Wow... pricing on new K1600s... that is amazing

There are a couple of after market suspension outfits "re-building" the ESA units for less than that, for the GS anyway. What they're doing is fitting the ESA plumbing and stuff to their own shocks, with or without spring upgrades giving you a completely custom tuned set up that can be rebuilt in future. After one season with ESA, I'd never buy another ST or similar bike without it.

Yeah, Works, HyperPro and Wilbers has ESA compatible shocks... they are about the same as the price of non-ESA shocks... I looked into them when my original shocks needed replacing at 42K... I opted for Ohlins instead and am happy with that decision. But you can retain the ESA functionality with aftermarket and save a lot over the BMW ones. BTW, rumor has it that Ohlins are working on ESA compatible replacement shocks as well.

After one season with ESA, I'd never buy another ST or similar bike without it.
On the other hand, I am sure you have heard the riders that say once the new wears off and once he had set the suspension to his liking he didn't really mess with it again. I know I have. For that rider ESA is the answer to a question he didn't ask. At least it is an option.

To walk out the door with one of these will set you back $30,000. Count on it.

Umm...okay, but could you please alert BMWNA that their pricing is evidently innacurate.

That or you are anticipating dealers are going to be collecting thousands over MSRP for a "market adjustment", which I can assure will not be the case.

At least it is an option.

And a very useful option at that... ESA just plain works... the differences between Sport and Comfort were amazing... in the twisties, click Sport and the suspension firms up, on the superslab?... just hit Comfort and enjoy the ride. And that was ESA version 1... ESA II is out and adds more options. I just wish the part wasn't so expensive to replace directly from BMW.

And a very useful option at that... ESA just plain works... the differences between Sport and Comfort were amazing... in the twisties, click Sport and the suspension firms up, on the superslab?... just hit Comfort and enjoy the ride. And that was ESA version 1... ESA II is out and adds more options. I just wish the part wasn't so expensive to replace directly from BMW.

What does a shock set for ESA II cost, aren't they the ones with the polymer or play dough that alters spring rate on top of preload and damping?

I wish the Little Rock dealer didn't close, I'd go look at one. That's about all I'd do... is look. The 1600 looks way bigger than the 1300, sort of sized between a K1300GT and a LT1300. It sure is cool looking though. And straight-6's are what BMW does best, IMO.

It's a shame that BMW/Triumph dealer closed, too many hillbillies on cruisers around here I guess. I'd like to check out the new Speed Triple, also.

On the other hand, I am sure you have heard the riders that say once the new wears off and once he had set the suspension to his liking he didn't really mess with it again.
I'm sure there are. In my case I don't have the luxury of a dedicated single purpose bike. On a single trip my pre-load can change 3 or 4 time due to the way my wife and I travel. Having the ability to change the damping on the fly is worth the price to me. A lot of it has to due with where you ride. A consistent road surface is totally alien to my part of the world.

When I first got the GS I locked the front wheel in a floor chock and played with the ESA. I'd already ridden it and fallen for the adjustable damping. Loading the bike and checking front and rear sag with the 3 settings confirmed that the ESA was very close to what my weight/load combinations dictated in street mode. Off road is a whole other ball game that I hope to explore this season (another full range of settings)......... It's very tasty Kool Aide. :)

I just read all the posts... this new BMW has created excitement, debate, lust, dislike, drooling, debate over costs of ownership, etc.

I commend BMW for doing what many of us sneer at Honda for NOT doing. And at the same time I commend Honda for NOT doing what BMW is doing with this bike. So I'm a confused potential buyer--that's not all bad.

This bike is good for the market, is good for Honda, is good for BMW, is good for us even if we don't buy it, for whatever reason.

Kudos to BMW for pushing the envelope. :yes:

Just my opinion.

What do they say it gets for fuel mileage? The more the cylinders the worse the mileage so the current wisdom goes. But whats the actual?

According to BMW it is more fuel efficient than the K1300GT.

What do they say it gets for fuel mileage? The more the cylinders the worse the mileage so the current wisdom goes. But whats the actual?

Not really... depends on the design and technology.

I read something either from the early press releases or from this month's press "first ride" impression that it delivered in the low 40's. I thought at the time "that is as good or better than my ST", which averages about 42 mpg.

There are so many factors that affect mileage, I'm just saying it's not as simple as more cylinders = less mileage... it depends on what the engine has to do, aerodynamics, weight, size of each cylinder, etc etc..

My wings would get high 30's to low 40's .. my ST is low 40's to mid 40's...

Some might say when will WE come to our senses and sell our gas guzzling STs and get scooters. :rofl1:

From Jim at Gengras BMW: All of the 2011 K1600's will be fully loaded with premium packages. No base or middle of the road models will be available in 2011. The majority will be GT-L's with just a few GT's. MSRP $27,300 and up.

Looks good even with the bags & trunk off.

BMW-K-1600-GTL.jpg

I was at Engle's BMW in Kansas City about a month ago, contemplating trading my ST for the 1200RT... got to talking to the salesman about the new 1600. He told me the price would be close to $27K at time of sale, they had already sold about a half dozen, sight unseen!

Back
Top Bottom