Advantages of the V4 engine configuration?

Oh come on Lee. The shaft jacking on /5, 6, 7s was extreme and carried on through the monoshock 80s boxers. If ever anyone doubted the adage "never, ever, ever, ever, ever chop the throttle in a turn" found out the hard way when their BMW sank two inches mid-corner and ground a hole in the right hand valve cover before levering the wheels off the pavement or dug the left-side centerstand pedal into the pavement where it broke off being so cheesy. At least after it broke off there was more ground clearance on the left side. Next up on that side was the tang for the side stand, properly ground off from factory length.
We agree. I said it ended with the paralever which first came to the R100GS in 1988 and later to the K bikes, the R100R, and finally the oilheads. Monolevers jacked just like the twin-shockers all the way to the end of the series in 1995. You learn fast not to chop the throttle in a turn. On the other hand, if you brake early and power through the turn, you can use the shaft-jacking effect to increase the ground clearance.

903397-M.jpg

Last edited:
We agree. I said in ended with the paralever which first came to the R100GS in 1988 and later to the K bikes, the R100R, and finally the oilheads. Monolevers jacked just like the twin-shockers all the way to the end of the series in 1995. You learn fast not to chop the throttle in a turn. On the other hand, if you brake early and power through the turn, you can use the shaft-jacking effect to increase the ground clearance.

903397-M.jpg

You know, I think there may have been many riders put off on their first ride on an airhead boxer. It jumps up and down on the suspension in reaction to on and off throttle and rolls from side to side when you blip throttle on downshifts. Big pistons giving massive engine braking on chopped throttle. The engine speed dry clutch and box 'o rocks transmission require dedicated attention for smooth shifts. All pretty unnerving to a guy used to friendly UJMs. The valves clatter and the 360 degree crankshaft gives an uninspired exhaust note. Get on the brakes hard and the long travel forks "collapse like pole-axed mule" if I recall a 1984 Cycle World review correctly. But persevere to get it right and you can feel the heritage of boxer twins stretching all the way back to the twenties when European roads weren't that smooth and corners were tight and narrow. In the 70s to the 90s they went around corners pretty good and still lope down the road today at 85-90 mph with a relaxed candence. In some ways they still haven't changed the essence of the R bike even in 2020.

I think its all just what you are use to. I came to the Honda V4 from an air cooled Kawasaki inline 4 and nothing was wrong with that motor. I thought i hated the V twin engine configuration because my wife had a Harley. Well a few years ago the Indian dealer here was having a open house and giving away free test rides. I chose an Indian Chieftain with a motor upgrade. Well after about 10 minutes into my ride i thought to myself....well yeah now i understand the appeal of this engine design. That being goobs of torque and power down low without revving your rpms up on your motor. Did test ride an air cooled boxer RT. I did not like the shaking of the windscreen at stop lights and it seemed like you had to rev that motor while pulling away or it would stall. Also did not like the "power brakes"on this era of boxer. What i did like about it was as dduelin said i found 75 to 85 was the sweet spot on that motor as it was as smooth or smoother than my ST1100.

... You can see in this pic there was no interference (barely) with my lanky 22 year old appendages before the crash bars were installed. I traded it off for a 1977 R100RS two years later because I wanted to corner harder than it wanted to.

1975%20easy%20rider.jpg

Did you ever ride that 1995 GL1000 in the rain?

If so, I would expect that you remember those good looking disc brakes were next to useless when water drenched.

You did not notice the engine heads being in the way when you put feet down?
Nice photo of what looks like an add-on Vetter fairing and wind screen.

The 1977 R100RS invented sport touring motorcycles.
And here we are 43 years later with a sport touring web site that rarely mentions the R100RS or the later R100RT.

I'm a fan of the old Windjammer fairing. I rode behind one for years. Craig Vetter doesn't get the recognition he deserves for really being the man who introduced the American rider to the notion of the touring bike as we know it.

20140824_135540_Android.jpg

I'm a fan of the old Windjammer fairing. I rode behind one for years. Craig Vetter doesn't get the recognition he deserves for really being the man who introduced the American rider to the notion of the touring bike as we know it.

20140824_135540_Android.jpg
Agreed!

Bike3.jpg

Did you ever ride that 1995 GL1000 in the rain?
If so, I would expect that you remember those good looking disc brakes were next to useless when water drenched.
You mean 1975? YES! No brakes whatsoever until you boiled the water off the discs.

You did not notice the engine heads being in the way when you put feet down?
nope.
Yes, A Windjammer III
The 1977 R100RS invented sport touring motorcycles.
And here we are 43 years later with a sport touring web site that rarely mentions the R100RS or the later R100RT.
That's why I am here!:rofl1:
Here's my old R100RT with a Heinrich 11 gallon tank; 4-piston Brembos; Russell seat, and some rare Krauser K2 luggage that was never sold state-side...

lee_dickinsons_ladero300.jpg

Last edited:
I have a bit of a thing for the R100RT. I've never ridden one, but have always thought that having one with a long-distance tank would make an interesting IBA bike. Quirky, but somehow endearing.

Been considering an ST1300 lately, never actually ridden one yet, been over a year since I sold my ST1100, reading through this thread though, the weight and top heaviness don't sound too appealing, maybe Mellow has the right idea with the Tracer GT.

Ahhhh chestnuts roasting over an (open) fire..... One more advantage to the V-4 configuration is it has provided fodder for discussion that rivals other threads (names withheld to protect nobody). :rofl1:

Regarding the roasted chestnuts,I just acquired a used Corbin seat from here on the forum.In the upper most position,it leaves a large gap between the tank and seat.This may provide me with a bit of relief from the heat,although heat is becoming a desired option here in New England this time of year.

Been considering an ST1300 lately, never actually ridden one yet, been over a year since I sold my ST1100, reading through this thread though, the weight and top heaviness don't sound too appealing, maybe Mellow has the right idea with the Tracer GT.

Uh, Broc11, I’ve never ridden the 1300 but pretty much everything I’ve read about the 1100 supports my view that it’s no light weight and top heavy...

Is this Pot and Kettle having a chat, Bric11?!

Uh, Broc11, I’ve never ridden the 1300 but pretty much everything I’ve read about the 1100 supports my view that it’s no light weight and top heavy...

Is this Pot and Kettle having a chat, Bric11?!
I've never ridden a 1300 as I said only going by what was said here, the 1100 was heavy but not top heavy, she was a beast though to move around but I was well able for her, never dropped her in 7 years ownership!!
Also been looking at FJR's this week, never ridden one of them either, I miss the smooth power of a big tourer, shaft drive as well was great, the newer FJR's have cruise control which would be very handy. also will have to try the new tracer.

Back
Top Bottom