wait until you're old like me at 67. Nothing but pain.

On the other hurting hand, I use a cruise control that I installed on my bike and it helps a bunch. The other sugestion would be a cramp buster device. I didn't know they made so many styles but I guess I have a CB4 design.

+1 for the Crampbusters, or an equivalent. Normally they are for the throttle side, but I've seen ones for the clutch side too. I've had them on my last 3 bikes.

I run one of these on my throttle. I've had arthritis in my hands for over 40 years. These totally relieve the need to 'grip' the throttle. There IS a learning curve. They are VERY similar to the crampbuster posted above. You do NOT want the one with the velcro strap. All plastic is best. Get the one for the correct size bars. If your ST bars are stock, that is ¾". I have one for the left side also as that hand gets pain sometime. It relieves the 'gripping'.
1726347456245.png

This is the best throttle lock I've used.

1726347696798.png
This is a "Go Cruise". This works MUCH better than the metal ones.

Growing old sucks, but not as badly as not getting any older. I'm nearing 74 and am beginning to feel the pain...literally. Thumb joints are hurting with little to no provocation. Had my first leg cramp on a ride just this past Thursday, big knot in my left calf while I was in traffic at 75mph and no shoulders to pull off onto or exit in sight. I was able to extend the MCL footrest and prop my leg onto it. Got the leg straight and the pain slowly went away. That one had me worried for a few minutes.
I was able to ignore the pain and 'fix' the cramp without losing control or endangering anyone else....as long as I can manage that level of focus, I'll continue riding. At some point I may have to downsize bikes or consider a tricycle, there are some sharp looking trikes available.
Make the most of life while it still goes on.

Determination is the key here. Your love of riding must be greater than the pain:(. Seriously its a b but it can be done. I'm hurting a little more too than I use to but on those longer rides some ibuprophen makes all the difference.

Some of us are right behind you in age.
How I combat ageing hands is cruise control, heated grips and cramp busters palm rests on both sides.
I installed an audio vox true cruise control, I have bar ends cruise control and a back up grip lock if the others fail.
Wife’s bike has factory cruise and factory heated grips, spoiled brat I call her. It's a dreams come true rather than the 3 cruise control systems I use.

Maybe don't change the game, but the equipment? Not sure what you ride but maybe something like a Goldwing could lengthen your riding years? 'Specialy with a cruise control? And a back rest? And foot pegs?

Just throwing my 2c 'cuz I know it's coming.

Maybe don't change the game, but the equipment? Not sure what you ride but maybe something like a Goldwing could lengthen your riding years? 'Specialy with a cruise control? And a back rest? And foot pegs?

Just throwing my 2c 'cuz I know it's coming.
Or course you can add all that stuff to a ST1100/ST1300 cheaper than you could buy a Goldwing ... ;)

At 65 I was bemoaning the loss of my first love, sport bikes. I have always had a weakness for the Moto Guzzi Me Mans has always been a personal favorite. My VFR800 was a solid traveling companion and my VTR1000 was a laugh riot of power and speed but I have out grown them all. It's my knees you see. I can't wad myself up and stretch myself to the bars like I used to without massive leg cramps. Even my Norton, which has a very strange riding position, has become difficult.

My grip is still pretty strong but just this weekend I had a sever pain in my right thumb that could not be explained by strain or injury. I figure that I have to ride while I can and make sure I savor the experience every time.

(edit) I don't want to give anyone a false impression. When I say "I love sport bikes" it means just that. I was never the fast guy. I have only dragged my knee on the track at a track day. I was/am a cowered on the road. There are too many unknowns from loose gravel, bad drivers, hiding cops and jumping deer for me to ever ride WFO.

Last edited:
I am going to be 75 next week. Was over at my local Honda Shop a couple of weeks ago and they a new NC750X with dual clutch.( auto shift) Told my self that might be the way to go in the future when I can't pull the clutch lever any more. Got home and had to shuffle my bikes around in the garage as I wanted to ride my V-Strom. Needed to move it to the front and put the FJR in the back of the garage. Well I might be getting that NC sooner than I would like as I sprained or pulled some ligaments in my left wrist pushing motorcycles around. Haven't been able to ride for a week and a half now and don't think I will be able to for at least another week. The wrist is in one of those Velcro wrist braces. I was hoping to make it at least another 5 years. Who knows, maybe not. How ever it has giving me the opportunity to take my Jeep Wrangler out more now. :) PS. the wife has some med issues that keep me close to home, so no more over night or long distance rides any more.

1726371682512.png

The day I stop riding is the day I die. As always the ST community delivers, there are ways to make it work I see, however I think I am going to try another way. I have my weighlifting gloves, designed to take the strain just where the bar is and I am thinking it will do the same with a handlebar, I am just going to finish breakfast, then go for a ride and try it out.

"If I'd be out til quarter to three,
would you lock the door?"
Always the worst at understanding or remembering lyrics but what seems to stick is
"Will you still need me,
Will you still feed me..."
I guess I like to eat.
I remember being young listening to the beatles thinking thirty five was old. Sixty four was ancient. But now I'm within weeks myself and I get what you're saying. Or more specifically I feel you as they say. Things are not the same.
I think more about looking a Hayabusa before buying the ST owned by a guy that was 63 who cited health issues as a reason for sale and he didn't look happy. I remember him a lot more than anything about the bike.
I've actually ridden more in the last two weekends between bikes around home a few hours at a time than most of the year.
I just put my Blackbird away spot on the 4700 mile mark last night right after going out and looking at another bike where a much younger seller had lived and riden through considerable adversity knowing half of that would have done me in. And that bike I bought from a guy that was 64, owned it for three months and just couldn't ride it anymore.
I've turned down opportunities for longer rides lately and I think it's got some to do with maybe there's limits to my abilities that I don't want to know this year. Still working full time and with everything I ride less than most I'd say, I don't go far and I don't go for too long, but what I got out of it was it's been worth it. It's been something to have survived this long and had the opportunity to ride these ridiculous things at all.

I'll be 67 in a month. I sold my ST1100 and purchased a Tracer GT 4 seasons ago. Bike characteristics aside, 500 lbs vs. 750 lbs. makes a huge difference when moving the bike around the garage or the shed.

I miss the turbine like smoothness of the ST, its all day long range comfort and the wind and rain protection. The Tracer has a great engine, handles very well and I've spent a few buck on farkles to make it a great sport touring bike. No regrets.

I wonder if natural supplements would help at all?
I'm thinking glucosamine, condroitin, for joint health. I'm no herbalist, but I know a legit one (not like my herbs in the reckless 70s) and it would be worth looking into.
I don't know anything about dealing with arthritis yet.
Stretching and being limber has always been part of my life, I'm not a gym rat but will be when I enroll in another insurance program, which pays for gym membership.

Back
Top Bottom