st1100 windshild

I have a 2002 st1100 and wondering what is a good after market windshield to go with, and where to get it from? Any help would be great thanks....Living the dream in Reno

Depends on what you want from a windshield. Some, as above, like the short style. You get wind in your face, but it's non-buffeting. Depending on your helmet, may be loud, even with earplugs. Others want more protection, and go for a Clearview, which is wider than most, and keeps wind off the arms better. I tried several shields: OEM, Clearview, Laminar combo, and now Rifle. I felt the Clearview was too large. I didn't care about wind on the arms and shoulders. The Laminar Combo still didn't keep the wind out of my face, although it did feel sportier, and improved the MPG. I was looking for a shield that I could look over and still stay out of the wind. I am now using a Rifle+6 with a Laminar lip which does that job. Still a little noisy, as wind comes around from the side, but I'll stick with it for a while.

Bill

laminar lip combo works for me.
We had 2 ST1100s when I bought the laminar lip combo and after mounting it I had my brother in law for a ride. We switched bikes back and forth.
At the end of the ride he said (and I agreed) that he knew which one he'd be riding all the time... the lip works...

Mark

I had a +2 Clearview on my '93, with Saeng edging. I looked just over the top. It worked great.

I have a cee baily +2wide,+6tall. I'm not tall but like a T ride much more than S. I can see over it because I have pull back handlebars but I'm going to cut it down some because the back of my neck gets really sore and achy - I assume from too much back pressure.

If your going for a taller aftermarket sheild, try to find one with a flip on the top similar to the factory unit, or a laminar lip. Some of the models presented here are good in that respect. The effective protection offered by the top edge shape is critical. I put a Cee Baileys +4" on my 2002 and it only added 2" of additional tubulence protection over the stock windshield. Some have gone +6 or more, only to find that turbulence is much worse while following a large vehicle. The shorter you keep the frontal area offers a few advantages. Also look at the material they are made from, A polcarbonate shield will be much tougher and less likely to crack as compared to an acrylic shield.

I share your dilemna. I thought my stock was bad. I bought a used Givi. The buffetting is worse. I'd like to try the lip but I hate to spend more $ if I don't know the results. If possible, borrow someone's to try first. I don't have that luxury.

John,

To 'try' a lip you can take a piece of Plexiglas and bend it around the top of your shield. It ought to be about 4" wide (length is whatever will work). Attachment by the industrial strength velcro.
Or: I seem to remember someone testing the theory with cardboard (not in the rain!) and deciding to buy the lip due to the results of the cardboard testing.

Mark

Last edited:
Mark, now that you mention it, I also remember that post. Now just to get ahold of some thin plexiglas and to get used to the looks of the lip!!! Thanks for the tip. Sorry to hijack.

I'm really happy with my Rifle. Got it direct from the mfg., quick and good service. It used to be a +2 but since the bike fell off the lift it's no about a -8.:) I'll get a longer one when the weather cools...

I recently put a Laminar Lip on the stock shield on my 2000 ST with stock bars and seat. I started with a Lip because it was the lowest cost option that had positive reports. It can also be removed when not wanted and can be used on more than one type of shield (check the LL web site).

I can see over the top of the lip and the air flow just brushes the top of my helmet (I'm 6'1"). The change in noise level is remarkable; I hear far less wind and more road and engine. If I sit up tall I can still catch air at eye level. Overall it was worth the money.

My sometimes passenger says the buffeting is less with the Lip, but she is definitely not in the same calm pocket as me. She previously complained of back pressure trying to force her helmet forward and now reports no such problem. I think it will take one of the Rifle or Clearview "+" shields to move the air stream out around the passenger.

Hope this helps

Dave, I've been thinking about a lip for my '99. I'm 6ft. and am used to only a small cafe fairing on my XS. Sounds like you would recommend it?
Exactly where did you mount it on the stock shield?

In chronological order, my ST11 has seen stock, Clearview, Givi, and finally Rifle. I think the Rifle is the quietest, with me looking just over the top and being able to ride at all speeds with my helmet visor in the up position, no earplugs. Rain, sleet and snow change everything.

DeanR,
The Lip is mounted so that about half of it overlaps the top of the stock shield. I could move it up a little farther (Laminar supplied extra lock-grip buttons) but haven't seen the need yet.
Dave

Dave. So you're saying about half the lip is extended up beyond stock?

Bridgeman. Does your Rifle have any identifying markings? I have a 22in shield from previous owner that I immediately removed because I have to look through it. Will probably try to take a few inches off it, before trying other options. Anyway, it has no curve at the top. Just a straight shield. Might this be a Rifle? It seems most of the others have a curve in them. It has no name on it. It sure took the wind off me on my single short ride, but can't be looking through plastic
Thanks guys

I just checked; the laminar shield is an almost straight shield. I thought it was straight until I laid the tape measure on it.

I have the the lip positioned at the very top of the laminar shield's factory velcro placement. The lip is 2" higher than the shield with end of a tape measure touching the top of the shield.

My chin is above the top of the shield when riding and when I do look through it I have a single line across that is both the top of the shield and the bottom of the lip.

Mark

I bought a Rifle for my ST and am quite pleased with it. I bought the smoked 20" version. It is 4" taller than stock, yet I can easily see over it. I ordered it direct from the web-site, $139.00 plus shipping.

Malks

It is very straight, right up from the fairing and it curves around at the sides. I have found that most of the buffeting around my helmet has stopped since I went for the slightly higher sheild. There are no markings on it what so ever, not even the manufacturer's name, which kind of surprised me. It bolted staight on without any modifications or problems. It arrived from California in less than two weeks, not bad for International shipping.

www.rifle.com

Malks

DeanR,

No, it has no markings of any kind. I agree, it isn't good to look through the windshield, and I've found over the years that most are quite easy to trim down. I've had good results putting the things in a wood vise lined with dense foam rubber to prevent marring (and gripping only across the "flats"), and then turning loose on it with my belt sander/coarse grit for the rough cuts, and then a medium and finally a very fine grit (you can almost polish the edges with the latter). A blast or two of compressed air will take away all of the fine white shavings that want to cling to the shield). I've trimmed down several Clearviews this way (top and sides), but found the Rifle 20" works fine right out of the box, no trimming required.

Back
Top Bottom