What did you do to / ride to with your Beemer today?

Thanks guys. I'm just jealous of all the cool things you're doing, and frustrated at being forced to sit inside.

If all goes well, I'll make it to the Bun Cooler!

Chris

Just fiddling :thumb:.

Right front intake lobe on my GSA. My conclusion (and BMW's, according to the Service Info Bulletin) is,,,, too hard rocker arm. 48K miles.

IMG_3116.JPEG

All the "special" BMW tools came in (getting aftermarket tools dropped the price drastically). Ready to replace the cam / rockers on the affected cylinder.

IMG_3168.JPEG

This cam will be replaced, along with both rockers.

IMG_3169.JPEG

Now waiting on my new cam / differently (new) designed rocker arms from Max BMW. They have always been good to me when I needed stuff / parts.

Last edited:
This won't sound like much to the rest of you, but I took my first ride yesterday in over two months. My absence from riding wasn't due to snow on the ground though. Mine was from having foot surgery. When your life changes to where a major expedition to plan for is to get down the hallway to pee...you don't think about riding. But as the foot has healed...but not enough...I can see the sun outside and have only been able to dream about being on two wheels. Yesterday, I decided to see if I'd screw up my foot, drop the bike or have a good ride.

FWIW, my doc hasn't given me permission to wear anything other than the velcro "laced" one-size fits all boot.

The college my wife works at, has a culinary arts program. Each spring, they put together "meal kits" for the staff to buy. They sell out quick because you're getting some fantastic food from students who are on their way to being chefs in restaurants. So that was my excuse...to get out and pick it up on the XR.

It went surprisingly well. Down-shifting was pretty easy. Up-shifting was a little harder. I've been walking around with a limp for two reasons. First, because the doc said if I walk on the foot (with that funky boot on), don't roll my foot from heel to toe but keep it flat to allow the bones and tendons to heal. And second, with two months of not using the foot properly, I'm having to teach myself to walk again. Well, things have gotten stiff through these months and down-shifting was like stretching muscles when you're warming up to exercise. It's a little bit of a stretch...but not painful.

And later in the evening, I rode the XR to my Life Group at church. Again, all went well. So two rides on the day when I got back on the seat again.

Oh...and just to prove I did it...because without pictures, it didn't happen...here's the bike in the parking lot at the college.

lwiZb3yb.jpg

Chris

Heal quickly.
Stinks when we can't ride just because our meat suits aren't up for the task.
Even the most well-balanced bikes require some degree of strength, and of course we all rely on our feet to operate controls and prevent us from falling down when we stop.

Just fiddling :thumb:.

Right front intake lobe on my GSA. My conclusion (and BMW's, according to the Service Info Bulletin) is,,,, too hard rocker arm. 48K miles.

View attachment 333825

All the "special" BMW tools came in (getting aftermarket tools dropped the price drastically). Ready to replace the cam / rockers on the affected cylinder.

View attachment 333818

This cam will be replaced, along with both rockers.

View attachment 333817

Now waiting on my new cam / differently (new) designed rocker arms from Max BMW. They have always been good to me when I needed stuff / parts.

Got the new cam and re-designed cam followers in from Max BMW today. Installed, timed, clearences good, and ready to be buttoned up. Did not have to change shims from the old cam.
Unfortunately missing FerrySToc due to this teardown. I'll take the covers off on every future oil changes (6k) just to keep an eye on these. The left cams both still looks good.

Last edited:
A938FB4A-B528-4A2E-A4A0-2104EACA24B6.JPGA938FB4A-B528-4A2E-A4A0-2104EACA24B6.JPG

This project started last Saturday and just completed this morning. I removed the fuel tank, removed the fuel pump, fuel filter and sending unit. After that I pressure washed the inside of the tank with degreaser, placed a new fuel pump, filter, fuel hoses, sending unit, exterior tank fuel hoses, cleaned the fuel rail, preplaced the old fuel injectors with new injectors and micronized the throttle butterflies. I also replaced the gage cluster with a very gently used cluster from EBay. I changed all of the fluids and tires should be here tomorrow. after that I'm going to ride this bad by to Destin, Florida next month to visit my grandkids.

Riding across the USA from Stecoah, North Carolina to Los Angeles, CA and then back home to Houston, Texas. About 9,000 miles in 28 days.

Planned Ride: 2024-05 - TTD & Two Aussies across America - Google My Maps
Actual Ride: Trip: 2024-05 - May Ride (spotwalla.com)

Guiding two Australians from Melbourne, Damian Monkhorst and Brendan Hays on their K1600s across 'merica!

Not all has gone as planned as I scored a new 2023 K1600 GT in Denver while Brendan and Damian have devoured tires causing us to adjust the route.

Most of the pictures are posted here:
Actual Ride across America (ozziesrideusa.com)

Follow the Aussies ride here:
Trip: 2024-05 - Aussies across America (spotwalla.com)

Not all has gone as planned as I scored a new 2023 K1600 GT in Denver while Brendan and Damian have devoured tires causing us to adjust the route.
Andy.. original driveshaft? How many miles on it?
congrats on the new bike, always a fun time even if you would have preferred to push kbik a lot longer.

I understand that K16 is a real beast.
No doubt the least bit of sporty riding would have most tires begging for mercy.
"But I'm too young to die!"

View attachment 334492View attachment 334492

This project started last Saturday and just completed this morning. I removed the fuel tank, removed the fuel pump, fuel filter and sending unit. After that I pressure washed the inside of the tank with degreaser, placed a new fuel pump, filter, fuel hoses, sending unit, exterior tank fuel hoses, cleaned the fuel rail, preplaced the old fuel injectors with new injectors and micronized the throttle butterflies. I also replaced the gage cluster with a very gently used cluster from EBay. I changed all of the fluids and tires should be here tomorrow. after that I'm going to ride this bad by to Destin, Florida next month to visit my grandkids.
Have a real fondness for these old K bikes. Did my Bun Burner Gold on a 1986 K100RS with about 90,000 miles on it at the time.
Current K bike:

Attachments

• IMG_6046.jpg
    IMG_6046.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 8
If you ever need help with the K1100RS , then get in touch.
There is a forum in Germany that only deals with the K models.
It is just like this forum here, simply world class.
This forum is also available in English. The original BMW repair instructions can be officially downloaded there, only this forum has the permission of BMW.
You have to register and write 10 posts.

flyingbrick.com

greetings holm from germany

Back
Top Bottom