TGIF, Sept 13th 2024

Morning all! Sunnyish with blue sky and scattered clouds. Rain is forecast for this afternoon, it's currently 13C and we'll get a whole 2 degrees warmer with 15C as a high. Should make for an interesting ride home.

Todd, that really sucks about your neighbour's dog, I am really sorry to hear that.

The plumber was in the house yesterday and I can't believe how much pipe he laid (shout out to David Wilcox) in one day. Unfortunately we're also having a battle with the hydro folks. We're upgrading from 100 amp to 200 amp service and new wire needs to be run from the box at the road. Hydro will only pull 30 metres of cable for the new wiring due to union regulations. The current meter is far more than 30 metres from the road which means we either have to install the meter halfway to the house or run an entirely new line to a different spot on the house and install a new meter there. The contractor is going to try and figure out a solution so fingers crossed. The electrician has someone lined up who is happy to do the pull for any distance but we need hydro to sign off.

On a happier note, arrived home yesterday and the garage door with opener had been installed and the ST spent the first night back in the carport in months. I could get used to not having to pull the cover over it every night.

Hope everyone has a great day and may your pipes be clean!

Good morning all!
Thanks for the start Martin!
I enjoyed having those breakfasts when I was in Nottingham!

@nicksacco
Yesterday's test ride went well yesterday and the RTV is officially on the job.
Glad to hear your project is up & running! Pictures?

We had a fishing boat sink here last week, it is now floating again!
It only took a week to get the spill contained & the boat re-floated.

Miss Judy’s recovery is now in a higher gear! She is doing much better!

Take care today!
WB

Thanks WBill.
I'll post some hopefully tomorrow - looks like rain all day today.
Heck, I don't want it to get dirty THIS soon!

Hopefully you don't get a new stove again.... fitment being an issue in the past ;)
Thankfully, the stove stays put.
However, in the end and after all my bitching and whining, the fitment is (actually) perfect!
While that may sound like a boastful statement, very much like Keith, I am my own worst critic.
I'm happy with the work, and that's what matters most.
The fact that Roz is good with it too, is just a bonus.

Morning Martin & All from sunny (and less SoCal smoke) in Southern Utah!

Currently it is 67F and heading for 81F. A slight breeze now, but later we should see the winds from the W @ 9 to 12mph.

Yesterday, I ordered another 20yards of gravel and two more rolls of 6' wide landscaping cloth. The load should arrive on Monday or Tuesday. That should keep me busy for the rest of this year.

Again, not sure what today will bring, but I think another day of no yard work sounds good!

Hot cereal with toast & OJ. Pepsi(s) to come later.

Anyone :bl13:, have a great day on the roads! :hat3:

Hydro will only pull 30 metres of cable for the new wiring due to union regulations.
Union regulations? Are you sure that is the reason, because it doesn't sound right. It might possibly be a restriction imposed by the utility company for technical reasons.
We have the same 30 metre restriction here but it has nothing to do with the union. Hydro-Quebec will only run 30 metres (about 100 feet) of service wire from the nearest utility pole. If the service entrance on your building is more than 100 feet away from the nearest utility pole another pole has to be installed, or the entrance moved to another location that will be within the 30 metres if that is possible. I always assumed that this was a technical restriction in that the length of the unsupported wire could not exceed 100 feet, presumably because there would be to much strain and sag on it. Maybe the electricians on here can explain it.

The reason that I mention it is just a heads up to make sure that you know what everyone is talking about, and that they know what they are talking about, and that you understand what you are agreeing to with the utility company and what responsibilities might change ownership because of the extended length beyond 30 metres.

In rural areas here it is common for the house to be more than 30 metres away from the nearest utility pole. Because it is on private property the property owner has to foot the bill to have any additional poles put in to get the distance within the 30 metres. Hydro-Quebec is responsible for the wiring up to the connection at the service entrance on the building. There have been cases where people had Hydro-Quebec sign-off on installing the service wire when the distance was more than 30 metres from the pole but what they failed to realize is that they also agreed that Hydro-Quebec's responsibility for the wires now ended at the last pole instead of at the service entrance connection because it was a non-standard installation. This means that if there is a failure of the wires from the pole to the service entrance in the middle of the night on a long week-end you have to foot the bill for emergency service to get reconnected.

Union regulations? Are you sure that is the reason, because it doesn't sound right. It might possibly be a restriction imposed by the utility company for technical reasons.
We have the same 30 metre restriction here but it has nothing to do with the union. Hydro-Quebec will only run 30 metres (about 100 feet) of service wire from the nearest utility pole. If the service entrance on your building is more than 100 feet away from the nearest utility pole another pole has to be installed, or the entrance moved to another location that will be within the 30 metres if that is possible. I always assumed that this was a technical restriction in that the length of the unsupported wire could not exceed 100 feet, presumably because there would be to much strain and sag on it. Maybe the electricians on here can explain it.

The reason that I mention it is just a heads up to make sure that you know what everyone is talking about, and that they know what they are talking about, and that you understand what you are agreeing to with the utility company and what responsibilities might change ownership because of the extended length beyond 30 metres.

In rural areas here it is common for the house to be more than 30 metres away from the nearest utility pole. Because it is on private property the property owner has to foot the bill to have any additional poles put in to get the distance within the 30 metres. Hydro-Quebec is responsible for the wiring up to the connection at the service entrance on the building. There have been cases where people had Hydro-Quebec sign-off on installing the service wire when the distance was more than 30 metres from the pole but what they failed to realize is that they also agreed that Hydro-Quebec's responsibility for the wires now ended at the last pole instead of at the service entrance connection because it was a non-standard installation. This means that if there is a failure of the wires from the pole to the service entrance in the middle of the night on a long week-end you have to foot the bill for emergency service to get reconnected.
Good to know Andrew thanks!

My understanding from the contractor is that it is union regulations, I trust him. But I wonder if there are other technical variables such as you mention at play. The wire will be run underground so no poles required.

The BC Hydro website states;

Service length​

The total allowable cable length, from the property line to the meter base, is 30 metres (100 feet). If the cable length exceeds 30 metres and is approved by BC Hydro, additional charges will apply.

To your point, the question is if they do provide approval, with the extra charges of course, will they accept responsibility? Based upon what you've said, I expect one of the conditions of approval is that I accept responsibility past 30 metres.

@Weaselinsuit if the service meter is on the "pole" where the line starts underground towards your home, that's usually where their responsibilities end, similar to how it is on your house - it stops at the meter, regardless if they sell you or install the rest of the line to the house.
Yeah, that was my understanding as well. I am hoping we can run the line from the street underground to the existing meter location. But the contractor did mention installing a pole if necessary on the property for the meter and then I am responsible from there to the house. A pole installation would run about $2K. Fingers crossed we can get it pulled underground to the meter on the house.

Good morning/afternoon and thanks Martin.

75, overcast with passing showers is making the day kind of blah. The sun might be out later so there's still hope.

Yesterdays bike wash was a success and turned into a full hydraulic fluid replacement on the V Strom.

Stay safe!!

My understanding from the contractor is that it is union regulations,
That is a strange one indeed if it is the case. Presumably the utility workers are paid by the hour, not the installation, so I can't imagine that they give a darn how long the wire run is.

Anyway, I just wanted to bring it to your attention so that you can ask about it and protect yourself as I know that you have had enough bad luck with contractors to date.
Good luck with the renos.

Back
Top Bottom